Bloody Baron - Build

Jam-ehz

Flying Canuckian
My first real flight with the Bloody Baron.

Once trimmed it flies great! It's an awesome plane!

Last edited:

silbo99

I am going To build the Bloody Baron within a few weeks (with LEDs), and I want to get a motor that I can use on the Guinea Pig later on. Is the 26-30 1200kv a good choice? Or should I go with something different? Also, do you guys recommend 1200kv or 1100kv? And with what prop? Sorry for asking so many questions
Thanks in advance,
Silvester

silbo99

Thanks for the help! I'll just get the 1100kv then. I love your design by the way! It is really great to be able to post questions on this forum, and then get answers from people that actually designed the stuff you are asking about ;)

I am going to fly the Baron on 3S, it will probably still be a ROCKET SHIP.
I will post pictures with (also with the red LED lights) of the build when it is finished. Thanks again!

Pig007

I haven't posted on here but I figured I should share my Bloody Baron story. I've only been flying since May but I have built a few different FT designs with much success. I saw the Baby Baron and figured I would give it a try because it looked like a quick easy build plus it will get me ready for Bloody Baron release. All went well and I enjoyed that mini a lot. Fast Forward two weeks and I built my first Bloody Baron and I was proud of it. I liked the look of the plane and really wanted a solid combat plane for me and my brother in law to smash into each other. Took it out and first 5 throws dead sticked after 10 feet. A little troubleshooting found a bad receiver antenna. Replaced the receiver and and it flew great. Went through 4 batteries and had a ton of fun. The following day I was doing some real low fast passes and it went behind a truck for a moment, when I gave it up elevator and didnt see the plane I knew it was bad. You will see in the picture below it broke in half. My initial reaction was disappointment but about 2 seconds later I laughed. I had a blast flying it and in about an hour I will have a new fuselage built.

In the end if I can laugh at a crash like that then I know I am doing it right

image2.JPG image1.JPG

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Wow! I've never seen this fuse break before. Must have been some impact! I can't tell from the picture you posted, does the fuselage have the doublers installed? If it does I'm amazed that it broke like that.

Great story, and thanks so much for sharing it. I'm really enjoying hearing about everyone else's experiences with my design. The attitude you had 2 seconds after your plane crashed is one that will help keep you in the hobby for a long time. That's what's so great about Flite Test and these foam board planes, you can build a new airframe for a couple bucks and keep on flying.

Pig007

I did have the doublets in place. Even though I didn't actually see the crash my best guess is that it tumbled and used the the wing as a sheer point. Not your normal crash scenario. My brother in law did a successful auger straight down from about 30 feet and all it broke was a prop. Very solid design and can't thank you and FliteTest enough for the time and effort put into these.

WilberMaker

Sorry for the repeat but I am looking for the CG measurement on the Bloody Baron. Seem to remember it noted that the CG on the plans were incorrect. Can't seem to find the post now. What is the correct measurement?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Sorry for the repeat but I am looking for the CG measurement on the Bloody Baron. Seem to remember it noted that the CG on the plans were incorrect. Can't seem to find the post now. What is the correct measurement?

It's fixed on the v1.0 plans. Along with some other minor cosmetic changes to match the Flite Test release. I highly recommend you get the v1.0 plans. The CG location is 2 5/16" from the leading edge. I think Flite Test listed it as 2 1/2" so that would be a good range to be within to start with. I like to keep mine a little nose heavy for combat.

GregC540i

I love my Bloody Baron!

first off: thanks to Sponz and your son for an awesome build and plane. Thanks for sharing it!

Second: Flite Test are awesome! They shipped out my Baron last Friday and I got it Wednesday! It took me a few nights to put it together. It was easy with the speed build kit!

I maiden her this morning and she flew nice. It was a bit windy when I maiden her, but she handled it very nice. The plane can be twitchy for even on low rates. I usually have my expo at 30% but I had to reduce the AIL servo rate from about 50 to 40%. It still turns on a dime! My elevator rate is at 75. The plane did not require much trimming! The CG at 2 5/16" is tough to achieve. I had to keep the power pod a little forward by about 1".

My set up is: 3s 1300mah 40C zippy compact battery as far forward inside the power pod as much as possible. 30a esc. The motor is a NTM 2836-1400kv with a 7x6 prop. She's fast enough right now. I think I'm pulling 21-22a at 250+ watts.

Keep in mind my bloody Baron is 500g without battery. The reason why it's so heavy is I covered the plane in extreme packing tape. My plan is to fly it but also combat with it. So, I had to build it even stronger. I may have gone overkill with the extreme packing tape but I don't think it will ever tear or break!

If you are on the fence about this plane, get off it and buy one, or two for that matter!

