Balsa USA Stingray 120 Kit Build

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Here's the one I had for the Telemaster that I just put on the Stingray. Yep, it sucks too! It spins but is horribly out of balance. I had to use an unbalanced prop and radially balance the whole assembly. It'll work to get it in the air but i think I'm still on the lookout for a better quality motor. I may just be done with HK motors...

bjFxADF.png

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Where did you buy it?

I'm withdrawing the question. LOL!
LOL, sounds like something I'd do ha!

I was told this is Scorpion's "budget" line of motors. Being told in not so many words that if it's not perfect when I get it to send it back and they'll get it taken care of is what does it for me now. I'd be happy buying more HK motors if it wasn't a hassle to return if the item wasn't perfect. BUT, my last order from the USA warehouse took one week before it was even shipped. And if you have an RMA to file, it takes them a month before they exchange or credit your account. To avoid this hassle, the extra $35 or so was so worth it!!!

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Waiting for the new motor to come in. Since I can't balance the plane without it, I did the wheel pants...

They came in pieces.

Nxh9MBs.png

They are to be taped and thin CA'd along the seam.

B5yAoeB.png

Then you have to cut the hole out for the wheel. I drilled a hole then used a drum sander on my dremmel.

4bROPit.png

It's reinforced with a piece of light ply epoxied in place with blind nuts behind it.

6fZl1ac.png

J82cAjs.png

One side done.

hd2854M.png

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Looks like the maiden flight will be tomorrow! It's balanced with 6s 5000mAh with no added weight, front or back!

6qhlcdb.png

New motor is installed. No vibes!

QApJUkA.png

All that's left is to Loktite all the metal screws, set the control throws, install with windscreen and mount the rx!

I'll get a shot of the whole plane in a bit.

Last edited:

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
It came in a 10.5 lbs ready to fly which is about 1.5lbs lighter than I expected.

These pics are without the windscreen, so it looks kinda weird.

O7CkJT6.png

9y5bzTX.png

Bje33zb.png

9CZZH4C.png

1600 WATTS!!!

GOC68zd.png

70A

jGXUQez.png

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Thanks, Freaky, I appreciate that! The maiden went well. It was way out of trim and pretty nose heavy. There's a slight twist in the wing so it kept wanting to bank left. The ESC kept getting way too hot but it's totally enclosed with no ventilation. It does look like I need to prop down a bit. I used an 18x10 so I'll try an 18x6 or a 17x10 next and see if that cools of the ESC a bit. If not, I'll mount the ESC outside probably up against the firewall somehow or on the inside of one of the cowl cheeks.

3DMad5

I Like SBach 342's
What a nice looking plane! I've recently discovered the joys of balsa building, all I can say is that I can only hope to build as well as you some day... Are there plans available for this plane? A scaled down version could work very well for me