Edgewater Air Park (UPDATE)

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
So, I'm just going to add what (admittedly VERY small) knowledge I have of crowdfunding, and it involves discussions that took place around The Oatmeal and Kickstarter.

Several years ago, Matt Inman of The Oatmeal decided to get together with some friends and create a card game that became Exploding Kittens. For anyone who paid attention and bought into this, it was one of the most popular and largest generating Kickstarter campaigns of all time; I believe it ended up generating over 5 million dollars in less than 30 days, and over a million dollars in less than a week.

They launched the campaign in May, and it blew up. Once they realized how crazy popular this project had become, they started contacting other people to see how they were even going to be able to make the quality that they wanted, in the quantities needed, and get them shipped out to people. They ended up contacting Black Box, the company behind another uber successful crowdfunding campaign called Cards Against Humanity, who was rolling out their own game and ramping up successfully. With their help, they ended up getting out the materials in October to customers, and they did an AWESOME job.

They admitted during a San Diego Comic-Con panel that if it weren't for Black Box, they wouldn't have been able to get it going, as they didn't really have an idea of how large a scale this thing was turning into.

I think that's kind of what's happening here - the scale is larger than they were expecting, and some little things didn't go as planned. I'd say to cut them a little slack, and I'm sure they'll get back to where they're supporting the community at large. :)

Flite Risk

Honestly ... I think that would just invite MORE questions that they probably don't have answers to.

This is just my view on the subject, and it's late so forgive the bluntness; I didn't spend money to buy a shirt/hat/coin/etc...I GAVE money to an effort I wanted to support. When something is GIVEN, nothing is expected in return. Is it nice and even awesome that there are some cool "rewards" for those contributions? Sure! But if there are Founders going around asking "when do I get my perks?", you can cordially send them my way and I will kindly help them look up the term "Donation".
I was hoping to wear my founders hat/shirt at FFE18 is all.....

its not like its march first and I am asking.
I don't do the whole farce book thing so im out of the loop if that's where updates are given.

Flite Risk

Its all good, I was just out of the loop. I thought I couldn't be the only one with questions and wanted to offer an idea that might help the on air personalities make best use of their presence at FFE18. There I go volunteering again...... Makattack I think your ides of someone(s) at the store fielding founders questions is a very good if not the best idea.

This has been my first participation in a crowd funding campaign was not sure what to expect.

The combat flights/fights could be very exciting after this thread.......

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I contributed what I could. I may never get to the Airpark. I may not get my perks. Doesn't really matter to me. I contributed because what I have learned from FT needs to be passed on to others.

Ditto on that. I'm not free with funds, but I contribute in other ways, where I can; I've been helping people build FT planes, trying to get people set up with alternative build motors/servos/ESCs from local shops, and this weekend we'll do some chuck gliders from FT at our Mini Maker Faire!

I wish I could come out there to fly, but about the ONLY way I'd be able to pull that off is with a drone or a fixed wing I build on site; driving from CA to Ohio with a car full of planes to fly at the Airpark would take the better part of a week for me, and flying would probably result in anything being destroyed in my luggage on the way out there...Maybe someday I'll make it out to the Airpark, but if I don't, I'm just glad other people will be able to take advantage of it.

Namactual

Elite member
Quick stupid question...

Would there be a way to order more founder swag?
Really I am only concerned with the T-Shirt. I would like to wear it, but I don't see it holding up for very long. I know this would allow people to potentially cheat in regards to perks, but I for one would not mind.

It's not a big deal, I will wear it either way. I am going ot wear mine today. (y) I was just curious if I could order a replacement at a later date is all. Paying for it of course.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I would not be surprised if they put them up for sale at FFO as a way to add to the Edgewater pool of funds and have a reward for people doing so right there in the shirt purchase.

Chuppster

I would not be surprised if they put them up for sale at FFO as a way to add to the Edgewater pool of funds and have a reward for people doing so right there in the shirt purchase.

Selling T-Shirts is a good way to bring in revenue! Everyone wins, too!

CavRecon

I also do not do Facebook, so came here looking for updates after realizing it has been quite awhile since I heard anything. Glad to see things are progressing and in no hurry, but concerned.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
First flying event is this Saturday June 30th noon-9p(ish) at Edgewater Airpark.
Hello Friends!
We are finally able to open up our doors for our first open house! No agenda other than flight, family, and fellowship! June 30th from 12pm to dark. Dianne will have the restaurant open for food along with golf carts able to be rented to explore the grounds and of course fly. For this first time, just electric planes and quads. AMA will be needed to fly. Bring the people you love and the planes you don’t. Also, maybe a chair and sunscreen.
1f642.png
:)

Can’t wait to thank you all personally and to show you the new Home of FliteTest!
Feel free to ask questions and let us know if your coming. Also, we are excited to here your ideas of flying areas and activities.

Thank you everyone!
Josh B

8 hour drive for me, but I am contemplating going. Just need to work on logistics and budgeting and hotel and FFOH is right around the corner too and what to bring and...

hmmm ... could maybe maiden the Flapjack while at EWAP (what will be the initials?)

I am torn. I what to go but it is a lot of effort and money for such a short stay. The wife says do it, so there is at least that obstacle out of the way.

rcbif

I'm only one hour away (two hours if flying "fullscale" sailplanes" in Northern Ohio), so I'll be there!

themistocles3

We are planning on attending early. Then make it home for the local fireworks with friends. Big travel day with the little ones. Hope to meet some of ya there!

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hey guys!

I know Josh and all of us here are SUPER stoked about the open house this weekend(saturday 12pm start time). Gonna be laid back and super fun! open flying, quad race course, restaurant open, community hangin... all of the above ;)

Unfortunately, I will be at a wedding, but most of the crew will be out there at some point throughout the day! Come out and see us and hang, should be a blast! Safe travels and looking forward to hearing about it all! ;)

Also, small update... We got our FOUNDERS HOODIES in today and airplanes perks are shipping out this week and a lot of the other perks with hats, coins, shirts etc. Jen is cranking hard on those and so keep posting pics when yall receive them! ;) . Thanks for your patience and for working with us through this process! More updates coming soon as they come available!

Blessings friends,
Stefan

themistocles3

We just got home from the open house. Great facility. Met Big Josh and a few other from the crew. Josh was big on thanking us but, it's us who owe him a big thanks. I didn't get to say that while there. So I really hope this all works as planned or better.

There is so much potential. Driving around in a golf cart gave us a true appreciation for the scope of this project. We were amazed. The runways(fairways) are massive. People set up under the shade of trees and flew in comfort despite the heat. It was a beautiful day for flying. I had a motor mount failure so my flying was kept short.

The restaurant serves a very good meal for a very fair price. Burgers were spot on. Kids have options too.

As we were leaving a real plane buzzed Edgewater and popped smoke over us. Pretty cool way to leave.

Can't wait to go back!
Chris

Last edited:

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
There was a lot of flying, friends and family at the Open House. It was a fantastic day, the first of many.

_______
Used the cart path to takeoff my Mini Telemaster.
99B395D5-908D-4B3B-9A8D-800C31AF524B.jpeg

7259C1E7-AE4C-48E4-9A7B-26D5184E6D39.jpeg

Lots of beauty around Edgewater.
EF1C1FF2-510D-4391-A52B-A30A94C2354B.jpeg

10175F0B-BCA3-492D-B31B-B8AE42741E61.jpeg

48B29873-E3C0-45F3-B667-305974F1B258.jpeg

Can’t wait to see how this grows!