Community EZ Pack for Salvaged Whoops

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
After seeing Griz Wiz's mini EZ Pack snow skimmer I though of making a part 3d printed solution to the EZ pack without a gyro. This wouldn't work too well for 2 channel aircraft unless they fly indoors, but it could work for ground craft. I'll make some sketches and if I can ever get logged back into fusion I'll make a resource with the files. This may be kind of confusing, but after I make sketches hopefully it's much clearer.
The main components would be:
  1. motor(s) from a dead whoop
  2. A receiver (peferable micro, but standard sized ones with the casing removed may be light enough)
  3. Micro Brushed ESC(s) (if using a normal receiver. Here's an example: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyki...077&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products)
  4. The board from the whoop (alternative to the heavier receiver, but overall less versatile)
  5. 3d printed motor mounts (a few different types for different applications, one for a pusher, on for a tractor, one for a vertically mounted motor, etc)
P.S. someone could and must make a 2 channel Spruce Goose with this.

GrizWiz

Elite member
I was looking at a helicopter control board that I had and since it has 2 motors that spin opposite directions and one on the tail I figured that you could use a magnetic servo as elevator control.
https://www.minimumrc.com/products/412-coreless-motor-set
Here is a micro receiver with built in esc
https://www.minimumrc.com/products/brushless-micro-4ch-receiver-with-build-in-5a-brushless-esc

I have worked on some ideas for some little edf units to use for the ez pack. my problem is that the motor don't produce enough thrust to move that aircraft.

When testing the skimmer it was very hard to get working right and would not work very well after going over bumps.

Attachments

• 20mm edfductmount v1.stl
    235.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

GrizWiz

Elite member
I drew up some models to hold the EZ Board, Battery, and motors. Could you test these @Ryan O.? I do not have a 3D printer at the moment. Do you have a FT EZ Pack? If not can you just try the battery and motor holders? Here are the files. For the battery holder and control board holder I made them so you can attach them to some EZ designs.
BatteryHolder1.PNG BatteryHolder2.PNG BatteryHolder3.PNG ControlBoardHolder1.PNG ControlBoardHolder2.PNG MotorClamp1.PNG MotorClamp2.PNG

Attachments

• EZMotorClampV1.stl
    45.9 KB · Views: 0
  • ControlBoardHolder.stl
    28.2 KB · Views: 0
  • BatteryHolderLid.stl
    79.2 KB · Views: 0
  • BatteryHolderBox.stl
    55.3 KB · Views: 0

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I drew up some models to hold the EZ Board, Battery, and motors. Could you test these @Ryan O.? I do not have a 3D printer at the moment. Do you have a FT EZ Pack? If not can you just try the battery and motor holders? Here are the files. For the battery holder and control board holder I made them so you can attach them to some EZ designs.
View attachment 195976 View attachment 195977 View attachment 195978 View attachment 195979 View attachment 195980 View attachment 195981 View attachment 195982
I don't have one but I have the motors.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
@Griz Wiz can you take measurements on your EZ Pack? I think my motors are the same, but they may be a mm longer or wider, so it would be useful to make sure I'm designing for the right dimensions. If They're different I'll make files for both types.

GrizWiz

Elite member
@Griz Wiz can you take measurements on your EZ Pack? I think my motors are the same, but they may be a mm longer or wider, so it would be useful to make sure I'm designing for the right dimensions. If They're different I'll make files for both types.
The motors are 7*16mm
Also have you tested the mounts I did?

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
The motors are 7*16mm
Also have you tested the mounts I did?
Noy yet, currently in the middle of a hotend swap for my printer. I already took the assembly apart. I'm waiting for one last part to arrive which should be here tomorrow :D It'll be one of the first prints I do after tuning retractions.

GrizWiz

Elite member
Noy yet, currently in the middle of a hotend swap for my printer. I already took the assembly apart. I'm waiting for one last part to arrive which should be here tomorrow :D It'll be one of the first prints I do after tuning retractions.
Very nice! I hope to get one soon

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
So I've decided to focus on the 6x15 motors since that's what's in most whoops. Next I'll make some designs for the 7x16

Hondo76251

Legendary member
So I've decided to focus on the 6x15 motors since that's what's in most whoops. Next I'll make some designs for the 7x16
All the ones ive built have been on the 8 20 motors. I think the plane will have to be pretty light to run a 6 15.
I really like using the gear reduction motors too for the larger props:

I have tried to make a plane that uses the whoop board and transmitter too (hubsan x4 in this case) but i havent perfected it yet, but my last one was getting close.

It'll be fun to see what parts can be made for these, Someday ill get a 3d printer set up! 🙄

GrizWiz

Elite member
All the ones ive built have been on the 8 20 motors. I think the plane will have to be pretty light to run a 6 15.

I have tried to make a plane that uses the whoop board and transmitter too (hubsan x4 in this case) but i havent perfected it yet, but my last one was getting close.

It'll be fun to see what parts can be made for these, Someday ill get a 3d printer set up! 🙄
That flies quite nice! What props do you have on those. They look like a syma drones props

@Hondo76251 what's your shipping cost? Send me one!

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!

Cool, I'll pick up some of those.