BATTLEAXE Quick Tips

Vimana89

Legendary member
Been a while since I checked in on this one, have to go back a bit and see what's new, besides all the info I've ever needed to know about shafts:whistle::censored:.:ROFLMAO:. New tip :censored: from me: The most flexible 3ch control option? V tail elevons. If you want to maneuver good in high alpha within the 3ch realm but want something classier and more maneuverable than a RET plane, I'd recommend V tail elevons. They are also great for builds where it is difficult to put ailerons or elevons on the wings. If high alpha isn't a concern and you want more axial rolls, regular elevons are a better idea, but man are V tails versatile!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Been a while since I checked in on this one, have to go back a bit and see what's new, besides all the info I've ever needed to know about shafts:whistle::censored:.:ROFLMAO:. New tip :censored: from me: The most flexible 3ch control option? V tail elevons. If you want to maneuver good in high alpha within the 3ch realm but want something classier and more maneuverable than a RET plane, I'd recommend V tail elevons. They are also great for builds where it is difficult to put ailerons or elevons on the wings. If high alpha isn't a concern and you want more axial rolls, regular elevons are a better idea, but man are V tails versatile!
One tip from me - v tails are not elevons! Set them up as ruddervons. I had mine on my sparrow going backward as elevons and couldn't figure out why it didn't work! :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Vimana89

Legendary member
One tip from me - v tails are not elevons! Set them up as ruddervons. I had mine on my sparrow going backward as elevons and couldn't figure out why it didn't work! :ROFLMAO::LOL:
I use an elevon mix in my IA6 even though I guess technically most people call them "ruddervatros" or some such. The only problem is reversing the channels/servo leads until it has full elevator +rudder/aileron function, but I always get the unit working like it should after a few tweaks.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I use an elevon mix in my IA6 even though I guess technically most people call them "ruddervatros" or some such. The only problem is reversing the channels/servo leads until it has full elevator +rudder/aileron function, but I always get the unit working like it should after a few tweaks.
Wouldn't a Vtail mixer just be easier, plug in to rudder and elevator channels, Bob's your aunts live-in lover...

Vimana89

Legendary member
Wouldn't a Vtail mixer just be easier, plug in to rudder and elevator channels, Bob's your aunts live-in lover...
Nah, extra part and weight. It's actually easy for me just to slap on the elevons mix and reverse channels/switch up the lead to channel 1 and 2 until I get everything flowing in the right direction when I do the right throws. Only takes a minute usually(y)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Nah, extra part and weight. It's actually easy for me just to slap on the elevons mix and reverse channels/switch up the lead to channel 1 and 2 until I get everything flowing in the right direction when I do the right throws. Only takes a minute usually(y)
Weight, that's right you like the Mini's. @Wildthing put me on to the Vtail mixers and I have still yet to get one but it seems easy and I only do the standard size, I don't concern with weight that much when we are talking a few grams. But I can understand where you are coming from

Vimana89

Legendary member
Weight, that's right you like the Mini's. @Wildthing put me on to the Vtail mixers and I have still yet to get one but it seems easy and I only do the standard size, I don't concern with weight that much when we are talking a few grams. But I can understand where you are coming from
I'm not always a stickler for overall weight though. A couple extra grams by the nose in most of my builds is cool, but that type of device is usually a bit further back, and yeah with smaller builds that makes a difference in getting CG. Still, if I found it significantly easier I'd do it, but I don't, as I can spend a minute fiddling around and get the same thing off of elevons mix. Might be annoying with some setups, but the IA6 has proven surprisingly intuitive for me, and I'm crap at anything like that usually. V tail mixers are something I bought to try elevons when I had a Hobbyking TX that had no dual rates/expo, or mixing...never had any success with my skill level back then.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I'm not always a stickler for overall weight though. A couple extra grams by the nose in most of my builds is cool, but that type of device is usually a bit further back, and yeah with smaller builds that makes a difference in getting CG. Still, if I found it significantly easier I'd do it, but I don't, as I can spend a minute fiddling around and get the same thing off of elevons mix. Might be annoying with some setups, but the IA6 has proven surprisingly intuitive for me, and I'm crap at anything like that usually. V tail mixers are something I bought to try elevons when I had a Hobbyking TX that had no dual rates/expo, or mixing...never had any success with my skill level back then.
Some of the TX's are just a pain to do the mixes and this little $5.00 piece does it in a second at a cost of a couple grams and way less grey hair :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Just remember when using "V" tail mixers that on the servos that drive the tail surfaces, 100% + 100% always equals 100%.

In other words reduce the channel output so that the total deflection of the connected channels to add up to 100% or less to avoid some strange handling effects!

Have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
I thought Bob WASN'T my Aunt's live in lover (LMAO 😄😆)...
I've got an old FlySky FS6T Radio that doesn't have Telemetry, Elevon Mixing or any of that...

I've been meaning to look through this thread. Now's as good a time as any! 😉

PoorManRC

Master member
Ironing Edges

I'm only through the FIRST page - but THIS tip was worth the price of admission!!! 😎👋👋👋👋
I only wish I had seen these earlier. As someone who is OCD about esthetics, this is Gold!

Good to put a face to the name too. 😉 Couldn't help noticing that I'm twice your age, with 3 times as much Hair!! 😆😄 LMAO! J/K 👌
(I'd rather be healthy, with less Hair)

Seriously, I'm going to enjoy reading the rest of this.

TooJung2Die

Master member
I'm only through the FIRST page - but THIS tip was worth the price of admission!!!
Totally agree. Maybe this will become a Sticky some day. I've been ironing foam board edges for years and assumed it was common knowledge among foam board builders. I suppose because it's not included in any of the Flite Test build videos. I recently shared this idea among some veteran foam board scratch builders on RCGroups and it was the first many of them heard of it. Shocking.

PoorManRC

Master member
Totally agree. Maybe this will become a Sticky some day. I've been ironing foam board edges for years and assumed it was common knowledge among foam board builders. I suppose because it's not included in any of the Flite Test build videos. I recently shared this idea among some veteran foam board scratch builders on RCGroups and it was the first many of them heard of it. Shocking.
That's pretty good, especially since RCGroups seem to have no love for the FliteTest Guys.
DEFINITELY great tips here.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Has anyone tried painting the FB paper with acrylic paint for detail and then seal it with the clear poly? would it make the dried acrylic paint run? So far only used the colored packing tape to decorate my FTTT but looking to learn for future builds.

There is always scrap foam to experiment on ;) , I would try it both ways but I think if you seal it first you then should be able to use what ever paint you want on it.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I'm only through the FIRST page - but THIS tip was worth the price of admission!!! 😎👋👋👋👋
I only wish I had seen these earlier. As someone who is OCD about esthetics, this is Gold!

Good to put a face to the name too. 😉 Couldn't help noticing that I'm twice your age, with 3 times as much Hair!! 😆😄 LMAO! J/K 👌
(I'd rather be healthy, with less Hair)

Seriously, I'm going to enjoy reading the rest of this.
Twice my age?! I'm turning 45 in the spring there grasshopper. How old do you think you are :ROFLMAO:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Has anyone tried painting the FB paper with acrylic paint for detail and then seal it with the clear poly? would it make the dried acrylic paint run? So far only used the colored packing tape to decorate my FTTT but looking to learn for future builds.
You could put the poly over paint but it will tend to yellow the colors a bit, most noticable on whites. I will use a matte clear coat over the whole thing once the painting is done. Plus poly before paint preps the FB for the paint so you don't have to do six light coats of one color. Poly is used to seal the FB, if you paint first the poly doesn't reach through the paper of the FB to seal it in because the paint is in the way. You could do both before and after but I find the rattle can clear final coat method works best.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Some of the TX's are just a pain to do the mixes and this little $5.00 piece does it in a second at a cost of a couple grams and way less grey hair :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Just a heads up! When doing a wing for someone who does not have a mixing function, or rate setting, on their Tx I just fit a cheap 3 axis stabilizer, (cost just over $10 USD). The cheap stabilizers do the mixing on board for elevons and of course provide a rudimentary and effective stabilization.

Not all are good, sadly, but some are very good value and extremely easy to set up without the risk of trying to over drive the servos and thereby introducing weird handling effects!

Just a simple method to mix successfully for radios that do not have the ability to adjust their rates.

have fun!