Bavarian RC – Messerschmitt 410 Hornisse (Hornet) - design and build

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
I was still not sure about how to make the wing attachment using screws. So I decided to test build the center section of the wing and see how it could work.

Note the small square cavities in the lower skin. I added small plywood squares inside in order to reinforce the section where the screw head will rest on the outside. When tightening the screw it will not compress the material below. The other plywood reinforcements connect directly to the front and aft spar which should lead the forces from the attaching points to the spar.

IMG_3426.JPG IMG_3429.JPG IMG_3444.JPG

Here you can see the 3 nylon screws (M6) and the drive-in nuts which will be glued to the fuselage.

IMG_6229.JPG IMG_6230.JPG IMG_6231.JPG

I had to adjust the plywood parts with the Dremel to make room for the drive-in nuts... really looks like a mess :eek:. Finally the lower plates with the glued on drive-in nuts are attached to the rest of the plywood structure. Quite a bit of effort to make this section strong, but I guess this is necessary as the wing is screwed only to the lower deck which has no supporting structure of the fuselage in the forward part. Hope it will be able to take all the loads coming from the wing… and my landing skills ;)

IMG_3451.JPG IMG_3452.JPG

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
I was still not sure about how to make the wing attachment using screws. So I decided to test build the center section of the wing and see how it could work.

Note the small square cavities in the lower skin. I added small plywood squares inside in order to reinforce the section where the screw head will rest on the outside. When tightening the screw it will not compress the material below. The other plywood reinforcements connect directly to the front and aft spar which should lead the forces from the attaching points to the spar.

View attachment 182778 View attachment 182779 View attachment 182780

Here you can see the 3 nylon screws (M6) and the drive-in nuts which will be glued to the fuselage.

View attachment 182781 View attachment 182782 View attachment 182783

I had to adjust the plywood parts with the Dremel to make room for the drive-in nuts... really looks like a mess :eek:. Finally the lower plates with the glued on drive-in nuts are attached to the rest of the plywood structure. Quite a bit of effort to make this section strong, but I guess this is necessary as the wing is screwed only to the lower deck which has no supporting structure of the fuselage in the forward part. Hope it will be able to take all the loads coming from the wing… and my landing skills ;)

View attachment 182784 View attachment 182785

Beautiful!

Made any progress?

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
I worked on the first nacelle this week... I‘ll post an update latest tomorrow

nice! I wish I could go as fast as you! In my build thread, Im on to my 7th page, and haven't even made any physical part of my plane!

I can't wait to see the finished product, and make one of my own. It's looking just like the real one already.

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
Now that the wing attachment was done I could concentrate on the next challenge: The nacelles.
Side view showing the main elements of the design:

Nacelle.JPG

All parts cut out and the power pod and inner structure of the nacelle done. As the nacelles are protruding so far over the leading edge of the wing I used a plywood former for adding more strength.

IMG_3904.JPG IMG_3917.JPG IMG_3919.JPG

For tracing the skins I used a new method to get a template for the outside of the skin. I put a thin strip of double faced adhesive tape around the formers, cut some strips of foam board (5mm wide) and removed the paper on the inside. Then I wrapped the foam board strips around the formers (sticking to the double faced tape). At the end I put another strip of double faced tape around each foam board strip. In order to trace the skin I could now wrap some poster board around (sticking to the tape). It was working so well that I forgot to take pictures of the process, but I hope my explanation is clear enough.

The traced skin was then scanned, imported in my 2D CAD software and traced with polylines that were then converted to splines.

Skin_traced.JPG

All skins cut out and ready for wrapping around the nacelle frame:

IMG_4003.JPG IMG_4008.JPG IMG_4011.JPG IMG_4016.JPG

Before going on with the skins I made the holes for the BBQ skewers that are holding the power pod and reinforced them with thin 3d printed plates… first on the inside of the nacelles…

IMG_4017.JPG IMG_4018.JPG IMG_4020.JPG IMG_4022.JPG

… and then on the inside of the power pod.

IMG_4024.JPG IMG_4026.JPG

Then I went on with the remaining skins:

IMG_4028.JPG IMG_4030.JPG

Here we are: The finalized nacelle! The skin 1 in front of the firewall will be done later once the motor is installed. I am more than happy with how it turned out. The weight seems OK: 38 grams including the power pod. I could have certainly reduced the weight by making the longitudinal former out of foam board instead of plywood but I think the extra strength is worth the weight.

IMG_4032.JPG IMG_4034.JPG IMG_4036.JPG IMG_4031.JPG

That was a long post. I hope you don’t mind putting so much info into it but I thought it could be good sharing the result of some sleepless nights in more detail.

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
Now that the wing attachment was done I could concentrate on the next challenge: The nacelles.

View attachment 183373

All parts cut out and the power pod and inner structure of the nacelle done. As the nacelles are protruding so far over the leading edge of the wing I used a plywood former for adding more strength.

View attachment 183374 View attachment 183376 View attachment 183375

For tracing the skins I used a new method to get a template for the outside of the skin. I put a thin strip of double faced adhesive tape around the formers, cut some strips of foam board (5mm wide) and removed the paper on the inside. Then I wrapped the foam board strips around the formers (sticking to the double faced tape). At the end I put another strip of double faced tape around each foam board strip. In order to trace the skin I could now wrap some poster board around (sticking to the tape). It was working so well that I forgot to take pictures of the process, but I hope my explanation is clear enough.

