Electric, Nitro, Diesel, Petrol, Balsa, Foam, plastic or Ply - Whats your likes and dislikes ?

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
Having watched the reviews it came out well as a thermal soarer, and when the price dropped to £93 for a PNP with free delivery I couldn't resist.
It’s that cheap? That might be next. But I think a 2 meter cub or jet is better, or to add to my gas masks.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I only had 6 mass produced planes that I wanted to buy.
The Hobby King AXN floater - got one
The Volantex Trainstar Ascent - got one
The WOT trainer - got one
The Volantex Phoenix V2 - got one
The Hobby King Grande Tundra - Not got around to getting one yet :sneaky:(y)

JennyC6

Elite member
I normally paint with acrylic paint and varnish with a polyeurothane varnish, makes my models waterproof but not sure about fuel proof ?
may be worth making a couple of 3" sheets and testing them with nitro ?
It's something with the Rustoleum paint itself acting as a sealing agent keeping the schmoo from causing problems. You can make a test panel with your acrylics to see what they do as well.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I made completely innocent comments, everyone else escalated it.
1606527773190.png

Dont know what the issue is I have a portrait of mine up at home ;)

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
It's something with the Rustoleum paint itself acting as a sealing agent keeping the schmoo from causing problems. You can make a test panel with your acrylics to see what they do as well.
Rustoleum paint is very good but a bit pricey over here, as is enamel paint. Thats why I brush acrylic paint on and varnish

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Following the post earlier from JennyC6, I looked up Saito FA 50 engines. Your looking around the £280 GBP range for one to fit a 30 plane ? Thats approx $374 USD. I can buy an electric motor to give me an equivelent wattage in power for £50. I know there is no realism, authentic noise or smell from an electric motor. But if your on a tight budget or a youngster just starting off in the hobby thats way out of therer price range.
All this talk of real engines I was almost tempted to buy one myself, untill I saw the price. I am pretty sure petrol engines are even more expensive, I didnt look. Maybe this is why nitro engines started to fall out of favour and electric flights become so popular ? Its sad really they have probably priced themselves out of the market for a lot of people. The second hand nitro market is still doing well in the UK, probably because its an affordable means of owning a fuel based engine.

As JennyC6 said I never buy new engines now and in all I've only bought a couple in my entire life, those two being a pair of ridiculously expensive (and ridiculously loud!) Dub Jett 40's to race in Quickie 500. You can get some insane deals on used engines in places like RCGroups and at swap meets. Don't use ebay, people there want to make money and people elsewhere generally just want stuff out of their sight. The Saito 91 currently stuck on my senior kadet I got for 95 bucks at a swap meet and I've probably put significantly more than 95 bucks worth of fuel through it by this point. My favorite thing ever is when old codgers who haven't flown in decades pull all their engines back out and put them up for sale for really low prices because the castor oil has polymerized either sticking the engine solid or wreaking havoc on the bearings. A little heat and MMO is all it takes to get them going again...

A lot of engines are simply no longer manufactured so getting them second hand is really the only option. Most multi-cylinder engines are discontinued now. Saito I know makes none now excluding gasoline and huge radials. OS only has the FT-160 and maybe the FF 320. A real shame because the smaller twins made by them are really great running engines if they're a bit on the heavy side. I'm on the lookout for a 90TS myself, for a Cub...

JennyC6

Elite member
I'm on the lookout for a 90TS myself, for a Cub...

Mine's bolted to the front of an H9 Valiant 10cc. I had initially planned to whack it onto the front of a SIG 4*64 ARF but that got backordered so long I just gave up and slapped it onto the Valiant.......and then no more than a week after committing it to that ship the 4*64 shows up. Go figure. Ended up with an FS70 Surpass on the 4*64.

I will say mine doesn't run quite right though. IT acts like it's struggling for fuel. You'd think a 90 4c and a 45 2c would have similar fuel demands...4-cycle fires every other stroke but displaces twice as much so it gulps roughly twice the fuel each time it does suck in a charge...and the fuel system I have it hooked to fed an OS 46AX without issue, but it genuinely does act like it simply can't get enough fuel. When it does get the fuel it wants it runs AMAZINGLY but it struggles for the stuff. HSN really doesn't do anything and once it gets over about 3/4 throttle, over about 7,000RPM it just falls on its face.

Can even see it in that video to an extent.

Last edited:

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Ah lucky you. What did you pay for it? The only ones I've seen on Ebay and RCG go for north of 500. Tempted to put in a wanted ad on the latter though...

