Can I have my cake and eat it?

Ophorus

Dear All,
after a few years of a break I'm restarting the hobby, because my 5-year-old son wants to learn to fly a plane. We will be building a Tiny Trainer and an Old Fogey so we need to buy a transmitter or two. I have some old BNF "toys" (Vapor and Blade 120SR) that I would like to control with the same transmitter, but the current DX6 and DX6i don't bind to pre-2015 receivers :(

Which transmitters would be compatible with my old toys as well as brand-new receivers which we would stick into our new models? A used DX5? Something else? Thanks a million in advance for your help.

Best,
Ophorus

elw773

I have a dx4e that binds to pretty much anything and the dx5e should work the same. I am surprised the dx6i and dx6 did not work, however, there may be a way around. Best of luck;)

Edit: I just found out that the EU versions do not support DSM2. So the only way around would be to get a North American version.

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Opheous,

First off, welcome to the forum!

now for your issue . . .

The vapor is easy -- the replacement brick the night vapor/FPV vapor uses should be a drop-in replacement. PKZU1152

The 120SR . . . maybe not so much. The latest versions are flybarless, so mounts are likely completely off, and there's a chance the software stabilization will fight with the flybar. It's possible it could be made to work, but the chances are slim. You can get replacement parts for the 120SR, but don't think it was updated to DSMX before it was discontinued, so that probably won't do you much good.

It is *Possible* to build out an "anylink"-like module using one of the multi-protocol modules, but that would either need to be driven my a wired trainer port, or a DSMX RX driving a CPPM output. I haven't seen it done, mind you, but it's possible.

Ophorus

DSM2 is dead in Europe!

I have a dx4e that binds to pretty much anything and the dx5e should work the same. I am surprised the dx6i and dx6 did not work, however, there may be a way around. Best of luck;)

Edit: I just found out that the EU versions do not support DSM2. So the only way around would be to get a North American version.

Thanks a lot elw773! Looks like you're right: http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=103168

I'll get one from North America then! :cool:

magic_marty

One thing you might consider is a Devo tx running Deviation firmware if you plan on sticking with the hobby, i have a couple of 12ch Devo's with Deviation firmware and by adding the 4n1 module i can connect to hundreds of different models using the same tx with nundreds of model memories stored in the tx including all DSM2/X /Flysky/Frysky Hubson jjrc there is way to many to list if interested you can learn more at the website deviationtx.com