FAA Approved Remote ID List?

synjin

Elite member
Hey folks, is there an easy to access list of all the modules that have been approved for remote ID? I can’t seem to come up with one easily on the FAA site. I suppose by September going to need one for my various foamboard fixed wing aircraft.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
last I heard, there was 1 or 2 RID modules, built in Europe, have to be purchased and shipped from there. and the price point was not close to the FAA's claimed $50 price point (the first one I saw was closer to $300, but I have seen some claims that the a ~$100 version now exists, but haven't seen it myself).

I haven't been watching to close as my stuff is all sub-250g or really close and will just get rebuilt into something that is by the requirement date (I don't fly enough to have to deal with that mess).

Piotrsko

Master member
Went into a store the other day and there was a shelf full of cheap chinese toy quads for sale, no license or monitoring or reporting electronics required.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
The cheapest ones I have seen so far are add on modules for ArduPilot that run $40-ish.

LB

wrangler90

Hey folks, is there an easy to access list of all the modules that have been approved for remote ID? I can’t seem to come up with one easily on the FAA site. I suppose by September going to need one for my various foamboard fixed wing aircraft.
I believe this is what you are looking for it has (Drone Tag) modules listed along with I assume are all quad copters: https://uasdoc.faa.gov/listDocs

Last edited:

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
The cheapest ones I have seen so far are add on modules for ArduPilot that run $40-ish.

LB
is that FAA approved? IIRC it has to go through some type of approval process to be valid. it doesn't show up on that "approved" list that @wrangler90 linked.

one of the ELRS devs built one in a few hours/a day, but pointed out that it would never get FAA approval because it would be open source (and given the open source status makes it to easy to "modify" meaning it wouldn't likely get approved). IIRC it would have been about $25-30 in parts in single quantities (a ELRS RX with custom firmware on it + a GPS module is all they used).

LitterBug

Techno Nut
There is more than one way to be compliant. These broadcast only modules are a legitimate option when used in conjunction with a flight controller with GPS.

Here is yet another huge problem with the whole remote id thing. Any of these broadcast signals can be spoofed. There is no signed encryption technology preventing that. ADSB for full scale has the exact same issue.

Last edited:

tamuct01

Here is yet another huge problem with the whole remote id thing. Any of these broadcast signals can be spoofed. There is no signed encryption technology preventing that. ADSB for full scale has the exact same issue.
I said the same from day 1. They describe an open system for data to be sent in the clear so as not to lock in any given vendor, etc., but it means that anyone can broadcast whatever they want that follows the protocol. Sure they put in rules about devices not being able to be tampered with, but who is checking? It's likely that ADSB doesn't have many issues because it's a very niche area and the penalties are very steep if they catch you.

For millions of hobby users who are already into electronics and computers, I expect the barrier is very low to spoofing RemoteID data. Take a look at Bruce @ Xjet who used the open format of ADSB to make a homemade ADSB alarm to alert folks at their field of approaching aircraft. That type of device makes 10x more sense for safety than RemoteID, but it was never about safety anyway.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I said the same from day 1. They describe an open system for data to be sent in the clear so as not to lock in any given vendor, etc., but it means that anyone can broadcast whatever they want that follows the protocol. Sure they put in rules about devices not being able to be tampered with, but who is checking? It's likely that ADSB doesn't have many issues because it's a very niche area and the penalties are very steep if they catch you.

For millions of hobby users who are already into electronics and computers, I expect the barrier is very low to spoofing RemoteID data. Take a look at Bruce @ Xjet who used the open format of ADSB to make a homemade ADSB alarm to alert folks at their field of approaching aircraft. That type of device makes 10x more sense for safety than RemoteID, but it was never about safety anyway.
I have been collecting ADSB data for FlightAware for 9 years. Super simple to receive ADSB with an old phone/tablet and a cheap $12 SDR.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I would take a look at Xjets latest video on RID. He points out a module costing around $200. He also points out that the F.A.A. has already been tracking and logging RID flights. HE also shows what the information RID puts out to the general public and its not good. It posts the phone number registered to the device.. anyone care to deal with Karens getting that off the app? Not worried over that how about people using it to track where you live and start stalking you or your children.

craigleach

This is a list of modules from the AMA as of the beginning of June 2023.

Those are not FAA approved, nor does it meet the FAA tamper proof requirements, and I don't think they plan on getting FAA approval. They're from Australia (although the board is made in China) and it is primarily for the European market.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Those are not FAA approved, nor does it meet the FAA tamper proof requirements, and I don't think they plan on getting FAA approval. They're from Australia (although the board is made in China) and it is primarily for the European market.
Tamper proof from an unencrypted clear text protocol. What a joke. Spoofing the protocol is so easy a 2 year old could do it. IEEE a well known engineering organization even says this is a flaw

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Tamper proof from an unencrypted clear text protocol. What a joke. Spoofing the protocol is so easy a 2 year old could do it. IEEE a well known engineering organization even says this is a flaw

The "tamper proof" requirement seems to only be associated with Standard Remote ID - which is what is required to be installed on any UAS post Sept 2022. SRID is will also prohibit takeoff if in a restricted zone and prohibit flight above 400 feet AGL. The purpose of "tamper proof" was to prohibit flying in restricted zones etc. Remote ID modules are not required to prohibit flight, hence the "tamper proof" does not mean it cannot be spoofed or hacked, etc.

Horizon Hobby seems to be ignoring the SRID requirement by using the "they will fly it in a FRIA" loophole. Which means, even the SRID is utter nonsense except for DJI type camera drones.

Remote ID can be spoofed because it is unencrypted. See Joshua Bardwell and xJet's videos on how silly it all is:

You can make a RID spoofing device for less that $7.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
This right here sums it up nicely
As the video shows, Class G airspace should be unrestricted (because that is the definition of Class G) for ALL aircraft - not just manned aircraft and R/C aircraft OF ALL WEIGHTS.

The irony is that RC Air Adventures can fly manned paramotors in Class G with ZERO identification, but a mini R/C paramotor has to have Remote ID.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Just for fun, I checked out the list of FRIAs on the FAA site. Hasn't even been updated since Jan 3 2023

Various data related to UAS can be found here https://udds-faa.opendata.arcgis.com/
Screenshot_20230710-180129.jpg

Last edited: