Complete newbie here, need some help, tips, and advice please.

Txwarthog

I'm done......lol Even with my big 3 cell Battery in the nose this is how it balances out. Not sure what to think about that.

Attachments

• 15394627292641001105631.jpg
    15394627292641001105631.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • P_20181013_154858.gif
    P_20181013_154858.gif
    32.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I’m 90% certain that is correct but I hope somebody else pipe up to verify, I’ve never flown a V-tail.

I also think your throws are correct, but it is really hard to tell. Your moving the sick's too fast, for me anyway. I'd like to see a video, from the back of the plane where you push the sticks to right, left, up & down, then hold it for a second or two before you move tot he next position. Give us a moment to see what is going on. Doing circles with the stick is not much help.

Here is what you should see. From the back of the plane looking forward, pulling back on the stick (giving it up) both should go up. Pushing forward (giving it down) both should go down. Left stick, both should go left (left one down, right one up). Right stick, both should go right (left one up, right one down)

Txwarthog

Even with the big battery, and washers weights this is what it does. It's stopped raining. I'm record what it does at 1/4 gas. While I'm at it this is the fit.

Attachments

• P_20181013_163405.gif
    P_20181013_163405.gif
    34.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 153946701113753600155.jpg
    153946701113753600155.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Looks like your plane will fly, congratulations. I’d recommend a better flying site, one with less stuff to hit. Something like a large park or open field. It looked like you wisely did not give full power. You’ll need a spot where you have enough room to give it more power. Try to get more altitude before you start to trim your plane, it will be much easier to fly when it is trimmed out.

Watch your fingers when you toss your plane. Might be a good idea if someone else could give you a toss, then apply the power after the plane is clear.

Keep going, you’re almost there.

Txwarthog

I know many people have helped and read this, I just wanted to to show some achievement for everyone. Many many thanks. Here is a little Halloween bonus.

Attachments

• P_20181013_192511.gif
    P_20181013_192511.gif
    10.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
Good job! That’s the way to go, next time at a better location you’ll be able to get some better results. I think the first plane always seems as a failure because it doesn’t fly. Had the same with my first plane. But this is a wrong way to see it because it’s not a failure actually more like a success because that is the best lessons learned. Then when you build the second one after you decide to trash the first one, your already more experienced and the build process goes better.

I also think that on your first plane you were overthinking it. Which is why you never set it to fly with the motor. I enjoyed watching you semi fly the FT Sparrow, but still highly recommend to try the practicing with the TT it’s really a great trainer plane.

Good luck with the next fly, sure your itiching to go again NOW!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
This is where I'm at right now. I'm doing Velcro in the nose to manage counter weight. Taking a little break before I work on the sevos, and see if I can even make this thing work. It's going to rain here for a few days. Once I get the sevos done I'll post a gif and see if it's worth making a power pod at that point.

Wow, dude. That is a seriously clean build! You know my experience level, but from what I see in those photos? If it doesn't fly, it is NOT because the build was wonky. That's just your second build. You continue to inspire. Thanks, man.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Except the electronics shown later in your thread. How do your servos work? Just from the images, it seems like they couldn't.

Tjhochha

Awesome! Way to go, I think you're there, you just need to wait for some good weather and find a nice open area to fly. There's about 20 clear acres behind my house and it makes me slightly nervous to fly there.

d8veh

Elite member
Good progress! That's not the easiest plane to fly, though. I think something like the Mini Scout or one of the trainers might be better to learn the basic controls before having fun with that one.

Txwarthog

Took it out today, I'll upload video tomorrow, but here are a couple of aftermath pics.

Attachments

• P_20181014_144648.jpg
    P_20181014_144648.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • P_20181014_144658.jpg
    P_20181014_144658.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Took it out today, I'll upload video tomorrow, but here are a couple of aftermath pics.
Heyyy, wait a minute! That's looks like my TT and I haven't even flown yet! :p Did it fly? Even a little? I sure hope so. It's stated above, and I've read other places that plane can be a lot to handle for a new pilot.

I suspect I'm going to get tired of ordering kits really quickly and just learn to scratch-build. I'll scratch and crash and scratch and repair, and when I get where I'm happy, I think then I'll order the kit.

One dollar for a sheet of foam board, a little bit of time and hot glue, and endless stress relief when I remember that I'm doing all this to de-stress from work. For me, it's about remembering that this is something that I do not have to stress. It is foam board and I enjoy the build process. I'm having a Maker's Ball of a time, and I haven't even flown yet.

I hope you're not stressing on it Tx. I am (slowly) learning not to, and it's nice.

Build. Fly. Crash. Repeat. I would add the word "Enjoy" to that. Kind of says it all.

Flite Risk

Its a trainer, you are in training, in my opinion putting an over sized battery kinda takes the plane into the experimental side.

Now before you think I'm a kill joy hear me out.

Build the plane stock and learn to fly first. Get good at flying it stock then the only variable is you. Once you have 20 boring flights under you then build. Experimental aircraft. ;; - )

I may have missed something and if you are already there I apologize. Or if a previous poster has said the same ....

Happy flying