Bavarian RC – Messerschmitt 410 Hornisse (Hornet) - design and build

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
What a brilliant design!! Must bulid one!
Could you release the plan before Christmas!! Thank you so much!
Thanks buddy! I am sure the plans will be ready for Christmas... the question is which year :p
Seriously that will be too challenging, the design is not fully finalized and I have already identified a lot of detailed improvements to be done. My target is to have a maiden flight before year end ... let‘s see

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
This has happened to me here before. For some reason it looks better as a model than in pictures of the full-size one. Go figure. :unsure: Good build.
Actually it was kind of similar for me. There was always something about the Me-410 that looked a bit strange... at least on some of the WWII pictures. I haven‘t had the same effect on the model :sneaky:

Actually it was kind of similar for me. There was always something about the Me-410 that looked a bit strange... at least on some of the WWII pictures. I haven‘t had the same effect on the model :sneaky:
Your model looks amazing. Professional. And with the wing geometry spread out the way it is and the motor nacelles in such prominent position, it makes a kind-of homely plane look really awesome. ;)

mastermalpass

Elite member
This is looking awesome. I didn't know the Me410 was called the Hornet - makes the DeHavilland one look like they ripped off the name. lol

1608224120313.png

I've been wondering about finishing off folded wings. You have a large section of undercamber between the aileron servos and wing tips - of course, two pieces of foam there would make the wing tips much thicker than they are on the real thing. But I've wondered is it not feasible to stick some posterboard under the camber to continue the flat-bottom out to the wing tips?

I was still not sure about how to make the wing attachment using screws. So I decided to test build the center section of the wing and see how it could work.

Note the small square cavities in the lower skin. I added small plywood squares inside in order to reinforce the section where the screw head will rest on the outside. When tightening the screw it will not compress the material below. The other plywood reinforcements connect directly to the front and aft spar which should lead the forces from the attaching points to the spar.

View attachment 182778 View attachment 182779 View attachment 182780

Here you can see the 3 nylon screws (M6) and the drive-in nuts which will be glued to the fuselage.

View attachment 182781 View attachment 182782 View attachment 182783

I had to adjust the plywood parts with the Dremel to make room for the drive-in nuts... really looks like a mess :eek:. Finally the lower plates with the glued on drive-in nuts are attached to the rest of the plywood structure. Quite a bit of effort to make this section strong, but I guess this is necessary as the wing is screwed only to the lower deck which has no supporting structure of the fuselage in the forward part. Hope it will be able to take all the loads coming from the wing… and my landing skills ;)

View attachment 182784 View attachment 182785
That looks like a really thick wing. Do you know the thickness (percentage of chord)?

This is looking awesome. I didn't know the Me410 was called the Hornet - makes the DeHavilland one look like they ripped off the name. lol

View attachment 186485

I've been wondering about finishing off folded wings. You have a large section of undercamber between the aileron servos and wing tips - of course, two pieces of foam there would make the wing tips much thicker than they are on the real thing. But I've wondered is it not feasible to stick some posterboard under the camber to continue the flat-bottom out to the wing tips?
Boy somebody ripped off somebody!

leaded50

Legendary member
That looks like a really thick wing. Do you know the thickness (percentage of chord)?
when controlling original drawings wing of the GB Hornet, that was said having a better laminarflow thinner wing, than the Mosquito, in scale, with a wingspan of 1300mm.....the wing having a thickness of close to 50mm......
- so the wing made here of the German version, dont seems to thick.

when controlling original drawings wing of the GB Hornet, that was said having a better laminarflow thinner wing, than the Mosquito, in scale, with a wingspan of 1300mm.....the wing having a thickness of close to 50mm......
- so the wing made here of the German version, dont seems to thick.
By the looks of it it's at LEAST 16% thickness.

I've been building my wings thicker and I'm curious what effect it'll have on this plane. On my planes I don't care about high speed (yet?). I know it induces more drag. I wonder at what point the thickness hurts flight characteristics. I've read that 16% is the upper end, but then somebody always comes in and says they build their wings thicker.

Scale doesn't matter in the slightest. Wing thickness doesn't scale with your plane size! Many say that these small planes do just as well with a flat wing or that double-thickness flat airfoil, whatever it's called. I like a true airfoil. So back to my wing thickness questions.

