F-22 Raptor

House Of Noob

Loved building this plane, had a blast. Absolutely killed it the first toss out. Seems she just wanted to nose over. I went over the plans and site several times and rebuilt the motor mounting three times. Never could figure it out.
While on vacation some time later I found a Dollar store. I use different foam boards which are quite a bit heavier. Thought perhaps this was the issue and bought as much as I could fit in the luggage.

On building the second F22, I finally noted what the problem was.
F22MotorMountIssue03.jpg
In the original build, I put the motor mount system in relative to the wing. What I was going for was zero degree down or up thrust. What I noted in making another (as I was not being extra careful) was that the wing itself has a natural 2.5° angle of incidence if you build to plan. That put the motor I mounted at 2.5° down relative to the airframe center-line. As the motor is behind the center of gravity, the c.g. point acts as a fulcrum for the thrust around a moment arm - and we just drive it into the ground. Which is what happened.

F22MotorMountIssue04.jpg
The hypothetical solution was to remount the motor one more time, this time making sure we were going relative to the airframe. What we built then was about 93-94° relative to the wing. In theory this would cause the thrust to rotate around the center of gravity in the expected manner. So we went out knowing we were going out to crash or fly. We were in theory right or wrong, not a lot of in between we figured.

It was a nice moment being vindicated in this analysis. Not perfect yet, but something to start working with. I will also note that as repaired, it still needed a little up elevator to take-off and fly safely. About 30 seconds later we flew it out of radio range and it glided to a soft crunch which will be our next fix-it project.

Build, Fly, Crash, Repeat.

Last edited:

chadfawcett

Hello

First post here so please bare with me. I recently built this plane and used a motor that I had lying around the house. Going by the specks of the motor it recommended an 8 x 6 prop when running a 2s battery. The closest thing the hobby shop near me had was an 8.25 x 5.5. I used a 2s 500mAh battery I had around the house as well and the plane flew extremely well, vertical at about half a throttle. However, with my battery I only get about 2 minutes of flying out of it.

The motor I have is from Hobby King
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=12916

I was hoping that someone would be able to suggest the best prop and battery setup for this plane. I love flying it so I want longer flight time but I'm new so I don't need too much power. Just enough to go vertical would be nice. I built the 24" model. Any suggestions on battery and prop would be greatly appreciated!

Let me know if you would like any additional info on my setup.

Thanks, Chad

chadfawcett

Hello Colorex and thanks for the reply.

Would you also recommend I use a 3s? If so should I be using a bit smaller of a prop?

Thanks

earthsciteach

Hey, Ninja - what motor/prop/battery are you using on that? I have some cloroplast sitting around with nothing to do. And, I currently only have 3 projects that I started and haven't completed, yet.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hello Colorex and thanks for the reply.

Would you also recommend I use a 3s? If so should I be using a bit smaller of a prop?

Thanks

A 3 cell battery will give you more speed. Honestly, I lack experience to say if you'd get more or less flight time with a 3S over a 2S - but I am sure that what you are looking for is a lower current (amp) draw.

If you do get a 3S then remember to switch the propeller!

earthsciteach

Chad, if you are simply looking for more flight time (sounds like she has plenty of power as-is), you would be better off going with a larger 2s battery. I'm not sure how large you can go with that plane, but 500 mah is definitely small. I'd think it could handle an 850 mah with no problem, maybe even larger?

The 3 cell would give you more flight time if you are sparing on the throttle. If you are like me, you like to use everything its got, so sparingly doesn't happen much!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Hey, Ninja - what motor/prop/battery are you using on that? I have some cloroplast sitting around with nothing to do. And, I currently only have 3 projects that I started and haven't completed, yet.

Hahahaha- yeah- that's what got us started with these. A friend works for a local police department and he goes around pulling down unauthorized postings. The coroplast is free :)

So I have it set up just like an Assassin
fc2812 motor
7x6 apc style prop
25-30 esc
1300mah 3s battery
power hd 1711mg servos (these are hs82mg knock offs, they are awesome)
no carbon or any other reinforcement.

CG goes somewhere in front of the prop slot
Set up for elevon mixing but give it a LOT of throw

I've gotta say I had a lot of fun with this plane and wish I had somebody around to film the maiden.
Drops a lot of altitude in turns, flies inverted but won't loop inverted (probably due to my control setup, wire flex).
This is not a lightweight setup ;)
Tough little plane but not indestructible.

I think I want to do one setup like this with dollar tree foam or fanfold

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Had one. Bought it to teach my son how to fly. Always had problems, never flew well. Put it back together three times. It's now in the bin. Need to get that box into the bin too :)

The happy part of the story is that he bought a used supercub and a dx6i for his second plane. Flies great and he has moved on to combat wings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01FLbvHZvt4

Bobdaeronort

Five Easy Piece F-22 Raptor

In this episode of Flite Test, Josh and Josh Show us the F-22 Raptor! With prop-and-slot, foam construction, and hobbyKing electronics, this Raptor flies amazing! Watch to see more.

[/INDENT][/QUOTE]
Here is a video of my Five Easy Piece F-22 v2 with 3DD fuselage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYGMmyF6Dos
And here is my free PDF plan for it.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?9aut8jp61erf7ba

And Here is a build video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDIqCEhwRVI
Or if you prefer a profile plane here is my Five Easy Piece Profile F-22
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?nwbwh09w2em2amt

Attachments

• F-22 & MiG-29 @3.JPG
    F-22 & MiG-29 @3.JPG
    452.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

chadfawcett

Hey Guys

So after taking your recommendations on bigger battery sizes for longer flight time I put in an order with Hobby King. It is due to arrive any day now but I was getting impatient so I decided to throw a 2200mAh 3S on my plane and see how it did. Well it definitely still had great vertical even with the excess weight and was flying a lot longer than the 500mAh 2S. I was testing out different positions for the battery to try and get a good CG. Well let's just say I will have to make a new airframe when my parts come in from Hobby King.

IMG_0948.jpg
IMG_0947.jpg

I was just wanting to do a quick run to the park to test it out so I didn't bother bringing a hat or sunglasses. Turns out when you fly towards the sun it becomes kinda hard to see. Long story short it hit the ground hard. Glad the electronics all work and all I need is another $2 airframe.

tramsgar

Sorry about your fuse, man, but that crooked nose on your second pic gave me a good long healthy laugh! Really cartoonish. Hope you get it straightened after a good nose job.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Evening guys, first timer here. I'm looking to get out of the bixler style planes and start something new. All my stuff has come with each plane so I doubt it will work since they are not programmable. What are your reccomendations for a good basic radio for me to pick up that I can use to fly something like this? I've been reading all different type of forums and have made myself sick trying to understand what I need to know. I understand the battery and cg for the aircraft, I just have never delt with a programmable radio that can do what I need it to do for this aircraft. So long story short can ya help me, the noob, progress in the R/C flight world?