XF-18 Super Hornet - Twin 70mm EDF Jet - Build Pics & Plans

Goose 51

So, I am building Ben's Jolly Roger F-18 but I was wondering if it is possible to be able to have the back section that the front of the rudders sits on be removeable. I would feel a lot better if I could access the engines at anytime in case I need to fix something. I thought about using screws but I don't know how well they will work with the foam and magnets might mess with the engines. I need to have something secure so it doesn't get sucked into the engine. If anyone has any ideas, please tell me!

Matthew Knotts

Ok so update on the landing gear version I've been working on for practically forever, from building and rebuilding. Ive built two of the hand launch version and I wanted to build the retracts version so here it is.

This was the first one it, probably the greatest thing I've ever made lol. It has Powerfun 6s 70mm edfs, flitetest 80 amp esc's, 6s 5000mah lipo, 15amp ubec powered by a small 3 cell, led strips in the ducts, and the Freewing F/A-18C retracts. It also has a 3d printed nose and canopy from jetworks.

Total weight was right at 7 pounds which was very surprising.

IMG_3306.jpg

IMG_3307.jpg

IMG_3309.jpg

Here is a picture of it without the 3d printed nose and canopy
41B7F1A8-507B-499F-805A-58DA58FBA207-1.jpeg

I designed all of the decals in google docs lol, but they surprisingly came out pretty good. l used clear and matte white sticker paper and simply printed them out and stuck them on there.

If your interested, here is the google slides with everything on them. They aren't completely accurate they're just what I wanted on there.
VFA-103 75th Anniversary Decals

So unfortunately on the maiden it climbed about 10 feet then nosed almost strait down, even with footage of it I could never figure out why it nosed down, edfs were fine and cg was spot on based on previous ones id built without retracts so idk. The wing and everything behind the intakes was salvageable. I rebuilt it in a couple days and when was going to put the retracts up to put it in the car to go fly it, none of them worked. I had probably tested them 20 times before them maiden and 20 times after it crashed so I have no idea what happened to them. I tried pretty much everything, new wires, different ubec battery, different receiver and tx, but they were just dead. I don't understand how they could have all died at the same time, but oh well.

So now the rebuilt one is finished and I'll have to get around to ordering new motors for the retracts. Also I fixed the slight droop in the nose of the first one bc that annoyed me.

Thanks @Mid7night for the great deigns I have really enjoyed making these!

It might be a little bit bc ill be going back to school, but I will update later. :)
IMG_3556.jpeg

Attachments

• 41B7F1A8-507B-499F-805A-58DA58FBA207-1.jpeg
    41B7F1A8-507B-499F-805A-58DA58FBA207-1.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 0

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
WOW!! That looks amazing!! Well done!

Sorry to hear about the maiden, unfortunately I had a similar experience. But mine was a radio failure at distance, Here's hoping your next flight is smoother! Can't wait to see video!

Pat28

WOW!! That looks amazing!! Well done!

Sorry to hear about the maiden, unfortunately I had a similar experience. But mine was a radio failure at distance, Here's hoping your next flight is smoother! Can't wait to see video!
Could you tile the plans plz I would like to build this jet but I don’t have a large format printer

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
Yes I don’t have a computer and it doesn’t work on my phone

That could be a problem. The CAD software requires a pretty beefy computer to run........

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

EDIT: Wait, you just want the plans? You can go to any Wal*Mart or Post Office & get the plans printed out.

(y)

Pat28

That could be a problem. The CAD software requires a pretty beefy computer to run........

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

EDIT: Wait, you just want the plans? You can go to any Wal*Mart or Post Office & get the plans printed out.

(y)
Yeah but that cost a lot in Canada and I don’t know how big to have them printed

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
Yeah but that cost a lot in Canada and I don’t know how big to have them printed

1/6th scale seems to be the preferred size ATM........So you'll need a YUGE engine & a 2200 3part battery.
Ok so update on the landing gear version I've been working on for practically forever, from building and rebuilding. Ive built two of the hand launch version and I wanted to build the retracts version so here it is.

This was the first one it, probably the greatest thing I've ever made lol. It has Powerfun 6s 70mm edfs, flitetest 80 amp esc's, 6s 5000mah lipo, 15amp ubec powered by a small 3 cell, led strips in the ducts, and the Freewing F/A-18C retracts. It also has a 3d printed nose and canopy from jetworks.

Total weight was right at 7 pounds which was very surprising.

View attachment 229384
View attachment 229383
View attachment 229385

Here is a picture of it without the 3d printed nose and canopy
View attachment 229386
I designed all of the decals in google docs lol, but they surprisingly came out pretty good. l used clear and matte white sticker paper and simply printed them out and stuck them on there.

If your interested, here is the google slides with everything on them. They aren't completely accurate they're just what I wanted on there.
VFA-103 75th Anniversary Decals

So unfortunately on the maiden it climbed about 10 feet then nosed almost strait down, even with footage of it I could never figure out why it nosed down, edfs were fine and cg was spot on based on previous ones id built without retracts so idk. The wing and everything behind the intakes was salvageable. I rebuilt it in a couple days and when was going to put the retracts up to put it in the car to go fly it, none of them worked. I had probably tested them 20 times before them maiden and 20 times after it crashed so I have no idea what happened to them. I tried pretty much everything, new wires, different ubec battery, different receiver and tx, but they were just dead. I don't understand how they could have all died at the same time, but oh well.

So now the rebuilt one is finished and I'll have to get around to ordering new motors for the retracts. Also I fixed the slight droop in the nose of the first one bc that annoyed me.

Thanks @Mid7night for the great deigns I have really enjoyed making these!

It might be a little bit bc ill be going back to school, but I will update later. :)
View attachment 229388

Yer skins are premo, my friend! Extremely well done!
......And I'm a skinner from WAY BACK........lol.

:cool:

Goose 51

What scale is this plane? I want to put the Top Gun decals from Callie Graphics on my plane. Anybody know? Otherwise, how do you make decals on google docs to fit the plane?

Goose 51

For anyone who made Ben's plane, do you prefer 'bank and yank' or would you recommend adding rudder control?

Goose 51

I am building Ben's original F18 from the first page that didn't crash. would you guys recommend it with ailerons and elevators, or elevons, and which one would fly smoother? I don't really want to take any chances because I have been working on this for a while and this is my first big project.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I am building Ben's original F18 from the first page that didn't crash. would you guys recommend it with ailerons and elevators, or elevons, and which one would fly smoother? I don't really want to take any chances because I have been working on this for a while and this is my first big project.

Depends on how you evaluate “smoother”…. On one hand I might say elevons would fly “smoother”, because they are smaller and would be “fighting” the wing without any controls on it, and thus control might be less “jerky”.

On the other hand I could argue that separate ailerons might be “smoother” because ailerons would have dedicated roll-authority and elevators would have dedicated pitch-authority, making control in both axes more responsive and sharp.

My favorite setup is all-moving-stabilators set up as elevon controls. Only two servos and more than enough control authority. But some prefer separate ailerons.

One benefit of doing separate ailerons is that you can easily mix in flaperon functions, so long as you put each aileron on independent channels.

So many choices! 🤣