I know a guy who has one on an old Great Planes cub ARF. He had the same problem actually but in his case he thought it was because the tank was mounted lower than the carb because it would get REALLY lean at low fuel levels. Weirdly even when the tank was shimmed up it kept doing it. For some reason putting a pump on it made it much happier... even though it shouldn't have mattered with the tank raised. I thought it might be because of the pressure effect that equal length headers solve in an exhaust system, just working in reverse... maybe the suction pulses interacting with each other, though since they happen for less than half the revolution every other revolution I don't think that does it. The Saito twin carb twins don't do it so it must have something to do with having two cylinders go to one carb, but I'm no fluid dynamicist so I really have no idea.

JennyC6

Elite member
Ah lucky you. What did you pay for it? The only ones I've seen on Ebay and RCG go for north of 500. Tempted to put in a wanted ad on the latter though...

I know a guy who has one on an old Great Planes cub ARF. He had the same problem actually but in his case he thought it was because the tank was mounted lower than the carb because it would get REALLY lean at low fuel levels. Weirdly even when the tank was shimmed up it kept doing it. For some reason putting a pump on it made it much happier... even though it shouldn't have mattered with the tank raised. I thought it might be because of the pressure effect that equal length headers solve in an exhaust system, just working in reverse... maybe the suction pulses interacting with each other, though since they happen for less than half the revolution every other revolution I don't think that does it. The Saito twin carb twins don't do it so it must have something to do with having two cylinders go to one carb, but I'm no fluid dynamicist so I really have no idea.
I paid right at 500 for mine. I knew they were big money so, even as much of a spend as that was, I wasn't too bothered by it. The OS twins go for 750-1250 on the regular. The Magnum clones thereof tend to go pretty cheap though, and if my 52 4c's are anything to go by the clones are just as good. Magnum/AP/ASP.

I put some large tubing on mine from the tank to the engine, will see what that does. If it doesn't help I'll look into a pump. I actually have STL files for a micro centrifugal fluid pump that I could use if printed in PETg; need to get my printer reliable first. Uses N20 motors.

You may be ointo somethign with the exhaust pulses, but not the right something. On mine the pressure nipple only gets a signal from one cylinder, so one cylinder has pressurized fuel head and one is relying on innate fuel draw. atop that the pressure nipple is clear down at the tip, not up next to the cylinder where it might be more effective. Neither exhaust is connected to the other in a way that would let one tube scavenge the opposing cylinder or anything like that.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I paid right at 500 for mine. I knew they were big money so, even as much of a spend as that was, I wasn't too bothered by it. The OS twins go for 750-1250 on the regular. The Magnum clones thereof tend to go pretty cheap though, and if my 52 4c's are anything to go by the clones are just as good. Magnum/AP/ASP.

I put some large tubing on mine from the tank to the engine, will see what that does. If it doesn't help I'll look into a pump. I actually have STL files for a micro centrifugal fluid pump that I could use if printed in PETg; need to get my printer reliable first. Uses N20 motors.

You may be ointo somethign with the exhaust pulses, but not the right something. On mine the pressure nipple only gets a signal from one cylinder, so one cylinder has pressurized fuel head and one is relying on innate fuel draw. atop that the pressure nipple is clear down at the tip, not up next to the cylinder where it might be more effective. Neither exhaust is connected to the other in a way that would let one tube scavenge the opposing cylinder or anything like that.

I was thinking the pressure problems would be happening in the intake manifolds, not the exhausts. When you have open exhaust headers, none of that really matters exhaust wise. If I ever get one I'd also want a Keleo exhaust along with it. Just so I don't have to clean oil off both sides of the plane instead of just one :p Problem is the 90TS exhausts have been discontinued longer than the 90TS itself. Keleo only makes stuff for radials now.

I actually once tried to repurpose an old Sonictronics fuel pump that had been broken for ages to work as a fuel pump. I just took the little vane pump out and connected it to a geared inrunner motor. Though I couldn't really find a way to drive it that wouldn't cause the engine mixture to change all the time. I tried tying the pump motor speed control into the engine throttle which kind of worked but it necessitated a really complicated throttle curve and even then it still didn't work perfectly. I really like using Iron Bay or Cline regulators as they basically do the same thing, just using higher tank pressure instead of a physical pump. Plus the engine will always run exactly the same regardless of the location of the tank cuz the regulator only gives it what it asks for. Having an engine that doesn't lean out when you go vertical is a super weird feeling...

Generally the Magnum/ASP clones are pretty good, I've owned and flown a few RFS52's and they're good runners. The twin clones buck that trend though. David Mcintire had his Magnum 160 blow up on the stand! He did another video where he tore it down and it looks like the screws holding the rod cap on sheared off and everything just went to hell from there. It also looks like whatever material the conrods are cast from also is a bit too soft judging by how it banana'd and how egged out the big end is.