The traced skin was then scanned, imported in my 2D CAD software and traced with polylines that were then converted to splines.

View attachment 183377

View attachment 183378 View attachment 183379 View attachment 183380 View attachment 183381

Before going on with the skins I made the holes for the BBQ skewers that are holding the power pod and reinforced them with thin 3d printed plates… first on the inside of the nacelles…

View attachment 183382 View attachment 183383 View attachment 183384 View attachment 183385

View attachment 183386 View attachment 183387

View attachment 183388 View attachment 183389

Here we are: The finalized nacelle! The skin 1 in front of the firewall will be done later once the motor is installed. I am more than happy with how it turned out. The weight seems OK: 38 grams including the power pod. I could have certainly reduced the weight by making the longitudinal former out of foam board instead of plywood but I think the extra strength is worth the weight.

View attachment 183390 View attachment 183391 View attachment 183392 View attachment 183393

That was a long post. I hope you don’t mind putting so much info into it but I thought it could be good sharing the result of some sleepless nights in more detail.

Looking good!

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
nice! I wish I could go as fast as you! In my build thread, Im on to my 7th page, and haven't even made any physical part of my plane!

I can't wait to see the finished product, and make one of my own. It's looking just like the real one already.
Yes it's hard to be patient when you are already seeing it taking shape in 3D.
I usually put quite an amount of time into designing before I start... maybe too much because sometimes reality turns out different than the plan in my head. Then I have to re-design...

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
Yes it's hard to be patient when you are already seeing it taking shape in 3D.
I usually put quite an amount of time into designing before I start... maybe too much because sometimes reality turns out different than the plan in my head. Then I have to re-design...

Maybe I just get the impression of speed because you only show your progress. :D

anyway, it's hard to notice any design flaws if they're on the inside!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

View attachment 183373

View attachment 183374 View attachment 183376 View attachment 183375

View attachment 183377

View attachment 183378 View attachment 183379 View attachment 183380 View attachment 183381

View attachment 183382 View attachment 183383 View attachment 183384 View attachment 183385

View attachment 183386 View attachment 183387

View attachment 183388 View attachment 183389

View attachment 183390 View attachment 183391 View attachment 183392 View attachment 183393

Beautiful work!!

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
Let me wrap up my progress of last week. I finally started building the wing. As you can see it’s a classic fold-over wing. In the outer section I added 2 BBQ skewers on each side to reinforce this area. This is something I use on every wing I build.

IMG_4184.JPG IMG_4183.JPG

The double spar is reinforced by two 4mm plywood spars that have some lightening holes to save a few grams. The other 2 plates are reinforcing the area of the wing attachment. You’ve already seen this at my test wing.

IMG_4185.JPG IMG_4186.JPG IMG_4201.JPG

By gluing the fwd and aft plywood spar to the foam board spars the wing gets the desired 4 degree dihedral on both sides.

IMG_4205.JPG IMG_4206.JPG IMG_4207.JPG IMG_4209.JPG

The fwd and aft reinforcement plate for the wing attachment are in place. You might have noticed that I have added flaps to this design. There were 2 reasons for this. First I always wanted to test flaps ;) and second, I want to reduce the landing speed as much as possible to avoid breaking props. With the nacelles so close to the ground there is a real risk of breaking them.

IMG_4212.JPG IMG_4216.JPG

That's all for this week. More updates latest next weekend...

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
Finally I found the time to bring you guys up to date. Got the servos for the flaps and ailerons installed and the control surfaces connected. Not sure what effect the flaps will have and how much deflection I will need but that’s something to be tested in flight.

IMG_4220.JPG IMG_4222.JPG IMG_4225.JPG IMG_4242.JPG

I couldn’t resist sticking the first nacelle on the wing and putting the fuselage in its place. Starting to look like a plane!

IMG_4217.JPG

I also made the 2 underwing radiators. Even if they have no function and only add weight and drag… they look kind of cool.

IMG_4293.JPG IMG_4294.JPG IMG_4292.JPG

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
Just a small update today. The first nacelle is now glued to the wing.

IMG_4315.JPG IMG_4331.JPG IMG_4334.JPG

I had some problems making the cut-out of the nose cover fit properly to the wing. Finally I was cutting away too much and had to glue things back and try again. But hey it’s a prototype! ;) The gap between the wing an the fuselage will be smaller once I have properly screwed the wing to the fuse.

It is really starting to look like the real one...

IMG_4327.JPG

IMG_4328.JPG

IMG_4329.JPG

Daniel Liutan

View attachment 186139 View attachment 186140 View attachment 186141

I had some problems making the cut-out of the nose cover fit properly to the wing. Finally I was cutting away too much and had to glue things back and try again. But hey it’s a prototype! ;) The gap between the wing an the fuselage will be smaller once I have properly screwed the wing to the fuse.

View attachment 186142
View attachment 186143
View attachment 186144

What a brilliant design!! Must bulid one!
Could you release the plan before Christmas!! Thank you so much!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

View attachment 186139 View attachment 186140 View attachment 186141

View attachment 186142
View attachment 186143
View attachment 186144
@Bavarian_RC beautiful work buddy!

This has happened to me here before. For some reason it looks better as a model than in pictures of the full-size one. Go figure. :unsure: Good build.