1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Messerschmitt_Me-410_Bavarian_RC_Instructions_Beta_V1.0.pdf
    7.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Messerschmitt_Me-410_Bavarian_RC_all_STL_files.zip
    403.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
You may have seen my previous designs, the Bavarian RC Nord Noratlas (Link) and the Heinkel 219 (Link). The Noratlas was a very basic box-type build. For the Heinkel l stepped up a bit the challenge and l was entering into the world of molded surfaces on the huge nacelles of this aircraft.

So for my next design I want to take a further step and start using Master Series type techniques as well for the fuselage. For the wing l will stick to the good old fold-over wing. I’ll keep the design of a Master Series wing for another design. My philosophy is “one challenge at a time”.

As you might know I am a huge fan of twin engine planes, and for sure my new design will again have the power of two motors.

So here we are, my new project: The Messerschmitt Me-410 Hornisse (Hornet).

me410_1.jpg

IMG_7577.jpg Me41007.jpg Messerschmitt-Me-410A1-Hornisse-1-72-scale-Line-drawing-01.jpg

The scale will be approx. 1:14 which results in 1170mm wingspan and an overall length of 890 mm. Like for the Heinkel 219 I will use 2 B-Pack motors. In terms of weight I aim at approx. 1000g (AUW). All in all this should give it about the same performance as my Heinkel 219.

The basic design in CAD is already done but as I am not very professional in 3D designing, I am working with a 2D CAD system. This means that all of the molded surfaces will have to be created using templates that I fit to the plane while building … and then scan and transfer to CAD. Never did this before so let’s see where it takes me.

So far l have been working on the inner structure:

IMG_2888.JPG IMG_2893.JPG IMG_2897.JPG IMG_2906.JPG

I will post regular updates along the process of building and designing.

OliverW

Legendary member
You may have seen my previous designs, the Bavarian RC Nord Noratlas (Link) and the Heinkel 219 (Link). The Noratlas was a very basic box-type build. For the Heinkel l stepped up a bit the challenge and l was entering into the world of molded surfaces on the huge nacelles of this aircraft.

So for my next design I want to take a further step and start using Master Series type techniques as well for the fuselage. For the wing l will stick to the good old fold-over wing. I’ll keep the design of a Master Series wing for another design. My philosophy is “one challenge at a time”.

As you might know I am a huge fan of twin engine planes, and for sure my new design will again have the power of two motors.

So here we are, my new project: The Messerschmitt Me-410 Hornisse (Hornet).

View attachment 180787

View attachment 180788 View attachment 180789 View attachment 180790

The scale will be approx. 1:14 which results in 1170mm wingspan and an overall length of 890 mm. Like for the Heinkel 219 I will use 2 B-Pack motors. In terms of weight I aim at approx. 1000g (AUW). All in all this should give it about the same performance as my Heinkel 219.

The basic design in CAD is already done but as I am not very professional in 3D designing, I am working with a 2D CAD system. This means that all of the molded surfaces will have to be created using templates that I fit to the plane while building … and then scan and transfer to CAD. Never did this before so let’s see where it takes me.

So far l have been working on the inner structure:

View attachment 180791 View attachment 180792 View attachment 180793 View attachment 180794

I will post regular updates along the process of building and designing.
Love it! This may end up using my 2 spare B-packs

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
Never heard of that full size - thanks for making me aware. A great looking plane - sort of a German Mosquito. Interesting. Good luck with the build!
The Me-410 is one of the less known German aircraft of WWII but I really like the unique look it has. Yes a bit like a German Mosquito.
The Me-410 was the successor of the not very successful Me-210 which was intended as a progressive development of the more known Me-110 Zerstörer (Destroyer). The 210 was rushed into production before reaching a mature development status, causing many accidents even with experienced pilots at the controls. Despite many modifications it never met the expectations that were put into it. Only after some large scale re-design, now called the Me-410, the flight characteristics were more satisfying. Nevertheless the 410 was never able to fully replace the Me-110s in service.
I hope my design path will result in something more mature ;)

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
Did my first try to get a template for the fuselage skin. I’ve attached strips of double-sided adhesive tape around the formers and then wrapped the posterboard around. Not really perfect, but it was my first attempt. Once attached to the formers I traced the outline of the formers on the posterboard and also marked the center line of the spine on the upper and lower side.

IMG_2915.JPG Tail_skin.JPG

After scanning the shape I traced the outline in CAD, mirrored it to get the other side and made the first skin from foam board. The radius of the rear section is quite small so l rolled it together, secured it with tape and waited for the next day (to give it some time to adapt to the new shape). Then I glued the skin together at the seam and made a test fit… not perfect (not round enough on the bottom) but OK for the first one.

IMG_2953.JPG IMG_2954.JPG IMG_2955.JPG

Next time I'll have to work a bit more on the molding of the skin to make it more round.

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
The push rod sleeve for the elevator is routed along the spine and the location for the elevator servo is selected.

IMG_2973.JPG IMG_2975.JPG IMG_2970.JPG

After glueing the fuselage skin to the spine I went on with the horizontal stabilizer. For reinforcement I added a BBQ skewer. The both sides of the elevator are connected with a U-shape steel wire with a diameter of 1.2 mm.

