Bloody Wonder MkIII - Build

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Are you going to add the doublers to the inside of the fuselage?

97tj-neil

The boy and I are planning to fly some combat tomorrow so I decided to build myself a BW MKIII.

04DD432C-22D5-4325-8487-037626F63ED9_zpsbdq2zvcm.jpg

97tj-neil

Thanks, Dan. I am sure you can see where my inspiration for the color scheme came from.

This plane is an absolute tank. I have nosed it in at almost full throttle several times, landed it in trees, clipped branches, etc. I have hit everything except my son's BW MKI! WE are having a lot of fun flying combat, and these planes are perfectly sized for our backyard airstrip. The only problem is that he is a better pilot than I am.

I have damaged this one so much that it is getting a new fuselage and power pod this weekend. The wing and tail are still like new. I added a full width bamboo skewer reinforcement just inside the leading edge of the wing, and glued in ribs that match the shape of the airfoil at each end of the wing. The leading edges of the Delta V-tails got skewers as well.

Maybe this weekend we will get some video of our next combat after the rebuild.

I just love this Plane.

This is my fourth build of a Bloody Wonder actually my second Bloody Wonder MKIII. I just love this plane. It's easy to build and she just flys all over the place really well. The problem I had with my first MKIII was that it was just about all black top and bottom and I had a hard time telling which side was up. And that was the cause of it's demise. I flew her into the ground because I could tell which side was up. This time the bottom is all yellow and white with mixed colors on the top and she should be easier to see. Even so if she crashes I'll just build another one. It's a great plane to have in the hanger.
Build #2.jpg

danield

I build two Bloody Wonder's. One SBK and one scratch built. The first I built was the scratch built with 24 gram blue wonder and 2 -9 gram servos in the under side of wing centered on ailerons, and one servo in stock position but underside so as not seen. It looked great but was very tail heavy. FT says that the smaller motor is ok for a beginner but did not mention adjusting CG for that. Since I hate to add dead weight to any plane, I added 1 1/2" to nose which made CG adjustable with the battery placement. Maiden was without incident.
The SBK v2 was built with the BEEF and standard 9 gram servo's in normal placement. CG was dead on and it screams. Goes much faster than my skills. Lasted about 7 minutes. All the pieces fit in a 5 gallon bucket. Grand kids are still laughing at my flying skills. I'm afraid to fly my FT Baby Blender. Love the mini's.

phil3915

BW MKIII CG

Great thread on a really nice plane. I could use some help on the CG before maiden.
The plans have CG about 1.75 back but there was talk on this thread about putting it back further to match the old BW V2.
My MKIII is tail heavy w CG at 1.75 and that's with a 1300 mah forward under the power pod AND landing gear.
Maybe Maestro Sponz can detail his experience with CG on this plane?

I had the same CG problem, really tail heavy. I had to add a lot of extra weight to the nose (2 three inch common nails). It sounds weard but it worked. It flew great on the recommended CG at that point.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Great thread on a really nice plane. I could use some help on the CG before maiden.
The plans have CG about 1.75 back but there was talk on this thread about putting it back further to match the old BW V2.
My MKIII is tail heavy w CG at 1.75 and that's with a 1300 mah forward under the power pod AND landing gear.
Maybe Maestro Sponz can detail his experience with CG on this plane?

Can you tell me a little more about your setup? What motor and ESC are you running? What foam board did you build with, etc? The 1.75" CG puts the CG right on the main spar, which is where it should be. It balances very well with the C Pack setup and and 1800 - 2200 mAh 3S. With lighter setup and other build materials you will need to make adjustments. But, the CG location of 1.75" is where you should be.

Nose Heavy Bloody Wonder MKIII

Here's what I did. It doesn't look pretty, but she flies. I have used several power pods with different motors but this one is a 1500kv blue wonder. Hope this helps
20170204_133725_HDR.jpg
Bloody Wonder MKIIIa.jpg

phil3915

BW MKIII CG

Can you tell me a little more about your setup? What motor and ESC are you running? What foam board did you build with, etc? The 1.75" CG puts the CG right on the main spar, which is where it should be. It balances very well with the C Pack setup and and 1800 - 2200 mAh 3S. With lighter setup and other build materials you will need to make adjustments. But, the CG location of 1.75" is where you should be.

Hi Dan,
Thanks for the quick response. Construction is typical DTFB build with hot glue. Careful build with close attention to plans.
Motor: Turnigy D2826/10 1400KV, 30 amp esc, 7x6 APC clone prop w O ring mount, 1300mah Nano Tech batt, Large landing gear (flag wire with 2" tires). The electronics are odds and ends from a CTH Albatross and Assassin. Two tough planes.
Plane uses a standard power pod housing the ESC, RX, Servo extensions and bind switch.
I relocated the ESC and Servo wires (full boat of servo extension wires are plugged into the Lemon receiver and stowed in the pod). Moving that stuff forward helped considerably. With the front of the battery 1.25 inches back from the firewall. It balances nicely at 1.75. Mainly, I just wanted to verify the documented CG. This is a nice build and I don't want to face plant on the maiden. Hoping for snow soon (SW Michigan) so I'll have a cushion.
Thanks Again.

Well, I need bigger boat oops Motor

I actually hadn't flown my Bloody Wonder MKII in a while and I actually can't remember the actual motor I used. Believe me she did fly even with the extra weight. Weather conditions play a factor too. It was summer when I flew her and not winter at 40 deg. I did try her today with that 1500kv motor as pictured, and I couldn't get her to stay in the air. I guess I used a different Power pod. You know with over 50 scratch built planes it's hard to keep track which motor goes with which plane. Anyway, You'll just need to compromise between weight and motor. And yes getting the balance on this plane is tricky.

seth

Hı everbody. I am Nesimi from Turkey.

This is my Blody Wonder MkIII Twin. Thank you for Flite Test orginal Bloody Wonder and thank you for Spoon Bloody Wonder MkIII.

IMG-20170311-WA0003.jpeg

P_20170312_000704.jpg

P_20170312_000716.jpg

P_20170312_000727.jpg

P_20170312_000758.jpg

P_20170312_000817.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Potential for a MkIV? V-tail maybe? What do you guys think?

Bloody Wonder MkIV Prototype 03.png

Bloody Wonder MkIV Prototype 02.png

Can you spot any other changes besides the v-tail?

Also, huge shout out to David Snyman for the v-tail idea.

Last edited: