BAD SPAD (35.5cc home built S.P.A.D.) specs/info/plans.

MrClean

Not my Lawn Boy, 2 stroke Baby. Alright, Now I have a Honda. Starts real easy but I think the higher blade speed of the 2 stroke Lawn Boy cuts better.
Your motor is running off induced ignition, you have to swing the magnet thourgh the coil fast enough to get a spark. Generally you can't. Most at least put a spring on the back shaft so you wind it up like an old Cox motor and let go. Others use the pull start. If it was just running you MIGHT be able to flip it started but its mostly luck. If you definitely don't want it to start, pull the plug wire. That will be the only time it works and it will be devastating.

MrClean

Sometimes, better is a starter and cone designed for gassers, the normal 12 volt assy's are a little weak but more expensive ones dedicated to big engines work. The problem with the Socket on a drill thing is it's running in the "loosen the prop" direction (Righty tighty, remember?) Don't really want to loosen the prop nut while starting the motor.

I don't have access here at work to better search engines looking for the starter spring but I would imagine if you had your motors type and the measurements of the shaft that you could find a spring from someone. Check on RCGroups with Spring Stater and your motors size in the gasser section.
Bad news about that is there will inevitably be some jerk that will tell you not to waste your time and buy a 500 dollar or more motor for your gutter pipe. There are a couple of shills for the industry in there however there is also help for what we're talking about too. They may tell you to go electronic ignition, that's another battery to take care of and although both my gassers use it I know folks that only have to worry about the RX pack and its fine with them.

MrClean

Sometimes, better is a starter and cone designed for gassers, the normal 12 volt assy's are a little weak but more expensive ones dedicated to big engines work. The problem with the Socket on a drill thing is it's running in the "loosen the prop" direction (Righty tighty, remember?) Don't really want to loosen the prop nut while starting the motor.

I don't have access here at work to better search engines looking for the starter spring but I would imagine if you had your motors type and the measurements of the shaft that you could find a spring from someone. Check on RCGroups with Spring Stater and your motors size in the gasser section.
Bad news about that is there will inevitably be some jerk that will tell you not to waste your time and buy a 500 dollar or more motor for your gutter pipe. There are a couple of shills for the industry in there however there is also help for what we're talking about too. They may tell you to go electronic ignition, that's another battery to take care of and although both my gassers use it I know folks that only have to worry about the RX pack and its fine with them.

i thought about a spinner and drill, but need to find a spinner that will fit a 18X6 APC. any suggestions? i am also trying to come up with another way of rigging a drill to it, but just using a socket on the nut will rip off my arm when the engine catches.

BobK

Banned
I was thinking of using a socket bigger than the nut and putting something inside like rubber tubing.. Something to grip the prop but not the nut, like on a regular starter

i was refering to the eflite one, i think the "Z" stands for the Z-foam. the full scale lsa/ga is called a cub crafters carbon cub, i think. i am looking into getting a good 3d air frame, but am now thinking multiplex stuntmaster, any input?

I am not a 3D flyer but I can tell you, in stock form it's a great sport plane. I think most of the 3D guys are putting on a power 60, bigger prop, and 90A ESC. I know mine flies quite light on a 3200, but is still pretty good with a 4000. I can hover a little, and with a 4000 it won't quite pull out of a hover after the first minute of flying, but will barely with the 3200 (less weight). I am still running the stock tires. I have found that lighter is better. 6 minute flights on the 3200 and just over 7 on a 4000. It's one of my favorite planes. I run the CG at the back of the range. It requires no elevator for inverted where I run my CG. The little red & white sport cub s2 is a pretty good small version of the big cub.

i was also looking into the seagull models funky cub. i was thinking over powering it by adding 10 pounds of thrust onto a 8 pound cub. how much thrust does a .55 nitro provide?