IMG_2998.JPG IMG_3005.JPG IMG_3007.JPG

To properly align the horizontal stabilizer on fuselage I did a quick and dirty jig that was bringing the fuselage into a perfectly horizontal position and also holding the stabilizer at a horizontal position. This is resulting in the horizontal stabilizer being at a 0 degree angle towards the underside of the wing.
To hold the jigs in place I simply glued them to the table. I also added 2 pieces of foam board in front of the horizontal stabilizer to ensure a right angle towards the longitudinal axis of the fuselage.
Now that everything was aligned, I just had to add a beat of glue to the cutout in the fuselage and slide the horizontal stabilizer in.

IMG_3084.JPG IMG_3085.JPG IMG_3089.JPG IMG_3092.JPG

Maybe this is an overkill but at least I can be sure that everything is properly aligned.

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
The vertical stabilizer is done. I reinforced it with a BBQ skewer at the leading edge. As I will go for a differential thrust setup, I skipped the rudder.

IMG_3155.JPG IMG_3159_1.JPG IMG_3160.JPG

The push rod connection to the elevator control horn and the servo is also finished.

IMG_3166.JPG IMG_3165.JPG

I have to admit that it isn’t my cleanest build ever, but I am fully aware that this is my first prototype on which I will learn and modify a lot, so I’ll keep the precision work for the version 2 ;)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
The vertical stabilizer is done. I reinforced it with a BBQ skewer at the leading edge. As I will go for a differential thrust setup, I skipped the rudder.

View attachment 181707 View attachment 181708 View attachment 181709

The push rod connection to the elevator control horn and the servo is also finished.

View attachment 181710 View attachment 181711

I have to admit that it isn’t my cleanest build ever, but I am fully aware that this is my first prototype on which I will learn and modify a lot, so I’ll keep the precision work for the version 2 ;)
It's coming along nicely! Keep up the great work. (y)

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
I’ve been doing more work on the fuselage skin. Here you can see the middle section fitted. Everything in front of this section will be part of a slide-on nose cover. This will make the access to the battery quite easy but will definitely make the design of the wing attachment a bit tricky as a large part of the nose cover will be on top of the wing.

IMG_3169.JPG

First test of the nose cover. I’ll make the cutout for the wing at a later stage.

IMG_3177.JPG IMG_3178.JPG

Plywood reinforcement of the lower deck. In this area I will install the wing attachment. I’ll go for a “screw on” solution with nuts installed in the fuselage and nylon screws to hold the wing.

IMG_3182.JPG

The next section of the nose cover is taking shape. The former is temporarily attached with a few drops of hot glue to ease the attaching of the skin template.

IMG_3188.JPG IMG_3185.JPG

Not so bad in terms of result. Funny enough that I just realized how stupid I was with my templates. I always wrapped them directly around the formers thus taking the inside of the skin shape. Afterwards I transferred the shape to CAD and transformed it (more or less sophisticatedly) to fit to the outside. By doing so I always needed like 2 or 3 iterations to make it fit.

It would have been much cleverer to wrap a thin strip of foam board around the former to simulate the thickness of the skin and then put the poster board on top. I’ll try that when I will come to the nacelles.

IMG_3199.JPG IMG_3201.JPG

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
Thanks for asking @Whit Armstrong
I had some busy days with the family. We’ve had a week of school holidays and my kids had many plans for me ;) (as much as possible in the current situation).
Nevertheless I managed to complete the nose cover and canopy.

The formers are in place, ready to make the templates for the canopy skin:

IMG_3320.JPG IMG_3326.JPG

Test fit of the rear part of the canopy… looks good. The forward part of the canopy is ready for molding and glueing:

IMG_3339.JPG IMG_3346.JPG

Finally it took 3 iterations to get the front part of the canopy to fit. Quite happy with how it turned out especially the front with the flat windshield and the rear end of the canopy with its unusual shape. The inclined window was giving the back seater some good visibility to the back and down.

IMG_3348.JPG IMG_3353.JPG IMG_3355.JPG

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
Now THAT'S how to post a build thread. You should give seminars on how to create a build thread.

Loving this project!
Thanks! Great that you like it. The hardest thing is to always remember to take pictures while building. Once you‘re in a flow you tend to forget this :p ... if things don‘t go together as expected it seems to be even worse as you are pushing on to get it done.... therefore no pictures of the nose tip of the nose cover

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
Thanks for asking @Whit Armstrong
I had some busy days with the family. We’ve had a week of school holidays and my kids had many plans for me ;) (as much as possible in the current situation).
Nevertheless I managed to complete the nose cover and canopy.

The formers are in place, ready to make the templates for the canopy skin:

View attachment 182697 View attachment 182698

Test fit of the rear part of the canopy… looks good. The forward part of the canopy is ready for molding and glueing:

View attachment 182699 View attachment 182700

Finally it took 3 iterations to get the front part of the canopy to fit. Quite happy with how it turned out especially the front with the flat windshield and the rear end of the canopy with its unusual shape. The inclined window was giving the back seater some good visibility to the back and down.

View attachment 182702 View attachment 182703 View attachment 182704
Nice job!

I can't wait to see more great work.