Balsa USA Stingray 120 Kit Build

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Yep, it took about 15 minutes to trim it with my Hobby King snap knife, then sand with three grades of sandpaper.

KNUbFf7.png

eywf0xV.png

WR1ltaV.png

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Thanks, it's pretty much ready to cover. I need to mount the motor and drill the holes for hinges in the aileron and tail surfaces.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Pretty close to covering this model. I need to drill hinge holes for the ailerons and tail control surfaces. Then I need to finalize a color scheme. Also I would need to mount the motor and glue the tail onto the fuse once covered.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Here's the trick to perfect hinge holes.

tqBMB7L.png

The aileron hinge holes are drilled. Now It's time to start the covering. Unfortunately I don't have enough of any base color to complete so I ordered a boatload of covering film from both HobbyKing and HobbyPartz. Seriously, I probably won't ever run out lol.

N3FrRpQ.png

I'm thinking gray with transparent orange on the wing and tail to show the ribs. Let the suggestions begin!!!

Last edited:

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
All the film has shipped, even the order from HobbyKing! The first order should be here on the 16th the tracking says. In the mean time, I'm going to get the motor mounted before I glue the tail on. This way I can stand the fuse up on the end to line up the motor.

There was no thrust angle built into the firewall on this kit and the instructions make no mention of any thrust angles. I'm going to mount the motor just slightly to the left so if I need to add some right thrust, the motor won't look crooked.

y1BeHhd.png

JkcRd1Q.png

I just noticed that on my kit build Four Star 120, the engine is square on the end of the fuse and it flies perfect.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Actually, I was able to add another small spacer and the screw was long enough, there'll be enough prop clearance cause there'll be a spinner back plate behind the prop.

zxDk5Ut.jpg

ILkaGaC.jpg

WDTO3nU.jpg

p73bquM.jpg

dJ31Fyu.jpg

earthsciteach

"Here's how I squeezed in the blind nuts."

Seriously? You are going to post that statement on a Saturday night? That pitch is too slow to even attempt a bunt.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Covering has begun!

Right aileron done.

osp7Fzx.png

I attached a strip of covering on the trailing edge so I could go ahead and glue the hinges on.

a2UsQHQ.png

Here's the point hinge glued into the aileron.

45Bxgzp.png

All glued in with Titebond II

KD6EM0P.png

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
"Here's how I squeezed in the blind nuts."

Seriously? You are going to post that statement on a Saturday night? That pitch is too slow to even attempt a bunt.

Last night on David Letterman, he was asked what has he laughed the hardest at. Long story short, it was his mother saying "He went into the basement, set his nuts on an anvil, and then hit them with a hammer."