• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Giant Plane Builds into 2022

so to get things started this year I went and started on a big build and decided to share some of this build on here. I went with a B-25 and settled on a wing span of 215". The plane is mostly all foam (pink insulation) of various sizes and lite ply wood for supports and some hardwood spars.

Attachments

I used my laser to cut all the formers and have used the plans I have made on the cad program to reference everything. because of the size, I have to make everything removable to be able to get it out of the basement, so I will be showing how I am detaching everything as i go through the build.

So that the fuselage will separate, I'm building a slide in tail. I used dial rods as extra support and made the slide in section out of 1/2" foam. 1/8" ply formers will add the structure for bolting the two halves together. I will use small trap doors at the location of the bolts to allow access once I sheet the fuse.

Attachments

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
so to get things started this year I went and started on a big build and decided to share some of this build on here. I went with a B-25 and settled on a wing span of 215". The plane is mostly all foam (pink insulation) of various sizes and lite ply wood for supports and some hardwood spars.
when you get to the painting stage I think it would be cool to paint it after the ruptured duck
1648481081808.png

I had to add the stab mount to the fuse and try to figure out how it’s going to mount. Next the stab layout is interesting, I had to put a lot of thought into how I want everything to work as far as elevators and how the fins are going to mount. Spars will be 1/2 x 1/2 hardwood.

Attachments

I did two different stab layouts and I decided to go with building the stab on the bottom skin instead of building the ribs up over plans. I also cut out the vertical fin skins while I was cutting parts out on the laser

Attachments

So after looking at the stab I changed it up again and decided on half the ribs would be needed. I also started figuring out how I want the elevator hinges to be, I was thinking of traditional piano style hinge but I’m going to cut out scale hinges and see what I can do.

Attachments

I made my mind on 4 bolts to hold the stab on the fuse, so I cut out interlocking boxes and a center rib on the laser. I used clear plastic tubing as a guide for the bolts and to help with crushing issues that might occur when attaching. I'm going to leave the top sheeting off and the spars extended out until I get the fin mounting figured out, at this point I need to decide how I'm going to do that, if I will make them detach or not. my biggest concern at this point is getting the plane in and out of the workshop with out damaging all the parts.

Attachments

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
Wow! This is amazin! Nice work! Does anybody know witch plane took that sailors arm off right before takeoff in the Doolittle raid? I can’t remember.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Great progress so far! I'll be following along.

What are your thoughts on gear? Going to attempt retracts or go with fixed?

Great progress so far! I'll be following along.

What are your thoughts on gear? Going to attempt retracts or go with fixed?
I'm in the process of making a set of retracts, how ever I will use fix gear at first. Time will be the factor at this point, everything is being made from scratch.

Attachments

So elevator hinge was designed and tested and seems like its going to work out well. this is going to be as scale as I can get and will allow me to hide all linkages so there will be nothing externally exposed. I'm going to try to look into doing direct drive servo linkages to each elevator, if not I will do a torque rod control horn.

Attachments

So I went through the rest of the tail and got the elevator control horns set up. I am going to look into other ways of doing the control, but for now and am going to look at the direct drive set up I made as the base starting point. I also started the leading edge of the elevator and got one of them on.

Attachments

So the wing center section is going to have the motors and main gear in it. I’m going to laminate foam with two 1/8in light plywood sheets to get the strength with out the weight, I will brace everything off the spar and have a couple of mounting points to the fuselage to help support everything

Attachments

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Really nice work all around. The laser cut parts look really clean and it looks like it is all coming together pretty quickly so far. These big models take time but I'll admit I'm impressed with how fast this is building. Are you planning to glass and paint, or cover with low temp film, or something else?