Curtiss P-40b Warhawk

Timmychanga

This a build log of my very first scratch build that I have designed. I will post pictures and updates of my build progress as well as the many thousands of questions I will have. Your comments and critiques are more than welcome.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
My favorite WW2 plane by far - I remember reading and rereading about the Flying Tigers squadron in China back when I was in elementary school - just fascinated by the aircraft and the obstacles the squadron overcame.

Looking forward to seeing this progress, and happy to help out with any questions you have!

Timmychanga

It's my favorite too! I was panning on painting it with the flying tigers paint scheme, so if you have any patterns or pictures that would be very helpful:D

Timmychanga

IMG_5907.JPG IMG_5908.JPG Here is the fuselage so far. I plan to put a layer of foamboard on the bottom with a magnetic hatch on the top and a functional air scoop for ESC cooling. Right now I am working on the horizontal and vertical stabilizer.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I love the P40.

The whole AVG story really stirred my interest in aviation. I grew up on tales of Pappy Boyington and Le Claire Chennault.

Looking forward to seeing this one in the air! :)

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Callie's Graphics has an excellent decal set (a couple actually) for the P-40 to check out

https://callie-graphics.com/collections/p-40-thunderbolt

Even if you go 100% on your own for painting and decal work, her stuff is an excellent well researched reference point.

WOW! She's really revamped her website since I last ordered from her.

I'm partial to the P-40 as well, although mine has proven to be a headache from time to time. Worth it though :eek:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
awesome can't wait to see the final product, I have a few questions.
1. how big of a wingspan are you planning on doing? but based on the size of your fuse it looks like it's going to be maybe ~20-25 inches.
2. what power setup, power pack A or F I'm guessing.
3. 3 or 4 channel?

looking good so far:applause:

Timmychanga

Finished cutting the tail.
IMG_5909.JPG IMG_5911.JPG IMG_5910.JPG IMG_5912.JPG
I cut everything by hand, so the vertical stabilizer took about 3 minutes just cutting!! It was worth it though.

Timmychanga

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could use for control horns (short of buying them, i mean;))? I was going to use plastic flossers, but they were too big.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
For large control horns you could cut them out of 1/16 inch ply and drill small holes through them to allow a couple of toothpicks to be slid through them.

the toothpicks are embedded in the FB and glued to spread the forces applied through the control horn into the control surface without fear of ripping the control horn out due to the increased aerodynamic forces.

What works for me!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could use for control horns (short of buying them, i mean;))? I was going to use plastic flossers, but they were too big.

I use plastic gift card material cut to the dimensions of a FT mini control horn

(like a used gift card)

earthsciteach

I am SO excited to see all of these scratch-build designs popping up! The P-40 is def in the top 5 of fighters for me!