Edgewater FRIA application status

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Alright guys, it's time to dial the discussion back to civil and reasoned posts. This is starting to get way to personal. This forum is not the place for name calling, disparagement or the questioning of intelligence or motives - there are plenty of other places for that. If anything here is making you angry take a deep breath and count to 10.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Alright guys, it's time to dial the discussion back to civil and reasoned posts. This is starting to get way to personal. This forum is not the place for name calling, disparagement or the questioning of intelligence or motives - there are plenty of other places for that. If anything here is making you angry take a deep breath and count to 10.

ScottSteward

Not sure if you know this, but Flite Test leadership do not manage this forum, and rarely, if ever, are they here. If you want to send an apology to Josh, I suggest you do it dirdirectly

I did. Josh and I are FB friends. Have been for quite some many years.

I sent my message on messenger. I also welcomed a phone call where I would hear him all the way out (not argue). I would actually LIKE to hear his reasoning for the approach he has chosen to take. I would sit silent and listen until he was completely finished.

No response. It's the first time I haven't gotten a response from him. My offer still stands. But the longer I wait, the more disillusioned I become with FTCA. I would THINK Josh would want to save a many year supporter.

Last edited:

ScottSteward

Alright guys, it's time to dial the discussion back to civil and reasoned posts. This is starting to get way to personal. This forum is not the place for name calling, disparagement or the questioning of intelligence or motives - there are plenty of other places for that. If anything here is making you angry take a deep breath and counsupported.
Fair enough

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I did email the AMA with Bruce's question regarding insurance. Here is their response.
@ScottSteward , you were correct about the AMA insurance.

Good morning,

Thank you for your inquiry in regards to your insurance benefits. AMA membership benefits are not contingent upon remote ID or flying at a FRIA.

Have a great rest of your week,

Gerri

Gerri Fisher | Programs Coordinator
[ATTACH type="full" alt="Circle

Description automatically generated"]240021[/ATTACH]

Academy of Model Aeronautics
(800) 435-9262 ext. 256

Attachments

• 1694705084720.png
    1694705084720.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I did email the AMA with Bruce's question regarding insurance. Here is their response.
@ScottSteward , you were correct.

Good morning,

Thank you for your inquiry in regards to your insurance benefits. AMA membership benefits are not contingent upon remote ID or flying at a FRIA.

Gerri

(800) 435-9262 ext. 256
Thanks, Merv

LitterBug

Techno Nut
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! "No FRIA is needed ever".....AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! So now FT has you talking like their R.I.D. module is their saving grace....AHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!

Enjoy dumping your money on them. I'm going to enjoy the MULTIPLE AMA FRIA sites in my area. 🤣
Please share pictures and video! We love to see what others are flying where they fly!

Here's video I shot up at Edgewater which is now a FRIA.

Last edited:

ScottSteward

@ScottSteward , you were correct about the AMA insurance.

Good morning,

Gerri

(800) 435-9262 ext. 256

Of course I was. Who do you think I was getting my own info from? 🙄🤪🙄

In any case, thanks for doing the research. I wish more people would do exactly what you did, rather than make speculations.

Bruce really needs to just be quiet. His youtube channel is like the National Inquirer for RC. You need a tin foil hat to decipher his content.

Last edited:

ScottSteward

Now with ALL of that said, I just want to end this discussion with a point that absolutely cannot be argued by anyone.

"Come On Feel The Noise" by Quiet Riot is absolutely the worst song ever written.

Sorry, but I just heard it on the radio and needed to regurgitate this point somewhere.

(a little levity to lighten the mood. 😉 I may be bull headed, but I'm not a bad guy and usually fun to hang out with, believe it or not. I'm just passionate! And sometimes that gets the best if me).

Boxo53

Folks, I’m glad this topic went as far as it did, differing opnions, high emotions and all. And maybe even a little more understanding of the basic facts. I really feel, at the end of the day we are all more together than apart , given the love of flying.
My suggestion, If I may: step away from the keyboard, give yourself a 2-3 day break from social media and go fly something . I know I’m gonna. 😎

luvmy40

Elite member
Now with ALL of that said, I just want to end this discussion with a point that absolutely cannot be argued by anyone.

"Come On Feel The Noise" by Quiet Riot is absolutely the worst song ever written.

Sorry, but I just heard it on the radio and needed to regurgitate this point somewhere.

(a little levity to lighten the mood. 😉 I may be bull headed, but I'm not a bad guy and usually fun to hang out with, believe it or not. I'm just passionate! And sometimes that gets the best if me).
Cum on Feel the Noize was originally recorded(written?) by Slade from the UK 10 years before QR covered it. Kevin Dubrow hated it too, even though it was one of their most popular songs at the time.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
People on forums unfortunately can't be civil much anymore, it seems. I left a few years ago over transmitter wars. I had said that I liked Spektrum radios, and immediately several monkeys in their cages started getting riled up and flinging poo. It's an opinion, people are allowed them, but if you have to take to nastiness and vitriol, it's not helpful to anyone.

