Exploring the Explorer

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I figured since I'm running 2 C-pack motors and extra wing span the plane should be able to handle a couple of DIY bombs filled with 100 grams of flour. So I added a bomb drop release that I designed in Tinker cad. One servo to drop to bombs a different times using a 3 way switch.
Hoping to fly it this weekend.

I'll be putting the GoPro on the plane when I do the drops.

View attachment 160522

View attachment 160523

View attachment 160524

View attachment 160525
That will be epic!!!

Sero

Elite member
I went flying and dropped 4 of these flour bombs. Plane handle them fine, doesn't roll at all when I release 1 at a time. I had one bomb that didn't want to release and I believe I know why, But landing with one bomb was tricky as it sure does throw the plane off in lateral balance at slow flying speeds!
The bombs fall nicely, unfortunately they don't leave as much of a dust cloud as I was hoping, maybe have to add some chalk powder of something lighter in there. I have another idea that i will try in the design of the bomb.

I had the camera on the back of the Bronco, but with it pointing 45 degrees down it didn't catch the impact.

The nice thing is I should be able to re-use the bombs as the only thing damaged is the front cup.
IMG_20200307_153948.jpg

Sero

Elite member
Built another Bronco. Not for me, but a relative who is a grade 8 teacher and introducing an aviation/Flite Test/STEM class. I have been helping in his class but it doesn't look like I will anymore due to coronavirus and possible school closing. His Simple cub was wrecked and he has very little time. I have lots of free time and plenty of planes and I liked how easy the Bronco flies so I felt it would be a good fit.

Currently I didn't program differential thrust as he doesn't use rudder and I haven't figures out throttle cut with diff thrust. I'll have to make more of an effort to figure that out.

IMG_20200316_135444.jpg

Everybody take care out there!

Sero

Elite member
Just an update, I've built 2 Broncos recently as seen in the past few threads, my blue and white A-tail one with the Explorer wing and dual C-packs motors. The orange and white one with the OV tail and dual b-packs for a relative who is fairly new to flying. Previous planes for the relative are the Tiny Trainer and Cub and he really enjoys the Bronco so much more.
Both planes have been getting a lot of flights together and are a blast.

The orange B-pack Bronco is getting an easy 10 min flight time with a 2200 3s battery with regular flying.
The blue C-pack will get 6-7min on a 2200 3s battery, I'd get a bit more time if I was easier on the throttle. For some reason I broke multiple CW props on this one and ran out, but have a ton of CCW props so I switch the rotation of one motor and run 2 CCW props, other than some right yaw trim it flies pretty much the same.

Despite the B-pack Bronco being much lighter than my C-pack Bronco, it handle the gusty wind much better, the difference would be the span from the Explorer wing pushing it around with gusts.

IMG_8762.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8762.jpg
    IMG_8762.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
you guys have built some nice Explorers......
my grankids and I built one but they took it home with them before I could do any testing with wing loading and battery payload

Im about to build project with an Explorer fuse, use a bit larger Armin style wing with carbon fiber spars, carbon fiber tail booms to build a box tail...basically a home built FPV SkyHunter....caddix tarsier 4K video cam on a 2 axis pan & tilt gimbal and 2 other fpv cams run by 3 channel cam switch, 1Watt TBS Unify Pro32 VTX, R9M long range gear, Frsky variometer, Frsky current sensor, Tarrot OSD, and a zohd Kopilot FC with RTH
I have various battery choices, however I have quite a few 5000Mah in 3S & 4S that I would really like to use for maximum flight time this rig is to be used at work to video my livestock on several properties, they are all less then 4 miles away by air but 8-9 miles away from home by road and why I want flight time. I need to circle around the properties checking/counting livestock by video, its going to save me a ton of time, its a FUN way to work and I can write one plane off on my taxes :cool:
I built a versa wing prototype to test this gear out and was thrilled with the equipment, but realize I want a much larger air frame for both battery capacity and better handle the 7-10mph afternoon winds
I have several ESC & Motor choices to make this project work and my first selection to try out for slow fly long range FPV flights is a slow, low KV 3433 840kv Motor that can swing a big enough prop between the tail booms and make enough thrust to carry the scaled up plane and big battery I want to use

I have read a couple guys have run 2-3s 2200 mah in parallel so I dont think I need to scale this project up very much to use the 5000mah batteries I have.
Im thinking a 60" sport style wing slightly increase the chord as compared to the explorer wing should carry the load....the batteries are going to be tight but will fit, I may scale up the fuse 20-30%

I have all the parts and pieces but the darned carbon fiber tubes which means I cant begin the build till I get them and tracking shows them sitting in the same spot for 10 days now....... apparently they are in New York USPS quarantine?

whats the biggest battery you guys have tried in the Explorer?

