Challenge: Ducted Fan Everything

musstang

I was looking at the Kracken and thought about how easy it would be to mount ducted fans on top of the wing. Then I thought about what else you could mount ducted fans on (Versa, obviously, but also the Cruiser, maybe). How many designs can you throw ducted fans on?

Also, I have ordered the Viggen with a ducted fan and am already thinking about how to add thrust vectoring to it. I will share the details as I make it work. Can you guys at Flite Test make one work?

musstang

I know he made thrust vectoring for the prop version, but I didn't see one for the ducted fan. If he has already made one for the ducted fan, where can I find it?

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Really any plane with enough modification and scaling can house a edf unit. Some mounted on the exterior fuse and some possible on the interior fuse. Ive thought about take a spit and installing a edf inside it(mig f 86 style) sizing up the AC then ducting the inside and modifying The tail. Just for the fun of it

electricRC

HbbyFLyr
Could just turn the Cruiser into a twin 'jet'. Would like to do similar, but I have had NO luck scratch building. Four attempts, only two failed flights. Waiting for FT to release the micro's, all my current electronics are perfect for them. If I gain the skills I will be going crazy with the cruiser design. I think it would make an excellent base for a B-25/Beech 18 twin tail, A-20/B-26, and by moving the canopy forward with EDF power it would have a resemblance to an ME-262, not to mention a slightly new nose design could turn into various Heinkel planes (HE-110) or British bombers.
But again, would have to have some scratch building prowess before doing any of these.

ladykate

The Versa makes a good platform for an EDF. You can move the motor to get the CG right so no counter weights. I used a 64mm on the first one. Flies fine on a 3s 2200. No expansion chamber so it could probably be made even better.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I know he made thrust vectoring for the prop version, but I didn't see one for the ducted fan. If he has already made one for the ducted fan, where can I find it?

I could have sworn that David made a thrust vectoring unit for an EDF viggen. Anyway in my head I remember it looked like this:
EDFvectoring.jpg
Just google "rc EDF thrust vectoring" for ideas

Last edited:

Mikado Man

I was as an indoor funfly a few years ago and saw the COOLEST edf foamie. It was a scratch built Klingon bird of prey with twin fans. It still needed a little smoothing out but was by far the coolest use of an edf I've ever seen.

Cody

David's thrust vectoring viggen was in either the SEFF or NALL recap video. I don't remember which one it was but it ended up in a lake.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
David's thrust vectoring viggen was in either the SEFF or NALL recap video. I don't remember which one it was but it ended up in a lake.

Thanks for the tip. Its in the SEFF 2014 video at around the 17:20 minute mark. Unfortunately they don't go in to depth about how David made it, besides that it's 3D printed.