Electric, Nitro, Diesel, Petrol, Balsa, Foam, plastic or Ply - Whats your likes and dislikes ?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I grew up with nitro motors. From my first line controlled plane with a cox 049 up to my Ofna 3 hp race motor in my franken truck sitting not 5 feet away from where I sit. One of my fondest memories was waking up Sunday mornings and hearing the nitro boats racing on the small lake in my housing development. Id go up and watch them for most of the day. Thats how I learned to rebuild and tune nitro motors.

Of course this was after already having a few years of small engine building and fixing under my belt from mowing lawns and riding my mini bike everywhere. Still hear that sound of the Tecumseh 5h engine with the two and a half foot aluminum tent pole muffler. Thing sounded like a Harley at idle hehe.. toung toung toungtoung toung

Now days for flying I like the electric stuff just as much since the inception of lipo power and the modern speed controllers and all the power we can pull out of those combos. Love the doppler effect of four screaming props ripping past where I sit to fly.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Not bothered watching any Flite Test videos recently as they have sort of lost there appeal, the giant plane builds have sot of taken over and becoming a bit repetative. But one recent video I did pick up on and found really interesting was fiberglassing a foamboard wing and testing its durability.
Think I might visit that option in the future for some of my bigger builds. Maybe even use a fiberglass and foamboard combination with a nitro power plant ?
Unfortunately I spent 9 years working for Pittsburgh Plate Glass as a delvelopment engineer, where they manufactured fibre glass. Then a further 3 years at Saint Gobain Isover as a Process/Project engineer, again where they manufactured fiberglass. So it sort of lost its appeal being near the stuff. However, as Ive been away from it now for over 10 years I could probably make an exception if I am using it just for my planes.

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
Not bothered watching any Flite Test videos recently as they have sort of lost there appeal, the giant plane builds have sot of taken over and becoming a bit repetative. But one recent video I did pick up on and found really interesting was fiberglassing a foamboard wing and testing its durability.
Think I might visit that option in the future for some of my bigger builds. Maybe even use a fiberglass and foamboard combination with a nitro power plant ?
Unfortunately I spent 9 years working for Pittsburgh Plate Glass as a delvelopment engineer, where they manufactured fibre glass. Then a further 3 years at Saint Gobain Isover as a Process/Project engineer, again where they manufactured fiberglass. So it sort of lost its appeal being near the stuff. However, as Ive been away from it now for over 10 years I could probably make an exception if I am using it just for my planes.
Yeah, flite test has kind of sold
Their soul to advertisers and sponsors. And only do things for clickbait. Even though they can support themselves from the store they still sponsor everything with things nobody needs. It’s disgusting frankly.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Their soul to advertisers and sponsors. And only do things for clickbait. Even though they can support themselves from the store they still sponsor everything with things nobody needs. It’s disgusting frankly.
Sad really they had a good thing going and a lot of support.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
The Simple Stick has been the only decent plane to come out of there in a while, sadly the free plan is not very forthcoming. Guess they are trying to milk the kit for as much money as they can before they release the plan ?

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
I used to have several, but I have a non powered and a night radian. I prefer the powered right now because I do not have a high start but plan to soon. I have more moved in to high wings and jets.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I built a Golberg Electra (based on the gentle lady) back in the 80s with a brushed motor, I still have it but itsnow updated and runs a brushless.
I have an AXN floater from Hobby King love that for throwing around the sky, a Bixler 3 which somone gave me and has had more than its fair share of crashes but still flies great.
My latest buy is a Volantex Phoenix 2 meter V2, which is going to be my 2021 summer plane.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I admire anyone who flys jets and I love watching them fly, but building and flying them is not real my area of interest. I like Warbirds and the 1920s to 1940s style planes, thats probably why I enjoyed building the Sportster so much.

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
I admire anyone who flys jets and I love watching them fly, but building and flying them is not real my area of interest. I like Warbirds and the 1920s to 1940s style planes, thats probably why I enjoyed building the Sportster so much.
I’m in the process of making an alphajet and a 767

JennyC6

Elite member
yeah it's frustrating, doubly so when I know the product they're hawking is objectively bad. War Thunder is one of the worst offenders for pay-2-win microtransaction nonsense(This stuff has all but ruined gaming for me by the by), so is World of Tanks. NordVPN is horrible about infosec and leaks user data on the regular. RAID Shadow Legends is just awful mobile gaming trash. Raycons sound like crap. And then they do asinine nonsense videos like that gender reveal thing(Am I the only one that just simply does not care about the gender of other people's babies?)

