BAD SPAD (35.5cc home built S.P.A.D.) specs/info/plans.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Old school helis used a belt and pulley system.. So maybe put a pulley on the back side of the motor and use a hand held DC motor to start it.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Not even close mate pull rope has to be wound and has a few rotations to start the motor. The pulley system has the small belt stay with the airframe. All you do is walk up align the belt on the pulley and the bell on the starter motor. add tension and spin. Far greater rpm with the motor as well as unlimited spin til the engine fires on its own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LMeqttoGUM Look at 1:01 min mark and stop the video. You can see laying in the boat is a vbelt and a shaft mounted pulley to start it using standard 12v electric starters. It doesn't show him using it but you can see the setup for the idea.

Addon.. just found this.. actual starting procedure using a vbelt system. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHeh1vj_0i8

Last edited:
Hey thanks! I think I will stay with my system for now. No sense in buying a motor to belt start now, when I should be geting a spinner and use a drill or motor. Thanks again though!

P.S. just putting lights on my bad spad now!

light pic.JPG

video will come up when my internet becomes unlimited at night.

and REALLY bright! i can see the lights on the fuse and the exposed lights on the wing tips in direct sunlight! and almost see the "lantern" wing lights! i'm really happy with them! i am getting about 20 minutes on a tank of gas! at almost full power!

BobK

Banned
Looks really good, sounds like the engine likes that prop a lot better, nice job! :cool:

I brought the vid here, if you use the video icon (second icon in from the right) next to the quotation then people don't have to click on your link and open a new page..we are lazy you know. ;)

BobK

Banned
I don't know it flies pretty nice, that isn't a lb of foamboard you have that little motor yanking around the sky lol. Did you put your vid up on rcgroups yet?

Yes I did. True, but I think the motor still isn't getting full revs. I am amazed at how good it flies! The rudder is really effective at coordinating turns!

BobK

Banned
I was mentioning the turns while watching it with my dad, that is a heck of a pressure ridge out there..must be a river you are flying off?

Yeah maybe the revs are a bit low, still too big of a prop you think?

BobK

Banned
Yeah lol, my dad got a kick out of the plane and the scenery..I think he watched it at least six times. :)