Help! E-MAX RS 2205 2300 Kv motor from a Flite-Test Arrow Value Pack is clogging, what is the problem?

If I understand, you hooked your ESC up to a servo tester, and the motor operates? If so, that shows your ESC is able to power your servo tester, and hence it should also power your receiver. It would also prove your ESC signal wire is working - which bring into question your receiver’s or transmitter‘s throttle channel.

What I did was I plugged my ESC into the receiver, and plugged the lead of one of the servos that control the flaps into channel 3 (throttle) on the receiver, plugged the battery into the esc and tested that circuit, using the transmitter. When I moved The flaps, they worked flawlessly, which means that the receiver is not broken.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
What I did was I plugged my ESC into the receiver, and plugged the lead of one of the servos that control the flaps into channel 3 (throttle) on the receiver, plugged the battery into the esc and tested that circuit, using the transmitter. When I moved The flaps, they worked flawlessly, which means that the receiver is not broken.

In the past, I have had some cheap Orange receivers that would power all channels except throttle (only by turning the transmitter off multiple times would it wake up that channel and initialize the ESC), so it still might be the receiver, since everything else has already been replaced by Flite Test.

Maybe you need to get a servo tester and test the ESC/motor. Servo testers are usually less than $10.

Last edited:

Bifi.baarlo

Should I buy a esc from emax?
The receiver is oke than, Did you measure the 5 Volt and the Battery voltage on the moment the motor is spinning or tries to spin? If that is correct it still can be the motor or ESC, but that is your third set, I never had problems with a new ESC or motor, i have more than 100 planes, a lot of them have twin motors, can you also upload a video of the problem and how you wired everything up?

The receiver is oke than, Did you measure the 5 Volt and the Battery voltage on the moment the motor is spinning or tries to spin? If that is correct it still can be the motor or ESC, but that is your third set, I never had problems with a new ESC or motor, i have more than 100 planes, a lot of them have twin motors, can you also upload a video of the problem and how you wired everything up?

How do I measure the 5 volt circuit? Where do I put the negative and positive sticks?

Here is the video on how I wired everything up:
Here is the video of how I tested the receiver:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Turn your radio on BEFORE plugging in the main power. You are not even getting boot up tones so I suspect its not booting with no radio signal present on power up. This may be a lock out feature so the motor wont arm if no signal is present at power up.

Bifi.baarlo

How do I measure the 5 volt circuit? Where do I put the negative and positive sticks?
On the three pin connector: black is negative, red is 5 Volt and orange is signal, on the two pin XT30: black is negative and red is lipo voltage, in de video I can see that every is connected correct, the motor tries to spin, if the voltages are oke, than than you have a faulty esc or motor.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wait a minute... I just realized what radio you have. Does anyone know if this model does that same dumb stuff spectrum does and sets like 85% range for the sticks as default? I know to get one to arm a quad they have to set end points or travel to + and - ~147% to get the signal range from 1000us to 2000us. It could simply be the radio tolerances do not allow the throttle to break min command limit to allow the esc to arm.

Bifi.baarlo

Wait a minute... I just realized what radio you have. Does anyone know if this model does that same dumb stuff spectrum does and sets like 85% range for the sticks as default? I know to get one to arm a quad they have to set end points or travel to + and - ~147% to get the signal range from 1000us to 2000us. It could simply be the radio tolerances do not allow the throttle to break min command limit to allow the esc to arm.
Flysky doesn't have that, only Spectrum as far as I know, but if this should be the problem, than the motor keeps beeping, I know this very well, because I had this problem last week when I binded spectrum receivers to my Radiomaster for the first time, I couldn't calibrate the ESC's untill I figured out that spectrum did this dump stuff with the endpoints.

I ran another test by switching the motors. When I plugged in the other motor and readied the throttle, the motor started to spin very smoothly! I attached a video of what’s happening below for your viewing pleasure. So now the question is, how do I fly the wing? Does anybody have a simulator, that I can learn how to fly R/C planes and wings with?

Here is the video:

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I ran another test by switching the motors. When I plugged in the other motor and readied the throttle, the motor started to spin very smoothly! I attached a video of what’s happening below for your viewing pleasure. So now the question is, how do I fly the wing? Does anybody have a simulator, that I can learn how to fly R/C planes and wings with?