Thanks everyone for a super cool plane!

Greg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14

High Five

Wow! I've never seen this fuse break before. Must have been some impact! I can't tell from the picture you posted, does the fuselage have the doublers installed? If it does I'm amazed that it broke like that.

Great story, and thanks so much for sharing it. I'm really enjoying hearing about everyone else's experiences with my design. The attitude you had 2 seconds after your plane crashed is one that will help keep you in the hobby for a long time. That's what's so great about Flite Test and these foam board planes, you can build a new airframe for a couple bucks and keep on flying.

Breaking the fuselage can happen, for example if you do a mid-air collision while flying combat. :-D
midair.jpg
(Yes, that is the power pod that "ejected itself".)

skador krasch 1.jpg
The plane was repaired.

Then it had another mid-air accident a few days later.
skador crash 2.jpg
But has again been repaired again since it was still less than 20% glue to weight ratio. :-D

It's propably worth noting that this plane is made from foamboard without paper covering.

Repairing is just another challenge. In this case it was a friends challenge.

Yawnsky24

Bloody Baron Fleet and slight Mod

Firstly, thanks to SPONZ and all of the great people at FliteTest and the members! What a great resource for all.

After building and flying the Blood Baron I showed the guys I fly with what a great flying plane this is. Being the designated DTFB builder for our flying group (and having scratch built many FliteTest designs), I signed up for creating a Bloody Baron Combat fleet. In making this a combat plane, I wanted to get away from putting the battery in the power pod to make changes quicker and easier. That said, I also did not want to belly land directly on the lipo batteries for safety and longevity's sake. Since the design had the doublers already, I just extended the doublers below the bottom of the fuse to provide a place for the battery to mount. Just a strip of Velcro and a bamboo skewer for extra security and it works great. No noticeable (at least to me) change in flight characteristics and after about 20 flights, no battery damage.

The pics show the doubler.

20150902_091407_resized.jpg 20150902_091433_resized.jpg 20150902_091452_resized.jpg

BTW, the Pink one is setup for night flying with LED's in the wing and on the tail.

Thanks again, hope this is beneficial to someone.

Jan

RAGII

Yawnsky24

I did a similar mod, but extended both the doubler and the fuse. This way it would not be easily broken in a mid air or hard landing.

I also "blended" it is to the existing curve.

LooseBruce

Firstly, thanks to SPONZ and all of the great people at FliteTest and the members! What a great resource for all.

After building and flying the Blood Baron I showed the guys I fly with what a great flying plane this is. Being the designated DTFB builder for our flying group (and having scratch built many FliteTest designs), I signed up for creating a Bloody Baron Combat fleet. In making this a combat plane, I wanted to get away from putting the battery in the power pod to make changes quicker and easier. That said, I also did not want to belly land directly on the lipo batteries for safety and longevity's sake. Since the design had the doublers already, I just extended the doublers below the bottom of the fuse to provide a place for the battery to mount. Just a strip of Velcro and a bamboo skewer for extra security and it works great. No noticeable (at least to me) change in flight characteristics and after about 20 flights, no battery damage.

The pics show the doubler.

View attachment 53577 View attachment 53578 View attachment 53579

BTW, the Pink one is setup for night flying with LED's in the wing and on the tail.

Thanks again, hope this is beneficial to someone.

Jan

Very Nice. I like this! I always mount my battery on the bottom and I think this is a great improvement.
Thanks, LooseBruce

Yawnsky24

WilberMaker I am not sure. Of all the things I have tried with it so far, I have not even tried to knife edge. Mostly yank and bank combat and some 2 1/2D as I can't consider myself proficient at 3D. I will give it a try this weekend along with some of my fellow combatants.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Just added up a full color set of Decal Plans for the Bloody Baron. SPONZ wanted something a little bit Air Pirate so we've been working on this for the last week or so.

You can go to this thread here to download the pdf's and learn how to use the Decal Plan design.

Since this plane is for combat, everyone is gonna want a different color. I've drawn them up in Black, Blue, Red, Yellow, Green, Orange, Pink & Purple.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Just added up a full color set of Decal Plans for the Bloody Baron. SPONZ wanted something a little bit Air Pirate so we've been working on this for the last week or so.

You can go to this thread here to download the pdf's and learn how to use the Decal Plan design.

Since this plane is for combat, everyone is gonna want a different color. I've drawn them up in Black, Blue, Red, Yellow, Green, Orange, Pink & Purple.

It was great collaborating with you on this design. I can't thank you enough for creating this decal set for the Baron. I love it!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Updated the first post. I am finally going to start the build log for the "official" version of the Baron. I will probably include covering it with the new "Black Pirate" skin by localfiend! Eventually, I will also write an article for the Baron to wrap up this project.