JennyC6

Elite member
I was thinking the pressure problems would be happening in the intake manifolds, not the exhausts. When you have open exhaust headers, none of that really matters exhaust wise. If I ever get one I'd also want a Keleo exhaust along with it. Just so I don't have to clean oil off both sides of the plane instead of just one :p Problem is the 90TS exhausts have been discontinued longer than the 90TS itself. Keleo only makes stuff for radials now.

I actually once tried to repurpose an old Sonictronics fuel pump that had been broken for ages to work as a fuel pump. I just took the little vane pump out and connected it to a geared inrunner motor. Though I couldn't really find a way to drive it that wouldn't cause the engine mixture to change all the time. I tried tying the pump motor speed control into the engine throttle which kind of worked but it necessitated a really complicated throttle curve and even then it still didn't work perfectly. I really like using Iron Bay or Cline regulators as they basically do the same thing, just using higher tank pressure instead of a physical pump. Plus the engine will always run exactly the same regardless of the location of the tank cuz the regulator only gives it what it asks for. Having an engine that doesn't lean out when you go vertical is a super weird feeling...

Generally the Magnum/ASP clones are pretty good, I've owned and flown a few RFS52's and they're good runners. The twin clones buck that trend though. David Mcintire had his Magnum 160 blow up on the stand! He did another video where he tore it down and it looks like the screws holding the rod cap on sheared off and everything just went to hell from there. It also looks like whatever material the conrods are cast from also is a bit too soft judging by how it banana'd and how egged out the big end is.

Huh. I'll look into an alternate source of tank pressure for mine. Would let me put a much bigger tank in the plane and put it right on CG. Hour plus flights yespls. Could also use that sorta shenanigans on my Super Kaos.

On exhaust, I'm more of the mind of making my own. I have both of my tips held right next to one another so it's just one trail of schmoo, but still. Be fun to combine them.

Fascinating that the Magnum twins are so asplosion prone. Almost wonder if the OS rods will fit....the only bad habit either of my 52s have is that they're total starter queens. Compression is next to nonexistent on them at hand flipping speeds and you will give yourself a cramp trying to hand start one. But just a kiss of the electric finger and it thrums right to life. Compare that to my FS48, FS26 and FS70 Surpass which will all reliably start with a single backwards flip of the prop.....

JennyC6

Elite member

Yeesh it popped at just 8500 too. That's not excessive at all; IIRC Magnum and OS both say the 160 twin is good to 10k static like the singles are. Also, fascinating little thing of note; the prop freewheeled quite a bit when it siezed; shows how much inertia/flywheel effect is in play.

BoredGuy

I've got first-hand experience in both War Thunder and WOT. In WOT I got the M4 Sherman. In WoT I have a Tiger, KV-2, couple IS tanks. The grind is atrocious in both games; if you don't by premium you need to turn it into an 80+ hour a week job to get much further than I got. Balance is awful, premium ammo(Yes this is a thing) and premium vehicles(oh god why) are an infuriating fact of life...blah.
Like we did with Edgewater itself? I'd be down, especially if we include the obvious message of 'we're sick of the sellout garbage stop alienating your fanbase' right there in the title. TBH it kinda bugs me that I was literally about a month too late to get in on the edgewater crowdfund; I've flown there before it's an absolute paradise. Well worth the 11 hour drive for me to get up there.
Not a wt tanker, but an air guy-doesn’t seem too much of a grind or pay to win in the mid-tier levels where I play

JennyC6

Elite member
Not a wt tanker, but an air guy-doesn’t seem too much of a grind or pay to win in the mid-tier levels where I play
Air's grind is even worse. I gave up on War Thunder entirely back when we still had 20 tiers because of it; got a P-40 and all progress simply stopped cold. And it's compounded by the fact that you end up obliterated in an instant by a tryhard with a premium Yak or Polikaparov or whatever that goes space shuttle status for no good reason and wastes half your team in 30 seconds flat.

Every once in a while when I get back into the tank side I'll poke the air side. It's never gotten any better. Get up there, shot down before I'm able to even think about what enemy plane I'll go after.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
dug out the OS46 today that came out of my WOT trainer
20201128_114010.jpg

Im not taking responsibility for its condition, it was like that when I got it with the plane. I started it once and it did run well actually. I am donating it to a good friend of mine, who will appreciate it more than me. Plus he helped me a couple of month back retrieve my plane from a 30ft oak tree so I sot of owe him one.

JennyC6

Elite member
dug out the OS46 today that came out of my WOT trainer
View attachment 184542
Im not taking responsibility for its condition, it was like that when I got it with the plane. I started it once and it did run well actually. I am donating it to a good friend of mine, who will appreciate it more than me. Plus he helped me a couple of month back retrieve my plane from a 30ft oak tree so I sot of owe him one.
lol I love a good patina. Some of my best flying engines have painted themselves a dull amber color over the yaers and I love it.