BJ-J3 Cub - NOT a Failure Story - Plans and Build Instructions

degriz

Maiden successful! some down trim, cut back on the throttle and she flies Great! no bad tendencies, stalls level and floats around beautifully.

I only flew for about 8 minutes as my fingers were losing feeling since it was 18 degrees this morning. I can't wait for warm weather, this is going to be one of my go to sunny lazy day fliers.

I am also thinking of building this out of coroplast, waiting on an order to arrive.

ClearSkiesCalmWinds

Coroplast, I was thinking of doing the same thing. It would be my first (Coroplast) build. Let us know how it goes. Love to see a Coroplast version build log.

BanditJacksRC

right on man that's awesome! That would be way cool to see. I have always been interested in building with coroplast but don't have any experience with it yet.

degriz

No experience with it either, but thought I would give it a try. I imagine it can't be all that hard, I have built with balsa & foam board, why not coroplast.

The cub is a straight forward build and should be a good first project, or the tiny trainer. See what strikes me when the supplies arrive.

gabrielete

Here it is mine, will it fly? IMG_20150501_092820.jpg

chetw77cruiser

You have come up with a great plane for the intermediate builder/flier. The construction methods are easy to understand and complete. The flight characteristics are docile and easy to correct, at least with the blue wonder power package. I consider this to be a good trainer to start out on. Some will say that a trainer should be a three channel, but I say the best way to learn is to jump in with both feet.

I have found that the best trait of this plane, as well as any trainer, is a durable, crash resistant design. I can tell you that I have put this trait to test using this plane. The best hit so far was trying to fly through a tree. I just knew it would fit, but the tree had other thoughts. With that, the hit was hard enough that the rubber bands holding the wing on broke and the power pod exit the fuselage like a crash test dummy without a seat belt. The only thing that kept the pod in was the aileron servo lead. The skewer shifted enough from the hit that it broke free of one side of the fuselage, allowing the power pod to travel forward. The only damage that I found was the leading edge of the wing had a slight ripple, about an inch wide, and a aileron servo came loose from the underside of the wing. With some glue for the servo and some rubber bands, the plane was back in the air within a couple minutes.

Needless to say, I have built another for myself and will be build some for my friends and family.

Kudos for such a great design.

Last edited:

BanditJacksRC

You have come up with a great plane for the intermediate builder/flier. The construction methods are easy to understand and complete. The flight characteristics are docile and easy to correct, at least with the blue wonder power package. I consider this to be a good trainer to start out on. Some will say that a trainer should be a three channel, but I say the best way to learn is to jump in with both feet.

I have found that the best trait of this plane, as well as any trainer, is a durable, crash resistant design. I can tell you that I have put this trait to test using this plane. The best hit so far was trying to fly through a tree. I just knew it would fit, but the tree had other thoughts. With that, the hit was hard enough that the rubber bands holding the wing on broke and the power pod exit the fuselage like a crash test dummy without a seat belt. The only thing that kept the pod in was the aileron servo lead. The skewer shifted enough from the hit that it broke free of one side of the fuselage, allowing the power pod to travel forward. The only damage that I found was the leading edge of the wing had a slight ripple, about an inch wide, and a aileron servo came loose from the underside of the wing. With some glue for the servo and some rubber bands, the plane was back in the air within a couple minutes.

Needless to say, I have built another for myself and will be build some for my friends and family.

Kudos for such a great design.

Wow thanks! Welcome to the forums!

Yeah it really is amazing how well this DTFB can hold up sometimes! I have had some really bad crashes before and a little hot glue here or there, and you're good to go!

Thanks again and lets see some pics!!!

tazbox

Hi Bandit, thank you for the plans, they look very good. I'm an enthusiastic beginner and this is my first scratch build.

What throws and settings do you recommend for the control surfaces ? I want to use the airplane as a trainer. I'll post some pictures before maiden and hope it will survive the first flight.

Taz

Bacon8tor

Hey all just wanted to share the Bandits Piper I just finished. I plan to print decals and then fully tape the plane up, but the plans are easy to follow and directions got me thru this was my first non flite test build and defiantely went smooth. heres a pic,
IMG_20150519_183504[1].jpg IMG_20150519_183509[1].jpg

degriz

Just a note about motor and battery for anyone interested.

I swapped out the larger motor for a blue wonder and 800 mah battery. I found it balanced out easy and actually flew great.

I was able to slow it down a lot more, not as aerobatic, but for a beginner a lot easier to fly I think.

Bacon8tor

also I made a decal set for this, I dont have the necessary materials to paint it OD green or Blue , but I found this new mexico national guard L-4 Grasshopper, piper-l-4-grasshopper-n5580-new-mexico-air-national-guard.jpg
all the decals fit onto 8.5 x 11 paper so makes it easy to print.
DecalSheet1
DecalSheet2
DecalSheet3
DecalSheet4

If anyone likes this and would like me to whip up some decals, I would be happy to , just pm me, all i use are vector graphics so you wont loose any resolution, you could send the artwork to a sticker company , many things you can do.

BanditJacksRC

Just a note about motor and battery for anyone interested.

I swapped out the larger motor for a blue wonder and 800 mah battery. I found it balanced out easy and actually flew great.

I was able to slow it down a lot more, not as aerobatic, but for a beginner a lot easier to fly I think.

right on thats awesome.

I have been playing around with MRs latley and now have a few extra Emax 1806s - i was thinking about building the cub as a twin with 'em just for fun.

Although I have yet to buildany mini's and the miniguinea looks pretty fun....
ahh decisions

Bacon8tor

I forgot to post pictures of this yesterday I swear I posted them. Well here they are I think they look pretty good. IMG_20150520_143422[1].jpg IMG_20150520_143415[1].jpg IMG_20150520_143409[1].jpg

Bacon8tor

right on thats awesome.

I have been playing around with MRs latley and now have a few extra Emax 1806s - i was thinking about building the cub as a twin with 'em just for fun.

Although I have yet to buildany mini's and the miniguinea looks pretty fun....
ahh decisions
I built a mini scout , dont have electronics for it. I am hopefully going to be able to maiden a plane this weekend. I may even start with the Piper!!