Exploring the Explorer

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I hate to get too much into the politics of it, but I don't support the way ADD/ADHD is over diagnosed these days. I have a step son and his dad was "diagnosed" with it years ago, before it was the popular diagnosis it is now, and if you knew him you'd know he is wired pretty tight. Sure he struggled in school but he's a very successful adult and he's never been medicated.

We have both agreed that, for 99.9% of all little boys with "ADHD", most problems can be solved with a healthy, physically active lifestyle, and a bit of discipline. Very few little boys actually learn well the way we tech kids now days. Longer days, shorter recesses, standardized testing... you name it.

The world being built is no longer made for most boys to have the best chance of success. That does not mean little boys that can't focus in a class, get fidgety, and cause disruptions have some mental disease to be diagnosed and treated with medication.

Sure, my kiddo isn't the best at setting in class, but the list of things he can do is more impressive than most kids: races motocross, ropes calves, shoots rifle, bow, and pistol, hunts, drives tractors and helps on the ranch, drives himself and his brother to the highway to meet the bus for school, and he's 9... but that's just my take on it...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I hate to get too much into the politics of it, but I don't support the way ADD/ADHD is over diagnosed these days. I have a step son and his dad was "diagnosed" with it years ago, before it was the popular diagnosis it is now, and if you knew him you'd know he is wired pretty tight. Sure he struggled in school but he's a very successful adult and he's never been medicated.

We have both agreed that, for 99.9% of all little boys with "ADHD", most problems can be solved with a healthy, physically active lifestyle, and a bit of discipline. Very few little boys actually learn well the way we tech kids now days. Longer days, shorter recesses, standardized testing... you name it.

The world being built is no longer made for most boys to have the best chance of success. That does not mean little boys that can't focus in a class, get fidgety, and cause disruptions have some mental disease to be diagnosed and treated with medication.

Sure, my kiddo isn't the best at setting in class, but the list of things he can do is more impressive than most kids: races motocross, ropes calves, shoots rifle, bow, and pistol, hunts, drives tractors and helps on the ranch, drives himself and his brother to the highway to meet the bus for school, and he's 9... but that's just my take on it...
The woman's kids, two boys, are coming from a physically and mentally abusive father just over a year ago, who himself is bi-polar, seriously depressed, anti-social, and in some ways outright delusional. Because of this the boys have been easily diagnosed as suffering from PTSD and a whole slough of mental side effects like paranoia and OCD just to name a couple. This brings on a bunch of negative behaviors and learning disabilities, it took me ten months to get the one kid to make a habit out of flushing the toilet regularly, something we all have programmed into us is just lost on these guys.

I am of the same history as you might have grown up with and see that everything is over diagnosed to sell more meds to make the fat pharmaceutical cats rich, plus our society loves to point the finger and put acronyms on it. But these kids are a struggle everyday to get them to do the simple stuff, the 14 year old is old enough to get a learners licence to drive a car yet he cant make a habit out of throwing stuff in the garbage or feed the dog. I am here to give them the respectful guidance and discipline but getting through the habitual negative influence they had growing up to this point is the wall we have to climb, one foot up, two feet down. It isn't easy, if these boys were mine from the beginning I wouldn't be having this conversation. But it's the cards that are dealt, no matter what name you want to put on it

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Not to further hijack this thread and send it off into child psychology and parenting, but I feel for you. We all have our roads to travel in life and a lot of the trails can be difficult. No one, not even the most lucky, get through life without at least one speed bump or hill to climb.

My oldest son, who primarily lives with his mother and lives a long way from us, is great at school. He's off the charts intellectually and has read at a college level since the 4th grade. Much like you said, however, its been an incredible struggle to get him to do basic tasks at a daily level around our house. Having these two, nearly polar opposite children in the family together is an interesting experience to say the least. One is treated like a prince because he can get good grades in school but struggles to remember to put socks on before his shoes, or unbuckle his seat belt before getting out of a car, or heaven forbid be expected to complete a chore like take out the trash... the other struggles with school but is already well on his way to being able to manage his own successful, independent, life. High scores and intelligence don't have as much bearing on your chances for success in life as we've been led to believe and I find the systems solution to diagnose and drug anything they don't consider "Normal" to be repulsive.

Years ago, when I graduated Marine Corps boot camp, I watch 400 kids (who, lets face it, were probably "C" students at the very best) take a history test. 100 Questions if I remember correctly, and not simple stuff. Questions that make "C" students get "D's" in history, like, "Who was Alfred. A. Cunningham." (the father of Marine Corps Aviation) "When was Marine Corps Aviation founded?" (22 May, 1912) And out of those 400 kids, with 100 question tests, ONE recruit missed ONE question... Turns out the fear of doing push ups and running till you puke is a powerful motivator! Not that "Marine Corp's" level of discipline is necessary for everyone, but it does at least point out that a lot of boys might learn better in a more physical environment with a little bit more discipline rather than being medicated... but that's just my $0.02...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Not to further hijack this thread and send it off into child psychology and parenting, but I feel for you. We all have our roads to travel in life and a lot of the trails can be difficult. No one, not even the most lucky, get through life without at least one speed bump or hill to climb.

My oldest son, who primarily lives with his mother and lives a long way from us, is great at school. He's off the charts intellectually and has read at a college level since the 4th grade. Much like you said, however, its been an incredible struggle to get him to do basic tasks at a daily level around our house. Having these two, nearly polar opposite children in the family together is an interesting experience to say the least. One is treated like a prince because he can get good grades in school but struggles to remember to put socks on before his shoes, or unbuckle his seat belt before getting out of a car, or heaven forbid be expected to complete a chore like take out the trash... the other struggles with school but is already well on his way to being able to manage his own successful, independent, life. High scores and intelligence don't have as much bearing on your chances for success in life as we've been led to believe and I find the systems solution to diagnose and drug anything they don't consider "Normal" to be repulsive.

