FAA Approved Remote ID List?

perhapsleiana

Elite member
is remote ID active now? I mainly just throw up a general area LAANC datapoint when I fly in airspace that could become active, and if anyone asks I give them the priority list of "safety of other people, safety of property, safety of self, safety of wildlife, and safety of the plane last" and they don't mind. My city also has a law that hasn't been visited since the 60s making illegal to operate a model airplane in city parks... I fly electric, which didn't exist back then ofc.
Sounds like the risks posed by using RID outweigh the risks of not using it still.

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
is remote ID active now? I mainly just throw up a general area LAANC datapoint when I fly in airspace that could become active, and if anyone asks I give them the priority list of "safety of other people, safety of property, safety of self, safety of wildlife, and safety of the plane last" and they don't mind. My city also has a law that hasn't been visited since the 60s making illegal to operate a model airplane in city parks... I fly electric, which didn't exist back then ofc.
Sounds like the risks posed by using RID outweigh the risks of not using it still.
the FAA Remote ID rule has been in effect for manufacturers since September 2022 and September 2023 for operators and pilots. On March 16, 2024, the deferral of enforcement expired. The deferral was sleeves out of the collective FAA vest in that the FAA exercised judgement on whether or not to enforce RID rules. They do this as a matter of course.
We agree that the benefits of complying with RID outweigh the risks.

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
Did my first flight with my FT EZ ID. I used my 30” wingspan Simple Cubbish (My design, one sheet foam board). Other than the green light was on, no big difference. Since I was just flying around a parking lot I didn’t even open the FT app. The weight and size need to come down, but that’s just my opinion.
The weight needs to come down? How would you recommend we achieve that? Did the FT EZ ID alter the flight characteristics of your aircraft? The FT EZ ID weighs less than a half an ounce.

perhapsleiana

Elite member
We agree that the benefits of complying with RID outweigh the risks.
I was saying the opposite, but only in my case. For most pilots, the risks of RID implementation are not that bad, but unless I put a spoofed phone number, other pilots could get my phone number, which could turn an uncomfortable encounter into a dangerous one for me.
However, spoofed or encrypted personal identifying info over Bluetooth as an option with the FT EZ ID would make it a better option for me and pilots worried about "karens."

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Your personal information is not broadcast via RID. It's only sending a unique identifier, location, speed, altitude, etc....

I could leave my RID plugged in at my house for hours, and do you think my house will suddenly be swarmed and overrun by Karen's???? NO! If you are flying resposibly, you are not going to have issues.

When I plug in and fly/test in my back yard, NOBODY MAGICALLY BECOMES OBSESSED WITH ME! Not even my neighbor or sister who both happen to be named Karen!

LB

Last edited:

perhapsleiana

Elite member
Your personal information is not broadcast via RID. It's only sending a unique identifier, location, speed, altitude, etc....
I re-read this thread more closely, looks like you're right.
Other question: does the FT EZ ID act as a groundspeed indicator? I could use that in my experimental work.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
It does not measure airspeed. It is GPS speed. FYI I have been on this thread since day one. 2 RID modules plugged in. Nobody is stalking me!.

IMG_20240319_124447268.jpg

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I did say groundspeed, right? Anyway, would getting an FT EZ ID module mean I wouldn't need to buy a GPS speedometer?
It's not necissarily gound speed. It will depend on how they do the calculation. The GPS moves between 2 posistions and the distance is calculated based on that. If you add in altitude to the calculation, it could be different. So if you expect to get "GROUND" speed, you must take into account elevation change when climbing a hill for example. If you are turning, the straight line between those points will be shorter than the arc. GPS speed is not an exact interchangeble number for ground speed, but a close representation.

perhapsleiana

Elite member

I could leave my RID plugged in at my house for hours, and do you think my house will suddenly be swarmed and overrun by Karen's???? NO! If you are flying resposibly, you are not going to have issues.

When I plug in and fly/test in my back yard, NOBODY MAGICALLY BECOMES OBSESSED WITH ME! Not even my neighbor or sister who both happen to be named Karen!

LB
I get where you're coming from, and where most pilots come from, but most pilots are men and I am not.
I fly responsibly enough that I could probably get by without even using remote ID. I also fly fixed-wing VLOS with no cameras on board, so most people don't have noise or privacy concerns.
When I fly at a park, people get interested, every time. What I'm mostly worried about is people who show more interest in me than the flying- it happens, and when it does, my guard goes up. It's happened with other pilots before, so the prospect of another pilot showing up next time I fly and scraping my contact info to harass me, despite being a very small risk, is not one I want to take.
Hopefully that explains my concerns a bit better.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I get what you are saying, or at least where you are coming from.

I mostly fly at a private club AMA field which is also a FRIA about a mile from my house. There are times when it is just a better option to test in the back yard, or when the field is a mud-bog and I'd rather fly elsewhere.

FYI of the three RID readers I have tested on my phone, OpenDroneID has a MUCH higher rate of packet reception than Drone Scanner or the Flite Test app. Your results may vary based on what device and OS you are running on.

Cheers!
LitterBug

synjin

Elite member
The weight needs to come down? How would you recommend we achieve that? Did the FT EZ ID alter the flight characteristics of your aircraft? The FT EZ ID weighs less than a half an ounce.
DaveM,

My Simple J-3, inspired by the Mini Scout and similar in size to the Mini Tutor, is small inside. I have the servos and receiver closer to the CG to help with balance. Since it was designed before RID I didn't take that into account when designing. So, not being a chip designer, I don't know how FT EZ ID module can be made smaller.

Really, the flight was more of a test of my new ELRS TX and RX (LOVE the Jumper T-Lite ELRS transmitter!) than the FT EZ ID module. I just put it in there to try it out. I suppose it would have been better to have had the app on at the same time and the FT EZ ID module, but it had been a while since I'd flown and needed to pay attention to the plane.

The FT EZ ID module is easy to use. I just followed Josh's video instructions, no biggie.

I hope to have time to build some bigger planes soon, so the module size won't matter.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
This is really a question for an electrical engineer as to how, but I’d consider a good goal to be no more impact than a 9g servo. So size, weight, (with case) at or under 9g would be great. That said, knowing a fair bit about electronics I know that will be a tough nut to crack due to the FAA dictating they include a GPS module.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
This is really a question for an electrical engineer as to how, but I’d consider a good goal to be no more impact than a 9g servo. So size, weight, (with case) at or under 9g would be great. That said, knowing a fair bit about electronics I know that will be a tough nut to crack due to the FAA dictating they include a GPS module.
The way Drontag did it on the BS was by using a wire antenna rather than the typical ceramic antenna. 4g vs 12g

IMG_20240319_124447268.jpg