Bloody Wonder MkIII - Build

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
do you thin this would enlarge well for something along the lines of a power pack b motor with a 9x4.5 prop on 3s?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
do you thin this would enlarge well for something along the lines of a power pack b motor with a 9x4.5 prop on 3s?

It will fly fine as-is off a B pack motor. That is about the equivalent of the Basic setup from the first post.

donalson

so... I've ordered the 3 pack swappable kit... from there I'd like to do a scratch build... from my flying on RC pilot sim I've enjoyed the bloody wonder... would this be a good first scratch build AND good flyer for someone who is comfortable flying the 3 pack (and the BW and rudder wonder on the sim? :) from plans it looks like a fairly simple build... but having not yet done one I suppose looks could be deceiving.

tamuct01

The Bloody Wonder is a great little plane, but I would classify it as an intermediate flyer. It's small, bank and yank only (no rudder), and no dihedral. This means that generally it goes where you point it, and isn't particularly forgiving. On the flip side, it's a blast to rip through the skies like you stole it with just about any battery/motor combo you can cram into the little frame. I have built a Mk. 2 and Mk. 3. The Mk. 3 is a blast. I run the power pack C motor on a 9x6 prop with 2200 mAh battery. It's a great little plane, and easy to build as well.

donalson

The Bloody Wonder is a great little plane, but I would classify it as an intermediate flyer. It's small, bank and yank only (no rudder), and no dihedral. This means that generally it goes where you point it, and isn't particularly forgiving. On the flip side, it's a blast to rip through the skies like you stole it with just about any battery/motor combo you can cram into the little frame. I have built a Mk. 2 and Mk. 3. The Mk. 3 is a blast. I run the power pack C motor on a 9x6 prop with 2200 mAh battery. It's a great little plane, and easy to build as well.

so far I'm comfortable with the versa and some other bank-n-yank types on the sim (and inverted and knife edging on a few sim plans including the baby blender; how real world does that relate I don't know ;-)... but so far in the sim world it feels much more natural compared to flying quads (both sim and real ones)... maybe too many years of flying games as a kid? lol.

but I'll have flown and be comfortable with the nutball, flyer, and delta (slow bank n yank) before I'd goto this... and i'll start out with a B pack 2 cell (have a stash of them, and of 3 cells)... such a simple scratch build is a bit part of the allure... but being a bit more maneuverable is another part... thoughts?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
so far I'm comfortable with the versa and some other bank-n-yank types on the sim (and inverted and knife edging on a few sim plans including the baby blender; how real world does that relate I don't know ;-)... but so far in the sim world it feels much more natural compared to flying quads (both sim and real ones)... maybe too many years of flying games as a kid? lol.

but I'll have flown and be comfortable with the nutball, flyer, and delta (slow bank n yank) before I'd goto this... and i'll start out with a B pack 2 cell (have a stash of them, and of 3 cells)... such a simple scratch build is a bit part of the allure... but being a bit more maneuverable is another part... thoughts?

I think you'll be fine. You are on the same path I started on several years ago. I tried the Nutball and Flyer first with limited success (I was under powered). When I moved up to the Bloody Wonder (and went to 3 cell) I found success very quickly. I basically learned to fly RC with the Bloody Wonder on a B Pack equivalent motor and then quickly moved up to the C Pack equivalent. I saw equivalent because the FT power packs weren't around when I started. You will crash. Embrace that, rebuild and continue on. Good luck, and more importantly, enjoy the journey.

Wildhorse

Hey guys I’m in process of cutting out a bloody wonder mk lll. I have seen all of the different tails on it so going to ask a loaded question here. Which one? I am going to go with the f15 style so there are 3 different ones which fly better or does one thing better than other ones. Asking for pros and cons. Thanks in advance

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hey guys I’m in process of cutting out a bloody wonder mk lll. I have seen all of the different tails on it so going to ask a loaded question here. Which one? I am going to go with the f15 style so there are 3 different ones which fly better or does one thing better than other ones. Asking for pros and cons. Thanks in advance

I have not tried every variant of tail configuration myself, but I have not seen any significant change in flight characteristics with the ones I have. I think you'll be fine with any option you choose. That said, I prefer the medium sized fins (8C) from the version 1.3 plans at a 60° angle (gauge included on plans). That gives more of an F-18 appearance than an F-15, but you can install them at 90° for that F-15 look as well. Whatever option you end up going with, please share some pictures of your finished model.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hey SPONZ.
Do you have a landing gear recommendation for the mkiii?

You should be able to use the standard swappable pod landing gear (i.e. Flyer, Nutball, Delta, etc.) without any problems. You just need to modify the fuselage a little to accommodate the gear wire. Just mark and cut a couple of slots to allow clearance for the landing gear.

donalson

got mine built yesterday finally after having the plans cut out and ready for more than 6 months... getting ready for FFTX so it was finally time... I used the shortest of the tail fins at 60* angle... I like the look... I think i'm going to cover the wing tips to clean it up...

I've also used some chopsticks on the power pod... I learned with the bloody brit that in a nose crash the rear skewer likes to snap... I still need to cut out some gift cards to add support on the fuse and the power pod... and then add all the electronics to the airframe and paint it... still debating on how I want to paint it... as it's for combat I need something that'll stick out.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I was thinking something like florescent yellow... but a neon pink could be a good option :)... need to to look for paint options at the store.

Neon pink AND fluorescent yellow! Now were talking!!!

donalson

so has anyone done a 3rd rear vert stab?... I used the small two at the 60* angle... it looks kind of naked in the middle and I'm thinking maybe a 3rd right in the center is needed? lol...