Here is the video:
Great! Is that the third motor, or the second motor?

On a wing, you have two control surfaces to control 2 axis. When you roll (right stick left and right) those act as ailerons. Right stick pushed to the left, the left aileron should go up and the right one should go down. It appears yours are behaving correctly.

When ailerons are also used to pitch up and down, they become elevators and move together. We can call them “elevons” because they combine aileron and elevator. You have no “flaps” on this airplane.

It appears that your elevator (when the elevons move together in the same direction they are doing the job of an elevator) is backwards. When you pull back on the right stick, both elevons should go up, it looks like yours is going down. You can reverse that in your transmitter.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
When you get ready to fly, consider setting up “low rates” at 70% on aileron and elevator. The Arrow is very sensitive. I also put in about 40% expo on aileron and elevator. That makes the center of the right stick a little less sensitive. The most common mistake for a new pilot is over controlling after the launch.

Lastly, be mindful of the prop when you launch it. With pusher props, it is very easy to slice a hand unless you launch with a side launch. Watch some YouTubes for launching wings.

Great! Is that the third motor, or the second motor?

On a wing, you have two control surfaces to control 2 axis. When you roll (right stick left and right) those act as ailerons. Right stick pushed to the left, the left aileron should go up and the right one should go down. It appears yours are behaving correctly.

When ailerons are also used to pitch up and down, they become elevators and move together. We can call them “elevons” because they combine aileron and elevator. You have no “flaps” on this airplane.

It appears that your elevator (when the elevons move together in the same direction they are doing the job of an elevator) is backwards. When you pull back on the right stick, both elevons should go up, it looks like yours is going down. You can reverse that in your transmitter.

Is that the third motor, or the second motor? - This is the second motor, it turns out, all this time, I was using the 1st motor

On a wing, you have two control surfaces to control 2 axis. When you roll (right stick left and right) those act as ailerons. Right stick pushed to the left, the left aileron should go up and the right one should go down. It appears yours are behaving correctly. - Ok, that‘s good

It appears that your elevator (when the elevons move together in the same direction they are doing the job of an elevator) is backwards. When you pull back on the right stick, both elevons should go up, it looks like yours is going down. You can reverse that in your transmitter. - Ok, I will do that

When you get ready to fly, consider setting up “low rates” at 70% on aileron and elevator. The Arrow is very sensitive. I also put in about 40% expo on aileron and elevator. That makes the center of the right stick a little less sensitive. The most common mistake for a new pilot is over controlling after the launch.

Lastly, be mindful of the prop when you launch it. With pusher props, it is very easy to slice a hand unless you launch with a side launch. Watch some YouTubes for launching wings.

When you get ready to fly, consider setting up “low rates” at 70% on aileron and elevator. - Ok, I will change that, mine’s at 100% right now. Thanks for the tip.

The Arrow is very sensitive. I also put in about 40% expo on aileron and elevator. That makes the center of the right stick a little less sensitive. The most common mistake for a new pilot is over controlling after the launch. - Right now, I’m running 30% expo on the aileron and elevator (like the page says) should I change that to 40% Thanks for the tip

Lastly, be mindful of the prop when you launch it. With pusher props, it is very easy to slice a hand unless you launch with a side launch. Watch some YouTubes for launching wings. - Thank you for the tip, I will do that.

30% expo is fine. It is quite subjective, and over time you will find what you prefer.

Have fun, and let us know how it goes!

When I reverse the controls, the elevator control motion is correct, but the aileron motion is reversed, so when I change it back, the elevator control motion is reversed, and the aileron motion is correct. How to fix them both?

CappyAmeric

Elite member
When I reverse the controls, the elevator control motion is correct, but the aileron motion is reversed, so when I change it back, the elevator control motion is reversed, and the aileron motion is correct. How to fix them both?
Did you set this up as a wing, in your transmitter? If so, sometimes you have to switch the leads from aileron and elevator on your receiver as well.

Did you set this up as a wing, in your transmitter? If so, sometimes you have to switch the leads from aileron and elevator on your receiver as well.

Did you set this up as a wing, in your transmitter? - Yup, I set it up as elevons
If so, sometimes you have to switch the leads from aileron and elevator on your receiver as well. - I did that and the elevons are moving perfectly! Thank you so much.