ThatPolishHotdog

The biggest battery I have run is a 3s 2.2Ah. For me, I shortened the tail and put the servos at the front of the tail boom, and the battery needs to be all the way forward for perfect CG. With all your gear, you might want to go bigger.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
you guys have built some nice Explorers......
my grankids and I built one but they took it home with them before I could do any testing with wing loading and battery payload

Im about to build project with an Explorer fuse, use a bit larger Armin style wing with carbon fiber spars, carbon fiber tail booms to build a box tail...basically a home built FPV SkyHunter....caddix tarsier 4K video cam on a 2 axis pan & tilt gimbal and 2 other fpv cams run by 3 channel cam switch, 1Watt TBS Unify Pro32 VTX, R9M long range gear, Frsky variometer, Frsky current sensor, Tarrot OSD, and a zohd Kopilot FC with RTH
I have various battery choices, however I have quite a few 5000Mah in 3S & 4S that I would really like to use for maximum flight time this rig is to be used at work to video my livestock on several properties, they are all less then 4 miles away by air but 8-9 miles away from home by road and why I want flight time. I need to circle around the properties checking/counting livestock by video, its going to save me a ton of time, its a FUN way to work and I can write one plane off on my taxes :cool:
I built a versa wing prototype to test this gear out and was thrilled with the equipment, but realize I want a much larger air frame for both battery capacity and better handle the 7-10mph afternoon winds
I have several ESC & Motor choices to make this project work and my first selection to try out for slow fly long range FPV flights is a slow, low KV 3433 840kv Motor that can swing a big enough prop between the tail booms and make enough thrust to carry the scaled up plane and big battery I want to use

I have read a couple guys have run 2-3s 2200 mah in parallel so I dont think I need to scale this project up very much to use the 5000mah batteries I have.
Im thinking a 60" sport style wing slightly increase the chord as compared to the explorer wing should carry the load....the batteries are going to be tight but will fit, I may scale up the fuse 20-30%

I have all the parts and pieces but the darned carbon fiber tubes which means I cant begin the build till I get them and tracking shows them sitting in the same spot for 10 days now....... apparently they are in New York USPS quarantine?

whats the biggest battery you guys have tried in the Explorer?
Instead of the Explorer I would say you would like the Bronco better, same plane just a twin instead of a single pusher. Has more authority in the wind and can be just as efficient, will carry a larger battery as well

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
thanks for the input......I looked at the bronco & I like it may build one at some point soon I would like to give differential thrust a go, and have 2 motors and ESC's for a twin project if needed, but maybe the 2 motors will cut flight time? I have only run twins on fast electric race boats so really cant judge myself if it will reduce flight times and ofcourse the Sky Hunter I am kinda replicating is a long time favorite for long range FPV platforms with a single low KV motor & kinda prefere the carbon fiber tail booms, makes for easy disassembly for traveling when necessary with my design I have in mind

but more importantly yesterday I found a video where in the carbon fiber re enforced Armin 60" wing ( that I intend to replace the explorer wing with ) is capable of 7.5 lbs payload.....makes me a happy camper and dont need to scale up anything the stock explorer fuse/pod will accommodate my electronics easily so after seeing this video of the armin wing loading, what I have in mind should work well

my carbon fiber tubes are out of quarantine and will be here tomorrow hootie hoo

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
After a failed attempt at a bronco/versa/simple soarer mashup, I think I'm going to go ahead and build a bronco. I'm going to deck it out with LED lights and make it my night flyer. I'll put tricycle landing gear on it and I'll be using two C pack equivalents I got on sale for $5 apiece.

whackflyer

Master member
After a failed attempt at a bronco/versa/simple soarer mashup, I think I'm going to go ahead and build a bronco. I'm going to deck it out with LED lights and make it my night flyer. I'll put tricycle landing gear on it and I'll be using two C pack equivalents I got on sale for $5 apiece.
Sweet! If you went with a single tail mod on biggish wheels it'd look like a twin Otter!

OliverW

Legendary member
You just gave me the idea to build my explorer as a twin with landing gear... I've got 2 B-packs I could do it with

FL_Engineer

Elite member
It failed? What went wrong? It looked sort of half promising.