Years ago, when I graduated Marine Corps boot camp, I watch 400 kids (who, lets face it, were probably "C" students at the very best) take a history test. 100 Questions if I remember correctly, and not simple stuff. Questions that make "C" students get "D's" in history, like, "Who was Alfred. A. Cunningham." (the father of Marine Corps Aviation) "When was Marine Corps Aviation founded?" (22 May, 1912) And out of those 400 kids, with 100 question tests, ONE recruit missed ONE question... Turns out the fear of doing push ups and running till you puke is a powerful motivator! Not that "Marine Corp's" level of discipline is necessary for everyone, but it does at least point out that a lot of boys might learn better in a more physical environment with a little bit more discipline rather than being medicated... but that's just my $0.02...
It's my thread so you aren't hijacking anything.

But to leave it for the planes I will say I do agree with you, There is a reason why the Marine Corps is programmed this way, is because the dicipline it takes to follow orders, perform missions, and be ready for anything is the result of the training dynamic it has adhered to for over a century, it works. No children don't need Boot Camp regiments and regulations but with proper guidance from the beginning is an asset for sure. Breaking the bad habits of disrespect and consideration are thing that if left unchecked will hurt them later in life. I always say we aren't raising kids, we are raising adults. Training them to function in society is lessons they are not born with, they need to be taught from ground zero. I have the pleasure of starting from ground minus fifteen. The discipline may be tough at times, and trust me I don't like having to give it, but when it is called for, it gets delivered. And there is no negotiations to it. Explaining the reasoning behind it helps, taking away privileges does work to some degree, but it has to be consistent. One of the biggest struggles is to get their bleeding heart mother on board and to stop feeling sorry for them. If it was easy everybody would be doing it.

Thats all I got

Sero

Elite member
I'm not going to get into the ADHD too much. Yes things are often over diagnosed, but for our youngest, meds is what he needs. Our other 2 are older and nothing at all like him, so it's not our parenting style.

Sero

Elite member
All done, painted, programmed and ready for the maiden. Weighing in at 977 grams without the battery. As of right now I'm not using differential thrust, I want to see how it flys without first.
IMG_20200125_134150a.jpg

I don't care for using skewers through the side to hold in the power pods in so I used a nylon bolt in the back and the 2 pegs in the front.
IMG_20200125_134306a.jpg

IMG_20200125_141735s.jpg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

Sero

Elite member
So I had to go over to a family farm, and lo and behold no rain or wind. So I burned up a 2200 3s pack. Just cruised around at half throttle and I got 8.5 minutes out of it, it's also pretty quick at full throttle with the dual C-pack.

It needed very little trim, but where I put the battery strap the cg was a little too far forward.
Stall was very abrupt, I backed off the throttle and tried to maintain a decent glide slope and the wing dropped and it turned into a downward spiral real quick. I tried it a few times, same thing every time. We'll see what happens when I get a better CG, I suspect that will help.

I used 4 elastics to hold the fuse on, but that needs something else as it's fairly wobbly and with the battery in it I feel I may get inconsistent CG. I'm thinking a couple of Velcro straps will work.

Overall I'm fairly happy, it slows down quite nice. I might try flaperons on it to slow it down more, but I feel lightening it up with something like B pack motors would be good. It flew great without differential thrust.

Next time I'll get the GoPro out and film it and/or mount it on the plane

FL_Engineer

Elite member
I'm looking for a slow, stable high wing that will let me put it up and soar a little; do you think a single motor version of the a-tail bronco would work (with the explorer wing and a 2836 1500kv)? Or should I look elsewhere? I was set to make my second plane the spitfire but I think I need something slower that I can cut my teeth on. The scout I build is a great plane but a little quicker (and heavier) than I anticipated.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I'm looking for a slow, stable high wing that will let me put it up and soar a little; do you think a single motor version of the a-tail bronco would work (with the explorer wing and a 2836 1500kv)? Or should I look elsewhere? I was set to make my second plane the spitfire but I think I need something slower that I can cut my teeth on. The scout I build is a great plane but a little quicker (and heavier) than I anticipated.
Yup, the whole explorer/bronco line (especially the explorer) are good sow flyers. The bronco would be a bit more sporty and fast with the aileron wing, but a 3 channel explorer is super slow and floaty.

Sero

Elite member

I think what you described would be a good option. Are you flying 4 channel? If so I would take the Bronco wing and extend it to the desired span. Key to slow flying is reduce wing loading, so more wing surface area and keep it light. There are other things you can do but this is a good start.

FL_Engineer

Elite member
I think what you described would be a good option. Are you flying 4 channel? If so I would take the Bronco wing and extend it to the desired span. Key to slow flying is reduce wing loading, so more wing surface area and keep it light. There are other things you can do but this is a good start.
Yes, I'm sticking with 4 channel; feels more natural to me... I was thinking along this line, just can't decide if I want to sick with the traditional Explorer or go the bronco route.

Sero

Elite member
Yes, I'm sticking with 4 channel; feels more natural to me... I was thinking along this line, just can't decide if I want to sick with the traditional Explorer or go the bronco route.

One of the things I like about the Bronco is that the tail and wing are stronger (IMO), I built and flew an Explorer years back and both of those things are what failed for me and my research showed this was something that it's known for. The spar design of the Bronco is different than the Explorer, but I would still add a bit more strength with a dowel that extends to at least the tail booms of the Bronco