F-22 Raptor

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
What if the plane I am flying has the ability to fly with a v tail? could I use the electronics from that, like the tx/rx and just get a new speed control, motor/prop and battery? or would it be best to just get a new radio where I can use it for multiple aircraft

MrClean

More then likely you CAN use the parts from your previous plane. If you are going to stay in the hobby long, getting one of the new CHEAP computer radios like the Orange or the 9XR would probably be the way to go.

But the 3 buck mixer is pretty cheap. Don't forget to look for one on Ebay where you might get cheaper shipping.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Ok I got all the foam to build this thing. Bought some 1" foam for the fuselage like josh talked about. Now if I buy the above radio or the one that's a little more expensive, how do I connect the the servos? I mean I get the three channel thing but how do you set the controller up?

MrClean

If you bought the simple HK radio there is a switch on the front that turns on Vtail or elevon mixing, you just slide it to on and then the aileron and Elevator functions are mixed in the transmitter. You will have to hook one servo to each channel and put it on the correct side of the plane. If you hook your servos up and Up gives you up but right gives you left, you need to swap ports. If you get a roll output with elevator, one of your servos is reversed. It will say in the instructions of the radio. On computer radios you go into the setup mode and turn a software switch on that does the same thing. Tis easy. It is better to do it on the radio as most will have more control steps in their programming then an aftermarket mixer might have but many of us wouldn't notice the difference anyways.

MrClean

of the two, I'd hate to be at the field and find out a channel was backward and need to find a computer to fix it, so I'd buy silver.

randelora

If you are going to spend a lot of money on planes in this hobby, I personally would spend more money on a radio. My most expensive plane was close to $400, which is cheap in this hobby. I would be pretty mad if my plane crashed due to second rate electronics. At least spend some money on a DX6i of Futaba equivalent. I know its a lot more money and some people on here will disagree with me, but you have a major manufacturer for support if something goes wrong. Plus the radios will have programming, model match, and memory for multiple models.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Randelora I can't agree more but I just can't dish out that type of money right now for a hobby my boy may not want to stay in. I will but I can deal with the low buck stuff for now. I would love to be able to get into things where I would need the DX61. I just want to make sure my son will want to stay with it. He doesn't live with me so it will only be a "dad and son" thing at my place so we can share something cool.

MrClean

Have you watched xjet's channel on Youtube? Watch all the wonderful fun he and the boys have been having for years with Turnigy 9X's and then tell me that you have to spend another couple hundred dollars on a radio. Guy wants to fly a foamy in the backyard with his kid not kick quizy mfumies butt at the world champions.

Brand loyalty, pfut! Just another phrase for open up wallet, relieve of the green stuff.

MrClean

srry, I get snippy at bedtime. edit that in your heads to something nicer I obviously dont have the talent tonight, srry.

randelora

Wow Mr Clean I didn't mean to catch you when you were tired:) LOL! If he is just flying scratch built foamies to see if his kid is interested I fully concur with a cheap radio.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Its all right. I really would like to get better stuff but the wife would kill me if I started dishing out the green backs on something like that right now. She got a little miffed about the sky hunter I bought. It might be alright for an adult to learn on but I don't think my son will fully understand how to "lightly" push the controls around. With the 22 if it crashes, oh well what am I out, 6 bucks for some foam and hot glue.......... It will give me more time to do hands on stuff with my boy. Either way it gives me an excuse to learn how to fly r/c and hopefully start a father and son thing that will just grow as we get older.

MrClean

all better now, wow what a jerk.
now for a quick breakfast and 8 hours of 'therapy'.

How old is the son again? The F-22 is a pretty easy flyer, it looks cool in the air, but it ain't gentle and if you're worried he won't be easy on the sticks, you won't get any flights out of the plane cuzz he won't and it will be in the dirt.

FT flyer my friend. Not as cool as the F-22 but I remember seeing the first RC plane I ever saw. Thought it was awesome and it was a swizzle stick looking thing.

Bobdaeronort

all better now, wow what a jerk.
now for a quick breakfast and 8 hours of 'therapy'.

How old is the son again? The F-22 is a pretty easy flyer, it looks cool in the air, but it ain't gentle and if you're worried he won't be easy on the sticks, you won't get any flights out of the plane cuzz he won't and it will be in the dirt.

FT flyer my friend. Not as cool as the F-22 but I remember seeing the first RC plane I ever saw. Thought it was awesome and it was a swizzle stick looking thing.

Pardon me butting in but you can buy a Real-Flight basic flight simulator with controller from Amazon for under a hundred and your son can learn to fly and crash in cyberspace all he wants. I learned this way too.even hooked my laptop up to my 50" flat screen to fly too. Believe it's much cheaper. It ain't bad way for Dad to keep his skills up with either.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
He is 12. Like I said if it crashes I'm out 6 bucks of foam. He should be ok. I can't wait to build this with him and fly it. I've got enough to make two so I'm gonna build one before he gets here so we can fly it and then build one together.

randelora

I would probably start him out on an Old Fogey. I'm building a few for my neighbors kids so I don't have to risk teaching them on my nicer planes. You also can put all those different swappable bodies on the power pod as his skill level progresses.

MrClean

12 is a good age. Make the control movements small and it will be, well you're going to stuff it, but it could last a while. Then build an FT flyer or an Old fogey, Decorate the F-22. After the base coat you can put tons of panel lines and detail on for essentially no weight with a fine tip flare pen and a ruler with a backing on it to get it up off the paper so that the ink doesn't bleed under the ruler.

Did you ever consider Control Line?