dtfb giant b-25

adamd

skunkworx hobbies
After being on hiatus from the FliteTest family for a while, I must say--it is great to be back! I have been moving around but finally have settled down and unpacked the hobby shop. Sadly, I lost most of my aircraft during the move due to moisture seeping into the trailer that held my gear. After unpacking and sniffling about my losses, I am back with avengeance!

My new project will be a B-25 with a 96” wingspan. Don’t get too excited though, as this is a freestyle build off of a three view drawing, I will not be posting any plans. Most of the building techniques are the same that are used on all the FliteTest aircraft. For more information, detailed drawings, pictures, and video footage; visit and follow my Instagram account @adam__dube (two underscores).

b-25_320sqn.jpg

I started with a tube fuselage with internal formers to give the fuse some torsional strength as it will be about 72” long.

IMG_20141126_225109.jpg

The nose was built up with internal formers for shape, then poster board for skinning—much like all of the other FliteTest builds.

IMG_20141126_222144.jpg
IMG_20141127_145523.jpg

The empennage is 30” so doubling it up would not have the sufficient strength to keep the drag on the vertical stabs from twisting and warping the horizontal stab. I reinforced the horizontal with a carbon aero shaft sandwiched between the two layers of foam. The vertical stabs are reinforced with ply and steel 90 degree brackets to keep the strength at the point of attachment.

IMG_20141129_170412.jpg
IMG_20141201_153451.jpg

Elevator and rudder are simply doubled foam with debro nylon hinges. The reliability and the smooth operation of the nylon hinge is much better than the paper and glue hinge and provides a lot less initial drag load on my servos.

IMG_20141210_161345.jpg

The wing is built up much like the 200% cruiser. The central wing section is built up much like a balsa build with ribs, spars, and sheer webbing. An internal box spar made of foam and basswood square stock will have a tang that will be accepted into the outer wing panels—just like the cruiser, as it will also be a 3-piece wing.

IMG_20141205_125945.jpg

Engine pods are made up of 1/8” ply and foam and are connected to the basswood spars. I will be running twin 42-38s and 70 amp brick ESCs; spinning two 14 x 5s on a 4S 10,000.

IMG_20141206_172822.jpg

More updates as building progresses. Feel free to post on my Instagram (@adam__dube) as I will get back to you a lot quicker. Pictures and videos are posted daily. Currently working on the electronics bay and the full-functioning bomb bay!

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
Nice explanation of each photo but no mention of the model ...... you may have to eat your own cooking and do your own laundry for that mistake.
Nice looking plane.

adamd

skunkworx hobbies
More progress today! Cutting out parts for the outer wing sections and the first mock up to check angles….wow, she’s big! Finding space to walk around the fully assembled project is starting to become more of a task than building the aircraft :p. I thought it would be good to get some pictures of the interior of the wing before I closed it. Here are some updates for you guys on the progress of the starboard side:

newwing.jpg

I was worried with the large size of the wing I would get unnecessary oil-caning and warping of the foam. So, I decided to build with a more traditional style balsa built-up wing. One basswood spar runs the length of the wing to the Tip cap to where will be attached. There are two more basswood spars that will act as the slot in which the tang from the wing center will be received. The problem is maintaining strength in the awing joint area because that is also where the gull wing anhedral bend is located. While my joint construction is much like Bixler’s, I had to make some changes to allow for this angle. I will add more detailed pictures once I have the parts for the joint cut and begin to assemble. Stay tuned. :)

JasonEricAnderson

This looks EPIC! I love the Mitchell (One of my son's middle names. Don't tell my wife I picked it from the B25) can't wait to see this. (following)

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Are you going to sand the nose down to a more streamlined shape? I really love the build so far, you are definitely the master of giant scale DTFB planes.

adamd

skunkworx hobbies
Thanks @ jasoneric secrets safe!

@akinboglueguns. Yes ill be sanding down the nose to get rid of those hoooooooorable seam lines I may even inject with expanding foam as the back is open to alow for the expansion. Once the foam is dry ill be able to shape to my hearts content without worrying about compromising the structure. I may also use the same technique on the center wing portion to build up the strength. Alot of the center structure will be cut away to make space for the bomb bay so im thinking of ways to get some meat back.

marc60

Man this plane is big. Take care it can go out the door when your finished :) Keep us informed on the build

grts Marc

earthsciteach

Awesome, Adam! Replied to your FB message re: the Ziroli plans - just let me know where to send them.

Bring yourself, the B-25, (and your cute GF ;)) to FTFF2015 and we can do some B-25 formation flying together!

joshuabardwell

Mentor
I always assumed one of the main advantages of foam board was simple, fast, cheap construction. With as much work as you're putting into this build, it almost seems like you could have done it in balsa. Beautiful build!

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Another massive build!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it.... Ill be working on a smaller b-25 and i'm trying to get a c-119 built as well