Baby Bugatti

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I want one of these badly, they're very cool, but I've no desire for any minis because it always seems to be windy at my local field and the wind tosses my ~40" models around enough. Once I finish my other two ongoing projects I think I'll fire up inkscape and scale it up and modify it just enough for it to fit my modified standard power pod and C power pack.

FWIW; I flew it in pretty decent winds at both FFEast and FFWest, and my home field is never calm - it handles wind rather well. If you don't have A-pack size stuff, I get it, but I haven't found it to be "delicate" by any stretch.

Allenhat

Do I spy a Warhammer reference at the left there? Dark Angels?

5th company. I started my army with 5th edition. The bottom of the wing has the black/green/cream checkerboard company markings on it.

I have too many hobbies.

I can confirm that I handles the wing pretty well. It was plenty breezy when I flew mine at Flitefest and it did quite well. The high wing loading helps a lot. I was surprised how well it slowed down though. It's also pretty tough but it certainly isn't beginner friendly in my opinion.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
well after having to teach the guy @ office max how to print, and convincing him it was copyrighted, but still free and ok to print, i got a full set of plans for BB.

and so it begins...

20170720_145953.jpg

may have some questions but before i ask a dumb one that will obviously be answered as i build i will wait. with that said, power pod looks mighty small for a "typical" FT mini-pod. we will see, i check the reference gauge on the plans and 1" was 1" so i am crossing my fingers and powering ahead...

laters,

jason ;)

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
well after having to teach the guy @ office max how to print,

That is something you definitely have to do. I have to do it here in Mexico. The last time, the girl selected ARCH D instead of ANSI D, and it took me a while to decipher the problem.

Last edited:

jpot1

Elite member
175% not so "baby" Bugatti underway. Two wing halves joined FT style. Ready for foldover. Thinking I'll double up the spar and see about inserting the aileron servos in the wing.

IMG_0537.JPG

JakeTheSloth

Well, I made my yesterday and I have to say one thing - it's not easy to fly. This plane doesn't glide, like at all, you have to throw it up in air and give it some speed and keep it to keep plane airborne. Don't climb hard with low throttle or you'll tipstall and probably won't retrieve. Better don't fly until battery is low and you can't have at least half of throttle on 3s battery and you're in place where people are walking around, there's a lot of bushes or trees etc. because you're simply not going to land where you want to, but where the plane wants to. My advice is that you better make Mini F-22, it's a great plane, I made at least 5 copies of it (some were crashed by me, some by my brothers) and I learned how to fly fast and small planes with ailerons on it. If you're still going to build this one, keep those advices in mind, and also - use smaller servos than 9g, 3,7g are perfect IMO,
but 5g will do, and better maiden it in open area with soft and high grass around, otherwise you'll probably break it after few throws. Launch at slightly more than 50% of throttle. Reduce throws to LOW if you want the plane to be controlable by pilot with non superhuman reflex and precision.
Good luck :) Here's my BB just before maiden and after few flights and meeting with a low voltage pole.
HINT: better paint it. Using tape is causing these stripes to show. Getting rid of those is very annoying and more time consuming than making model itself :p
bug1.png bug2.png

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Great looking build!! And yea, you're on track with a lot of those observations - it's a little speed demon just itching for a pylon to race around, like it's original historical design. Also the Baby Baron is another pocket rocket that has all the same characteristics. So in the words of Tim Gunn - "If that's the look you're going for, it's a good one!" :)

jpot1

Elite member
175% not so "baby" Bugatti underway. Two wing halves joined FT style. Ready for foldover. Thinking I'll double up the spar and see about inserting the aileron servos in the wing.

More progress. Doubled up the spars and removed foam on the bottom to embed the servos in the wing. Also had to melt a little foam on the underside of the top wing for the foldover to sit nicely.

IMG_0209.JPG
IMG_0211.JPG

Michael9865

Elite member
Nice looking BB. I agree with Rockyboy, It was like you where giving a post-flight report for the Baby Baron or Baby Brit. Fly great while you were pouring the coals to them, landing was point it at the runway and fly it all the way in under power or deal with the results. LOL Don't get me wrong, they are a blast to fly and I enjoyed them both.

View attachment 91307

View attachment 91308

Would you be willing to share the graphics that you used for the wings?

JakeTheSloth

Would you be willing to share the graphics that you used for the wings?

Sure https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_4vo9izedYhOThJbVBhVjFlbm8?usp=sharing
It's not HQ. I simply imported BB to GIMP, found some decals in internet, copied and pasted it, then scaled and voila, here are my markings (scaling made those wings look pixelated :/). I encourage you to make your own markings, GIMP is free.
By the way : I rebuild my BB and added some modifications, I mounted elevator servo vertical, I just made a hole in the wing near end of fuselage and glued it to fuselages side, thanks to that pushrods are shorter and more rigid, I didn't use power pod, I used few pieces of foam and glued them directly inside nose, then I glued firewall to it. Now it's very sturdy and more crash resistant than with normal power pod + I have more space. I had some bad time pushing LiPo to planes back (I'm using different foam, and had some CG issues), so I made a rectangural hole in bottom part of wing (not going through upper surface), and now I can push my bat almost to the very back of plane - very important thing - make sure your lipo won't move even 0,5' back or forth, it'll ruin your CG and make you crash. After trimming it and balancing properly it's flying great, it's a little rocket that doesn't just fly like a beast but also look very cool. Thank you guys for making these plans and giving them for free to everyone. You're the best! :)

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose

Flew the Baby Bugatti today. 1806 with a 6x3 and a 1300 2 cell battery. Unfortunately I don't have the right battery to do it justice.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor

Flew the Baby Bugatti today. 1806 with a 6x3 and a 1300 2 cell battery. Unfortunately I don't have the right battery to do it justice.

That's awesome!! Seriously, a 2s is a perfectly fine setup for this bird, it's still fast enough to be fun without being stupid scary. I've been asked to participate in an RC demo at work, and I plan on flying a Baby Bugatti on 2s, to show just that.

Congrats!!

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
That's awesome!! Seriously, a 2s is a perfectly fine setup for this bird, it's still fast enough to be fun without being stupid scary. I've been asked to participate in an RC demo at work, and I plan on flying a Baby Bugatti on 2s, to show just that.

Congrats!!

Thanks. I tamed the beast, but a 1300 2 cell felt like a load. I would have liked to try it with a lighter battery.