Another MS design - the Curtiss P-36

bwarz

Master member
That looks awesome. Well done!
That looks really great.
(y)(y)(y).(y)(y)X10-10th

Awesome build, great paint job!!(y)(y)(y)(y)
Spectacular! 👏👏👏👏🤣
Thanks to everyone for the kudos. I'm having a ball building, a challenge trying to make the plans, and its cool to think someone else might build one of these and fly it. (I've got a thing for WW2 planes can't you tell?)

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Hells yeah- this plane is gorgeous. I share your fondness for WW2 warbirds, and would I'd love to build one of these, Bwarz.

bwarz

Master member
Hells yeah- this plane is gorgeous. I share your fondness for WW2 warbirds, and would I'd love to build one of these, Bwarz.
I can send you the plans if you like. I'm contemplating a modification of the wing before I 'publish' the plans, although if I drag my butt too long I'l l probably just upload as-is. They are pretty solid for the most part with the exception of the very front of the cowl. I still need to build the FB canopy/hatch as designed to be sure everything lines up. I needed to modify the clear canopy version a bit so I'd expect it needs a few tweaks...

bwarz

Master member
The wind was down and the fields are a bit drier, so I took the newest P36 build out for a maiden on Tuesday. I only got a battery and a half through it before my thumbs were too cold to function (should have had my radio glove:() Still gotta dial in the CG but with the thrust line proper (where it was designed) and zero angle it was behaving nicely.

The takeoff was quite sloppy - the field was really rough and I just wanted to get it in the air:ROFLMAO: Also, apologies on the boring video - it's been a long winter and I was just taking it easy!

bwarz

Master member
This is definitely going to be on my list, The P-40 is one of my favorite planes, then that means it's radial engined predecessor is too!
Funny - a guy at the club wanted me to build him one of these - I of course agreed, and in discussing it, he would really like a P40 - so guess what my next design is probably gonna be....

SSgt Duramax

Funny - a guy at the club wanted me to build him one of these - I of course agreed, and in discussing it, he would really like a P40 - so guess what my next design is probably gonna be....

Ha! Tell him razorbacks and radials all the way! That can be my new slogan. On the brightside, you are 80% of the way there. I mean, I already have an F6F. Razorback? Check. Radial? Check.

full2.jpg

cyclone3350

Master member
The wind was down and the fields are a bit drier, so I took the newest P36 build out for a maiden on Tuesday. I only got a battery and a half through it before my thumbs were too cold to function (should have had my radio glove:() Still gotta dial in the CG but with the thrust line proper (where it was designed) and zero angle it was behaving nicely.

The takeoff was quite sloppy - the field was really rough and I just wanted to get it in the air:ROFLMAO: Also, apologies on the boring video - it's been a long winter and I was just taking it easy!

Not only did U do a good job on the looks, but it is obviously well built. I don't think I have a 1/4 scale that could handle that rough field.

SSgt Duramax

Lol.... the classic "Oh $4!# the rates/throws are too high" on take off. Clenches you up a little bit.

SSgt Duramax

those are cool! I've been using these
View attachment 221331
then I put a 5/8 square by 10-12" on it (holes drilled to accept the nub) with a pool noodle over it all. I've got the darned things all over the garage and basement ceilings 😆 🤣

I have those too. Never thought of using them for planes. I was going to find some soft padding for my nicer planes. Thanks for the tip on the pool noodle. I use those metal hooks to hang other things from the ceiling. But i just started printing these. They are multiplying. I have decided on a 10 plane limit for my hangar.

20220308_223134.jpg

Attachments

• 20220308_223134.jpg
    20220308_223134.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0

danskis

Master member
@bwarz - just wondering what your current thoughts are on angle of incidence (or decalage)? I was thinking of making my next plane zero/zero between the wing and stabilizer, if possible.

bwarz

Master member
@bwarz - just wondering what your current thoughts are on angle of incidence (or decalage)? I was thinking of making my next plane zero/zero between the wing and stabilizer, if possible.
I wish I could give an authoritative response but at this point I'm still making it up as I go along:rolleyes:! Both of my MS designs had the hstab at 0 degrees with the thrust line. The main wing is about 1 degree up inclination on both designs. I'd say they fly well but I'm sure they could use tweaking. Actually if you really think about it, many (most?) of the FT simple designs are 0 degrees on both...

I've had long discussions with one of the owners of the hangar/hobby shop and he suggests a bunch of things that I understand in concept but am still getting comfortable with the sticks so I'm more focused on keeping it in the air than I am with the nuances of the fuselage in flight :ROFLMAO:

mastermalpass

Elite member
I know these pics are on the buildruary thread, but they really do belong here first! Wrapped up the basic gear tonight as well as one last bit of artwork. I'm bummed that painting over the silver with clear coat to seal the decals took some of the shiny metallic away :cry: but it's only noticeable on certain angles with light.
View attachment 220545 View attachment 220546
Tail-dragger, sure - but I think she needs a tail wheel... There's a 3-layer spine back where one belongs so I think I'm going to be cutting away a space to get something 3D printed in. I'm not going to try to get it tied into the rudder, but then again, the full scale Corsair had a dolly tail wheel!
View attachment 220544
The bottom of the wing being flat messed with the fuselage bottom but I tried to get a similar look of the real thing for the belly pan
View attachment 220547 View attachment 220550
The hatch ended up glue on when I attached the canopy to the hatch base - I popped the front edge of the rear window trying to get the hatch off without destroying the fuselage:rolleyes::eek:
View attachment 220551 View attachment 220552
Flaps fully deployed! I ended up using a cut down large control arm for the flaps. When I did flaps on the BF109 I had designed a different arm but I figured this would be easier.
View attachment 220554
One removable hatch...
View attachment 220542
...and one really spacious battery compartment! Below, that is a 5500 3S battery and it balances out perfectly:ROFLMAO: It's actually sitting on top of the power pod. It can also more easily sit on its side down in the pod where a smaller battery would be. Note that a smaller batter WILL need nose weight. Did I mention that I have 2814 1050kV motor in the front on a 10x7 prop? View attachment 220543

Very nice. Looking like a storebought both inside and out! That maiden was nice too. A little hot the landing though. ;)

bwarz

Master member
Well I've gone and done it... I started the rework of the plans into the P40E. Fuselage is a tad different but the wings are spot on. I'm going to end up doing a build of the just the nose to see how tings work out. Also, the P36 plans are gonna pause until I try something out with the wing on the P40 - if it works out I will replace the wing patterns with the new one - a 2-for-1 deal:ROFLMAO: Plans will hopefully be ready for an Alpha build next week.

I need to build @Ratcheeroo 's Kadet first though - a shiny new P40E distracted me once I printed out the plans:ROFLMAO:

Come to think about it, I need to do some sheets of decals for the P36 as well. Right now I only have the US Army livery - I'll likely do RAF and maybe Polish AF. Those are easy to scale up :p

bwarz

Master member
Rats - I was in such a mad dash doing the new build for Buildruary that I let the plans slip a bit - I've been away form them a bit and now reviewing things for the P40E I'm finding that there are some other loose ends to tie up. :rolleyes: I still need to do a test build of the DTFB canopy in the event that someone does not want to do the clear. Also there's a few patterns that were thrown together rather quickly (like the belly pan). I'd say the plans are easily 95% good, but need to do my homework for a bit to get them to 99%