Bavarian_RC

Elite member

View attachment 186485

I am not an aerodynamics freak but I heard that the undercambered wing is less critical for stalls. Never tried with poster board, but I think even with foam board it would be feasible to close the gap.

mastermalpass

Elite member
I am not an aerodynamics freak but I heard that the undercambered wing is less critical for stalls. Never tried with poster board, but I think even with foam board it would be feasible to close the gap.

Undercambered wing tips do help the plane resist stalls and tip stalls... It's just less scale. lol

But I am a bit overly ambitious with the designs I want to make, when I've yet to make anything scale A Master Series Spitfire is going to be my first attempt and I've yet to find out how much harder it is to fly.

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
Undercambered wing tips do help the plane resist stalls and tip stalls... It's just less scale. lol

But I am a bit overly ambitious with the designs I want to make, when I've yet to make anything scale A Master Series Spitfire is going to be my first attempt and I've yet to find out how much harder it is to fly.
For my next design I also want to try a Master Series style wing. But before I‘ll try one of the Flite test MS designs to see how they handle.

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
My little jig to ensure that the center line of the nacelles is parallel to the center line of the wing. The big metal ruler is the wing center line. Then I measured towards the nacelle center line and made sure I had an even spacing in the front and back.

IMG_4398.JPG

The second nacelle is now also attached to the wing.

IMG_4404.JPG IMG_4399.JPG
IMG_4401.JPG

Next I need to make the upper nacelle skin over the wing. The formers are already in place.
The poster board for making the skin template has a zig zag line to let me see the edge of the formers behind the poster board. As usual I marked the edges of the formers and the center line of the nacelle. At the lower edge of the template (towards the wing) I just taped several straight pieces of poster board to get the shape of the wing. Finally scanned and transferred it to CAD … this process is getting more and more mature now.

IMG_4888.JPG IMG_4889.JPG Nacelle_Top_Skin_4_LH.jpg Nacelle_Top_Skin_4_LH_CAD.JPG

My little jig to ensure that the center line of the nacelles is parallel to the center line of the wing. The big metal ruler is the wing center line. Then I measured towards the nacelle center line and made sure I had an even spacing in the front and back.

View attachment 186714

The second nacelle is now also attached to the wing.

View attachment 186715 View attachment 186716
View attachment 186717

Next I need to make the upper nacelle skin over the wing. The formers are already in place.
The poster board for making the skin template has a zig zag line to let me see the edge of the formers behind the poster board. As usual I marked the edges of the formers and the center line of the nacelle. At the lower edge of the template (towards the wing) I just taped several straight pieces of poster board to get the shape of the wing. Finally scanned and transferred it to CAD … this process is getting more and more mature now.

View attachment 186718 View attachment 186720 View attachment 186721 View attachment 186722
Impressed. (y)

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
The motors are mounted on the power pods and all the wiring is hooked up. As the majority of the wiring is in the wing, I will also install the receiver in the wing (inside the rectangular cavity in the center).

IMG_5496.JPG IMG_5501.JPG
IMG_5520.JPG

This little piece is the engine air intake. I fear it will mainly serve as a bumper for hard landings :eek:
Also got the upper nacelle skins (on top of the wing) finalized.

IMG_5530.JPG IMG_5533.JPG
IMG_5541.JPG

IMG_5539.JPG

IMG_5538.JPG

The ring around the motor is just a temporary former to ensure that the skin no. 1 will have a perfectly round shape. I removed it after the skin was in place.

IMG_5827.JPG IMG_5828.JPG IMG_5829.JPG IMG_5832.JPG

I am quite happy with the nacelles, they came out quite nice. Next step will be to design spinners that match the shape of the nacelles.

IMG_5839.JPG

IMG_5840.JPG

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The motors are mounted on the power pods and all the wiring is hooked up. As the majority of the wiring is in the wing, I will also install the receiver in the wing (inside the rectangular cavity in the center).

View attachment 187117 View attachment 187118
View attachment 187119

This little piece is the engine air intake. I fear it will mainly serve as a bumper for hard landings :eek:
Also got the upper nacelle skins (on top of the wing) finalized.

View attachment 187120 View attachment 187121 View attachment 187122
View attachment 187124
View attachment 187125

The ring around the motor is just a temporary former to ensure that the skin no. 1 will have a perfectly round shape. I removed it after the skin was in place.

View attachment 187126 View attachment 187127 View attachment 187129 View attachment 187130

I am quite happy with the nacelles, they came out quite nice. Next step will be to design spinners that match the shape of the nacelles.

View attachment 187131
View attachment 187132
BEAUTIFUL as per usual. Great work man