Conscendo Evolution + air brakes

jolfstn74

I love my conscendo evolution bnf.to death. I've since resurrected it by purchasing a new fuselage. One problem is that it's very challenging to slow down for landing.i don't have the largest field,so my first thought was Flapperons,I removed the Y adapter from the aierlons & plugged them into 2&5 on my rx, then attempted to program my tx (OrangeRX T-6) but she was having none of it. Tried several times different methods,and it never worked. Either I had aierlons but no flap functionality, or flaps work but no aierlons,or just twitchy cattywampus aierlons with no functionality. I do believe it is possible,but either me,my tx, my rx or all 3 of us are deficient in some way.so on to plan B: aftermarket air brakes. I've settled on these:. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/glider-...447&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products
Hobbyking says they will be fine in a foam wing, following surgery I'm thinking of shoring up the structure of the wing with extra carbon rods. Has anyone out there had any luck programing Flapperons on a Conscendo Evolution via an ORX T-6, or has anyone added air brakes to a Conscendo Evolution? What about another foam wing? I welcome any feedback to my plan.
Worst case,I may wind up buying replacement wings,but it seems worth a try.

whackflyer

Master member
Just learn to manage your airspeed better - problem solved! Gliders are hard to land tho, I'll give you that.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I don't know much about airbrakes, but before doing that you should try learning how to slip. You can increase the drag by a lot and possibly slow down your plane just enough. It probably has the same effect as airbrakes just without the extra weight, and I have used it successfully before.

jolfstn74

Whackflyer, thank you for your reply! I was able to manage far better at a large field,but my regular go-to is a little tight,lots of obstacles,a few trees,but very tall grass,used to be an apple orchard but the trees got aboreal-ebolaCovidHerpes or some other tree disease and they cut almost all of them down and left large trunk sections under the tall grass, I've done a faceplant or two tromping through that field. It's a pain to get to other flying locations,though I'm sure you're right as my skills improve over time I will be able to manage the speed better; in the meantime, I think these air brakes are going to be a good solution.we'll see.

jolfstn74

Ketchup, thanks for answering! I'm GREAT at slipping,I fall on my ass on a regular basis,I had no idea this could slow my plane down! Seriously,by slip you mean that sideways sort of flying? I'll have to learn the technique but I can see how the extra drag could slow the glider down! Thanks it's a great idea!

bracesport

Legendary member
@jolfstn74 - if you add flaps then you can have crow braking - I recently cut them into one of my gliders - alternatively, if you have full-span ailerons you can divide them in half to add the flaps - with programming you can run them together or opposing for crow brakes (ailerons up and flaps down). :)

312042_12cf9b821fadac80ff03576939c4ee6c.jpg
312044_494cc69c98ea59a077ce53f8bf6fe9c1.jpg
312244_929d89abb29dadb7dcb503cd5544c765.jpeg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@jolfstn74 - if you add flaps then you can have crow braking - I recently cut them into one of my gliders - alternatively, if you have full-span ailerons you can divide them in half to add the flaps - with programming you can run them together or opposing for crow brakes (ailerons up and flaps down). :)

View attachment 181926 View attachment 181927 View attachment 181928
That's a great suggestion - definitely what I would go for. I haven't had great luck using flaperons - it seems to eliminate most aileron control.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Ketchup, thanks for answering! I'm GREAT at slipping,I fall on my ass on a regular basis,I had no idea this could slow my plane down! Seriously,by slip you mean that sideways sort of flying? I'll have to learn the technique but I can see how the extra drag could slow the glider down! Thanks it's a great idea!
Yep, its that sideways stuff. It seems to work well for me.

FelishaSimon

I went through two Conscendo Advanced BNF airplanes - this one is a world of different. My biggest problem was that the airframe seemed rather weak. The aft end gets pretty narrow near the tail, and it would shimmy at higher speeds or coming out of a dive. The canopy also snapped right in half just in front of the wing mounts on what was a less thRead more about review stating Much Improved and A Great Plane Overall an ideal landing. What it really needed was a stiffer airframe overall. It seems like Horizon really listened to their customers and did just that!
text to speech
The Conscendo Evolution flies like a totally different airplane entirely. It is stronger, and feels more solid in the air. Even when going through some relatively aggressive flying (for a glider), it is both solid as a rock in its structure and smooth as a feather in its handling. AS3X and SAFE are a huge bonus as well. On a 2200mAh 3s, I can get about 45 minutes of flying with good throttle management. If this one suffers an unfortunate end, you can bet I'll be getting another shortly thereafter.

Last edited:

dingrftfr

I love my conscendo evolution bnf.to death. I've since resurrected it by purchasing a new fuselage. One problem is that it's very challenging to slow down for landing.i don't have the largest field,so my first thought was Flapperons,I removed the Y adapter from the aierlons & plugged them into 2&5 on my rx, then attempted to program my tx (OrangeRX T-6) but she was having none of it. Tried several times different methods,and it never worked. Either I had aierlons but no flap functionality, or flaps work but no aierlons,or just twitchy cattywampus aierlons with no functionality. I do believe it is possible,but either me,my tx, my rx or all 3 of us are deficient in some way.so on to plan B: aftermarket air brakes. I've settled on these:. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/glider-...447&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products
Hobbyking says they will be fine in a foam wing, following surgery I'm thinking of shoring up the structure of the wing with extra carbon rods. Has anyone out there had any luck programing Flapperons on a Conscendo Evolution via an ORX T-6, or has anyone added air brakes to a Conscendo Evolution? What about another foam wing? I welcome any feedback to my plan.
Worst case,I may wind up buying replacement wings,but it seems worth a try.