I came back tonight to see if the FTCA had other sites besides Edgewater that had been approved, as I'm curious what the processes would be if I wanted to fly at an FTCA site but I wasn't a paying member for the FTCA. I've also been looking to see if any sites by the FPV Freedom Coalition have been approved, and if I'd need to be a member of theirs in order to fly there. The last one, STEM+C, only has one site cleared per their website, and it's a middle school north of Prescott, AZ.

I think we should all have a Remote ID device of some sort. Not that we HAVE to fly with it, but for those of us who travel with our aircraft. What if you go to a site that has applied for their FRIA but hasn't gotten it yet? There's a good possibility that the field may not let you fly and jeopardize their chances of getting FRIA approval. Or, if you go to a location that really isn't going to get a FRIA because of where they're at, but they can still fly RC there.
Prime example - the Silent Electric Flyers of San Diego. Their field is located in Mission Bay, about 1/2 mi. from San Diego's Lindbergh Field, and about 1000 ft. from Sea World San Diego. Directly to the south of their runway is a very busy street, Sea World Drive; maybe 1/4 mi. east is Interstate 5 freeway. Directly to the north of their runway is Fiesta Island, a popular waterskiing and personal watercraft area. They've been denied their FRIA application, and the club president has said that they realistically think their chances of getting a FRIA is about 10% because of their proximity to public beaches, the amusement park/aquarium, and various busy roadways. They've also had incidents of members flying over Sea World Drive, over boaters on the water, and on occasion going over their altitude limit. Unlike most areas, they are limited to 200' by their flight agreement with the Western Division - Air Traffic Controllers and by their proximity to Lindbergh Field's flight takeoff path; they're actually within Class B airspace and as such are limited.
So, if you want to fly there, you need a Remote ID (well, once they're rolled out and the government starts enforcing it as of March 16, 2024). Sure, it's a possibility that they could be granted a FRIA; however, they realistically know their chances are as good as San Diego's NFL team winning the Super Bowl. Oh, wait, San Diego doesn't have an NFL team! So...Yeah. THAT good. :)

Are there going to be people who are going to puff up and say they're going to fly without it? Sure. Are there going to be people who actually do it? Sure. Are there going to be people who will do it and not get caught? Yep. But there's also a lot of people who are not going to take that chance, and aren't going to have THEIR flying opportunities crushed because someone wanted to be a dingus and insist on flying illegally, bringing attention to their club/flight area.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
. I had said that I liked Spektrum radios, and immediately several monkeys in their cages started getting riled up and flinging poo. It's an opinion, people are allowed them, but if you have to take to nastiness and vitriol, it's not helpful to anyone.
I'm going to believe you here because your posting history supports this but using this as an example, some people will say "Spectrum is the only radio worth having and if you buy anything else you are an idiot", and get appropriately called out, and then later claim "I only expressed an opinion".
See, what I am trying to say is in matters of taste an opinion is just that and everyone has a right to theirs but in matters of fact there are correct and incorrect. We should always be as kind as the situation allows but when someone claims we didn't go to the moon I can't just allow that as "their opinion".
And yes, there is always someone being objectively incorrect on the interwebs and I have to know I can't fix it all. I've gotten better over the years. :cool:

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Hey! I use my Spektrum gear in my yet to be denied FRIA with my RID so the FAA, FBI, APD, ISP, NSA and CIA can be sure I'm complying with the postponed regulations. 🙉🙈🙊
Poo~flinging coming… the RID regulation isn’t postponed, they have simply said the MIGHT not prosecute violations until April.

IOW, the FAA is doing some serious lawyeresque poo~flinging.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
the RID regulation isn’t postponed, they have simply said the MIGHT not prosecute violations until April.
To quote the FAA:
"SUMMARY: For noncompliance with the remote identification operating requirements applicable to unmanned aircraft, which occurs on or before March 16, 2024, the FAA will consider all circumstances, in particular, unanticipated issues with the available supply and excessive cost of remote identification broadcast modules and unanticipated delay in the FAA's approval of FAA-recognized identification areas, when exercising its discretion in determining whether to take enforcement action."

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I'm going to believe you here because your posting history supports this but using this as an example, some people will say "Spectrum is the only radio worth having and if you buy anything else you are an idiot", and get appropriately called out, and then later claim "I only expressed an opinion".
See, what I am trying to say is in matters of taste an opinion is just that and everyone has a right to theirs but in matters of fact there are correct and incorrect. We should always be as kind as the situation allows but when someone claims we didn't go to the moon I can't just allow that as "their opinion".
And yes, there is always someone being objectively incorrect on the interwebs and I have to know I can't fix it all. I've gotten better over the years. :cool:
Fully agreed on matters of FACT, like "The earth is round" and "man went to the moon."

And we can interchange ANY brand of radio in your statement, "Spektrum is the only radio worth having and if you buy anything else you are an idiot." It could be Radiomaster, or Frsky, or Futaba, or Jeti, or FlySky, or Mikado, or JR Radio, or any other brand of transmitters - people here HAVE made these statements. My comment about monkeys flinging poo was not directed at you, @Flying Monkey fab - it was at the people who get so bent out of shape here on "you're stupid if you spend more on XYZ radios instead of this brand" and berate you for your opinions.

Now, opinions on what do do about Remote ID? Well, they're opinions. But if you want to be LEGAL, your options are to fly at a FRIA or fly with Remote ID.