Dropping 14 water balloons from an A-10

Crazed Scout Pilot

Hi everyone,
I did this super cool thing this week. I had just watched FT's episode dropping 3d printed bombs on tanks. And I wanted to recreate it. So, I built a Bombay in my a-10 and then loaded 5 water balloons in and then dropped them. I did 3 times dropping a total of 14 water balloons. I was hands down amazing.
IMG_8343.JPG

IMG_8344.JPG

Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 4.01.44 PM.png

It was pretty fun so I thought I'd share it. If anyone is interested in doing that let me know and I can give you some tips.

mastermalpass

Elite member
Pretty cool! Wouldn't mind trying something like that myself, but in the UK, CAA regulations say you can't drop or fire anything from an RC model.

Did you manage to put the bombay on the CG, or do you notice a change in pitch when you release the payload?

Crazed Scout Pilot

Thank you! No, because the A-10 is designed with a low wing I could not put the bombay underneath the cg instead I put the bombay right in front of the wing and moved the battery back so that the cg would be the same. When I dropped the bombs the airplane did nose up a bit but I just lessened the throttle and it was fine.

RossFPV

I bet if you were really concerned about cg changes you could have 2 bomb bays with half in front and half behind the wing