Edgewater FRIA application status

CappyAmeric

Elite member
To quote the FAA:
"SUMMARY: For noncompliance with the remote identification operating requirements applicable to unmanned aircraft, which occurs on or before March 16, 2024, the FAA will consider all circumstances, in particular, unanticipated issues with the available supply and excessive cost of remote identification broadcast modules and unanticipated delay in the FAA's approval of FAA-recognized identification areas, when exercising its discretion in determining whether to take enforcement action."
Discretionary/Selective enforcement is more bureaucratic nonsense. I know that selective enforcement is the nature of “justice” today but in reality it is the governmental equivalent of “unjust weights and measures” - which means otherwise law abiding citizens are not morally obligated to obey while the “authorities” are using their “discretion” (IOW they are cheating their own rules).

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Or sub 250g
True - and one I forgot to mention.

One other thing to mention with regards to legality:

If you are flying recklessly, EVEN IF YOU HAVE A REMOTE ID OR ARE UNDER 250 GRAMS, you can still be in trouble with the law. We had a yahoo in our club recently that decided that he was going to fly his ME262 model wherever he felt he wanted to. His flights were taking it out over State Route 76 and Interstate 15, because he was mad that he couldn't fly it during our Monday evening training sessions.

We found out he was doing this because the California Highway Patrol came in after seeing "a little green plane" flying over the freeway, and then circling around to come over SR-76, and then back towards our field. He approached our training field area rather than where the guy was actually flying from because he didn't see where he was flying from, he just saw our pits area. By the time we were able to identify where he was flying from, he'd packed up and was heading out the gate, leaving us to deal with the aftermath of a somewhat irate patrol officer.

We later identified who it was, and he's since been written up per our club bylaws; but he was flying erratically and it nearly cost us our flying site because the CHP notified the property owner, who only allowed us to keep flying because we'd let him know we were taking action to prevent it from happening again.

So - if you think you're going to fly in the face of government, and ignore the rules, that's up to you. But, don't fly stupid and attract unwanted attention. Or, as a friend of mine likes to say, "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes," a more polite way of saying FAFO.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
We found out he was doing this because the California Highway Patrol came in after seeing "a little green plane" flying over the freeway, and then circling around to come over SR-76, and then back towards our field. He approached our training field area rather than where the guy was actually flying from because he didn't see where he was flying from, he just saw our pits area. By the time we were able to identify where he was flying from, he'd packed up and was heading out the gate, leaving us to deal with the aftermath of a somewhat irate patrol officer.
Wasn't there, sounds very like a rebel being reckless - however, it depends on the CBO rules he was expected to operate under as well as local regulations. The FAA circular no longer has a hard and fast rule about transition over roads/people etc. It is recommended only.

So what might be "reckless" at one CBO and hence against the rules, at another it may not be, and thus not "illegal".

From FPVFC's safety guidelines:

Operations Over People:
Flying over people is not explicitly prohibited under 44809, and the FAA AC 91-57C encourages CBO Safety Guidelines to include restrictions on operations over people. Flying over people could be dangerous and could be considered reckless. Either of those aspects could result in a local or federal municipality fining the operator or confiscating the aircraft. For these reasons, FPVFC recommends not flying over people.​

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Wasn't there, sounds very like a rebel being reckless - however, it depends on the CBO rules he was expected to operate under as well as local regulations. The FAA circular no longer has a hard and fast rule about transition over roads/people etc. It is recommended only.

So what might be "reckless" at one CBO and hence against the rules, at another it may not be, and thus not "illegal".

From FPVFC's safety guidelines:

Operations Over People:
Flying over people is not explicitly prohibited under 44809, and the FAA AC 91-57C encourages CBO Safety Guidelines to include restrictions on operations over people. Flying over people could be dangerous and could be considered reckless. Either of those aspects could result in a local or federal municipality fining the operator or confiscating the aircraft. For these reasons, FPVFC recommends not flying over people.​
Regardless of whether the *FAA* thinks it's illegal, and whether the CBO thinks it's illegal, we get down to where the FPVFC states, "Either of those aspects could result in a local or federal municipality fining the operator or confiscating the aircraft."

That is a big part. That is what the CHP officer came to us about, because this guy was doing what he wanted to, and it was causing people to slow down and figure out what that object was. It was a distraction on the roadways, and it was causing traffic problems, and the CHP officer deemed that it warranted some form of punishment - provided he could have located the person causing the problems. This gets back to my original statement in my earlier post, "Don't fly stupid and attract unwanted attention."

tomlogan1

Elite member
Just a question, if I only need 1 RID to fly at a non FRIA, does the FAA really believe I will remove the device from one plane so I can fly a different plane? Oh, wait, It's the Government, my bad.

SigFan

At this point I'd say screw the Remote ID regs and see how serious they are about enforcement. If a law is unjust and unsustainable in my opinion it doesn't exist.

Since it looks like you have your full scale pilot cert. I wouldn't mess around with this. They have already suspended a drone pilots full scale pilot cert for flying a drone and not following the rules.

As for the OPs question, I have seen 3 FTCA FRIAs pop up in my state so far, so looks like they are getting approved as long as they follow the guidelines.