ESC help PLEASE!

eneal92

I was down at my local hobby shop and I spotted an eflight 250 2200kv motor and a 10 amp ESC for a fraction of the price I've seen them anywhere else(they told me these would work together well). My plan was to make my own umx carbon cub with ailerons, flaps and everything just like the one horizon sells. But is the little 10 amp ESC not going to be up to the task of running 5 servos? I love building but understanding the electricity part of it all is not easy sometimes.

Thank you!

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
You'd have to check what amp rating of the BEC in the ESC is, if it has one. Otherwise you can just get a stand alone BEC and worry no more.

quorneng

Master member
The UMX Carbon Cub is tiny at 90g (3.10z) all up so if you are really going to build your own version at the same sort of weight the issue is more 'what servos' then than the current capability of the 10A ESC. The 10A ESC BEC will almost certainly be 1A.

ZoomNBoom

Put in a separate bec anyway. They cost next to nothing, and if the ESC overheats or burns out, at least you'll still have control.

quorneng

Master member
eneal92
Fair enough but I would have to say a 9g servo is not really 'tiny' any more.
My 40" Super Cub doesn't have flaps (but then with its 9oz all up weight it really doesn't need them) and uses 3.7g servos driven quite happily from the 1A BEC in the 10A ESC.
If you let the weight rise too far you may find that your motor is not sufficiently powerful.

eneal92

So I went ahead and installed an external BEC but like quorneng suggested the motor isn't sufficient. I've gotten a bigger motor and was wondering if a 10 amp ESC with a 10 amp BEC could handle a 3s lipo? Any help would be much appreciated!

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
The amp rating will not determine operating voltage range. It will depend on what the manufacturer rates the ESC to operate at.

For example... I have a 20amp ESC that easily handles 4 cells all day long but I also have a 50amp ESC that will blow up with 4 cells almost immediately.

Try to find out. If you can't I know the Turnigy plush 10A ESC will easily handle 3S lipos. That is what I run on my FT flyer.

eneal92

Oh ok. The manual says it can handle 2-3 cells. I guess a better question to ask is if an ESC of that range can handle a 350 size motor.

quorneng

Master member
What is the max current rating of your 350 size motor? Is it more than 10A?
It would be advisable to size the ESC to have a max current capacity at least 30% greater than the maximum of the motor.
The reason is that a motor can handle a considerable overload for several seconds without damage. The same degree of over load on an ESC will destroy it almost instantly.
You have to consider the motor and its ESC as a matched pair.
I would guess with a 350 size motor you will need a 20A ESC.

eneal92

I can't find any information on the motor I have. All I have is what's on the motor itself. Its an Ares 350 that's apparently used in the Ares Mustang. Only thing I can find is that in the plane the motor is used in there is a 15 amp ESC. I have used the motor with a 2s lipo on this setup and everything was fine, except not enough power. So would using a 3s increase the risk of it blowing up?