Search "brian phillips conscendo flaps" on YouTube to see a relatively simple flap mod using an extra servo. The penalty would be the weight of one servo and a few pieces of wire and tape. The HK spoilers you linked to are 40g a piece. Do you really want to add 80g to your ship?

jolfstn74

So I installed the brakes, I'd been having some brownouts and had ordered a sat antenna and did not await it's arrival. The brakes did not seem to affect flight negatively and they served their purpose very well! I was able to settle the plane MUCH faster and was having a ball! problem solved. For a short while.
I had a brownout and nosedived HARD. The tail ripped off from the shockwave through the fuselage. I was able to reattach it with additional carbon rods through the area and a fair bit of epoxy and gorilla tape layering, took some torqueing, and putting the plane in traction to realign the tail with the wing, then having a jittery motor upon startup, then intermittent cut-outs, I narrowed that down to a damaged ESC.
Initially I had hoped it had merely lost it's throw, and did the rebinding with the 2 beeps at open throttle, and it worked! For one flight.
Then it kept happening. So I removed the ESC and replaced it with one 10 amps greater than the original stock.
I lose the potential of the telemetry, but was unable to take advantage of it to begin with as my OrangeRX T-SIX is incompatible with the telemetry and unable to receive it or display. What I gain in POWER? Ever seen the movie "Dr. Strangelove"? the dude riding the missile? I can straddle the Conscendo similarly and ride it hundreds of feet in the air! But not really at all. It's merely much faster and climbs more and zooms and whooshes even more dramatically. While this should please me,
I'm a novice, the worst kind of inexperienced, I'm the poster child for "A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing...". I know enough to
quickly get into trouble, over my head, out of my league, etc. etc. So while the plane is very much noticeably faster, more powerful,
in my case, imagine giving a souped up corvette to a 16 year old with an attitude problem and authority issues. The thing was plenty fast to begin with! this is going to have only 1consequence for me. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon. and for the rest of the life of the poor doomed aircraft.
I know that it means my next wreck is going to be ever more damaging and dramatic. Dear readers, invest in producers of dense foam and the underground airplane sweat shops where the Conscendo is produced, as I'll be spending much on repairs and replacement. I'm a very prodigious good American consumer! I'm doing my part to stimulate the economy! You're welcome! In the meantime, I'll not fly it again until I get the better receiver antenna. Probably. Unless I do.

OliverW

Legendary member
So I installed the brakes, I'd been having some brownouts and had ordered a sat antenna and did not await it's arrival. The brakes did not seem to affect flight negatively and they served their purpose very well! I was able to settle the plane MUCH faster and was having a ball! problem solved. For a short while.
I had a brownout and nosedived HARD. The tail ripped off from the shockwave through the fuselage. I was able to reattach it with additional carbon rods through the area and a fair bit of epoxy and gorilla tape layering, took some torqueing, and putting the plane in traction to realign the tail with the wing, then having a jittery motor upon startup, then intermittent cut-outs, I narrowed that down to a damaged ESC.
Initially I had hoped it had merely lost it's throw, and did the rebinding with the 2 beeps at open throttle, and it worked! For one flight.
Then it kept happening. So I removed the ESC and replaced it with one 10 amps greater than the original stock.
I lose the potential of the telemetry, but was unable to take advantage of it to begin with as my OrangeRX T-SIX is incompatible with the telemetry and unable to receive it or display. What I gain in POWER? Ever seen the movie "Dr. Strangelove"? the dude riding the missile? I can straddle the Conscendo similarly and ride it hundreds of feet in the air! But not really at all. It's merely much faster and climbs more and zooms and whooshes even more dramatically. While this should please me,
I'm a novice, the worst kind of inexperienced, I'm the poster child for "A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing...". I know enough to
quickly get into trouble, over my head, out of my league, etc. etc. So while the plane is very much noticeably faster, more powerful,
in my case, imagine giving a souped up corvette to a 16 year old with an attitude problem and authority issues. The thing was plenty fast to begin with! this is going to have only 1consequence for me. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon. and for the rest of the life of the poor doomed aircraft.
I know that it means my next wreck is going to be ever more damaging and dramatic. Dear readers, invest in producers of dense foam and the underground airplane sweat shops where the Conscendo is produced, as I'll be spending much on repairs and replacement. I'm a very prodigious good American consumer! I'm doing my part to stimulate the economy! You're welcome! In the meantime, I'll not fly it again until I get the better receiver antenna. Probably. Unless I do.
The brown out issues are with the orangeRX system. Its got a bad reputation for browning out if you even start to gain trust in the system. I've had to throw away 6 orange RX receivers due to brown outs

whackflyer

Master member
That would still cause it. Orange systems are really unreliable
Orange TX's are fine, it's the receivers that aren't, for me they've been really hit any miss. I had one I got from a friend that would brown out and crash the plane nearly every flight, so that one got trashed. I have another one that's exactly the same with hundreds of flights on it and not one failure, I trust my big Super Cub to it and it never lets me down.