If I could make one change to FT it'd be to this nonsense. Let's get back to the wacky contraptions and cool plane designs. Where's that DTFB B-17, C-47 we've been seeing in the background of videos for nearly a year now? Where's the Krazy Koupe 2.0?

As much as I'd love to see FT start venturing into fuel stuff, if I could change just one thing, it'd be this.
My 'endgame', as it were, is a turbine. Prolly an F-86, P-80, ME-262. Other than that, I'm right with you with the added spice of SPA-legal pattern ships. Kaos first and foremost.

I'd kill for a Master Series Kaos. Iono maybe after I terrorize the skies over Edgewater with my balsa Super Kaos they'll see the value in the airframe? Let J-Bix have the sticks see what he thinks.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Is that the FT Alpha Jet the prop n slot one ? from the alpha, bravo & charlie series.
The 767 will be impressive how many hours do you expect it will take to build ?

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
yeah it's frustrating, doubly so when I know the product they're hawking is objectively bad. War Thunder is one of the worst offenders for pay-2-win microtransaction nonsense(This stuff has all but ruined gaming for me by the by), so is World of Tanks. NordVPN is horrible about infosec and leaks user data on the regular. RAID Shadow Legends is just awful mobile gaming trash. Raycons sound like crap. And then they do asinine nonsense videos like that gender reveal thing(Am I the only one that just simply does not care about the gender of other people's babies?)

If I could make one change to FT it'd be to this nonsense. Let's get back to the wacky contraptions and cool plane designs. Where's that DTFB B-17, C-47 we've been seeing in the background of videos for nearly a year now? Where's the Krazy Koupe 2.0?

As much as I'd love to see FT start venturing into fuel stuff, if I could change just one thing, it'd be this.My 'endgame', as it were, is a turbine. Prolly an F-86, P-80, ME-262. Other than that, I'm right with you with the added spice of SPA-legal pattern ships. Kaos first and foremost.

I'd kill for a Master Series Kaos. Iono maybe after I terrorize the skies over Edgewater with my balsa Super Kaos they'll see the value in the airframe? Let J-Bix have the sticks see what he thinks.
It’s just sad really.

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
Is that the FT Alpha Jet the prop n slot one ? from the alpha, bravo & charlie series.
The 767 will be impressive how many hours do you expect it will take to build ?
It’s a 1/5 scale dornier alphajet with twin 90mms and a 1/19 767 with twin 70s. Both run off 6s 6500s. I hope to get these done before my 13th birthday in April.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member

As much as I'd love to see FT start venturing into fuel stuff, if I could change just one thing, it'd be this.My 'endgame', as it were, is a turbine. Prolly an F-86, P-80, ME-262. Other than that, I'm right with you with the added spice of SPA-legal pattern ships. Kaos first and foremost.

I totally agree with you, maybe all the old Flite Test fans should have a whip round and sponser the money grabbing gits to build something useful for a change ?

JennyC6

Elite member
It’s just sad really.
I've got first-hand experience in both War Thunder and WOT. In WOT I got the M4 Sherman. In WoT I have a Tiger, KV-2, couple IS tanks. The grind is atrocious in both games; if you don't by premium you need to turn it into an 80+ hour a week job to get much further than I got. Balance is awful, premium ammo(Yes this is a thing) and premium vehicles(oh god why) are an infuriating fact of life...blah.
I totally agree with you, maybe all the old Flite Test fans should have a whip round and sponser the money grabbing gits to build something useful for a change ?
Like we did with Edgewater itself? I'd be down, especially if we include the obvious message of 'we're sick of the sellout garbage stop alienating your fanbase' right there in the title. TBH it kinda bugs me that I was literally about a month too late to get in on the edgewater crowdfund; I've flown there before it's an absolute paradise. Well worth the 11 hour drive for me to get up there.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I feel inspired to build a scale Piper cub out of balsa with a four stroke as a power plant, but that inspiration will probably wear off by morning. Instead it will probably end up building a foamboard and fiberglass mash up replica with a 2 stroke nitro, sadly a couple of years to build a model these days feels like a long time now at my age.