FAA Approved Remote ID List?

Linkster

This right here sums it up nicely
This was a good video, and while the guns versus RC aircraft comparison was shocking, it was also comparing apples with oranges.

These kinds of analogies aren't good for persuasion; they play well for a favorable audience.

Now the ultralight versus RC aircraft comparison is apples to apples, as far as an allergies go. Had the video above gone into that analogy after the gun analogy, it would be a much more persuasive piece.

As for me, I know whose fault this all is... quadcopters...not hobbyists or racers, but local neighborhood quadcopter yokels.

And they're going to keep doing it regardless of remote ID, as the video above mentioned...just like criminals keep using guns to murder, in cities where they have the most restrictive gun laws.

Of political philosophical note, RID is an unethical law.

Most of the people affected by RID are actually flying in unrestricted airspace already below 400 ft, not interfering with anyone.

RID isn't a set of regulations meant to help us live together better as a community, like traffic regulations, for instance.

RID is a set of regulations that in effect puts us in a position to all become felonious lawbreakers, and places the government, who is metaphorically supposed to be "US" in the position of monitoring our behavior for correctness.

Which turns us into "subjects" of a tyrant and a citizens of a police state.

Back on topic, there is an RID board by DroneBeacon that will let you turn off the settings that let Karen see your RID data, while still broadcasting RID to the FAA, if the YT vid is to be believed.

I don't think most of us have a problem with reporting our planes position to the FAA, but it's the lack of privacy, that ADB doesn't suffer from (due to lots of AGL from Karen), that most people take issue with.

Sorry for the huge reply...just venting.

Last edited:

Linkster

Here's the video I mentioned is my megarant...

Karen Defeater

I know that FTCA and Drone Alliance are trying to deal with the FAA like responsible adults, while the AMA is just trying to lay low, but a campaign of mockery and derision is usually the best way to attack a govt agency.

Last edited:

CappyAmeric

Elite member
As for me, I know whose fault this all is... quadcopters...not hobbyists or racers, but local neighborhood quadcopter yokels.
That sounds like an AMA talking point. Personally, I have never seen anyone misbehaving with a quad anywhere in my city of over 1 million.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
This was a good video, and while the guns versus RC aircraft comparison was shocking, it was also comparing apples with oranges.

These kinds of analogies aren't good for persuasion; they play well for a favorable audience.
I generally agree with you that the comparison of full size ultralights versus RC aircraft is more on point. The gun comparison does point out the ludiocracy (spell check says that's not a word but it should be) of the "we're gonna make rules because we can" mindset that seems to be behind the FAA's attempt to regulate our toys. Can you imagine if they were given authority to regulate firearms? I mean, after all, the projectiles do fly and are currently causing much more damage than RC planes.

Thomas B

I would take a look at Xjets latest video on RID. He points out a module costing around $200. He also points out that the F.A.A. has already been tracking and logging RID flights. HE also shows what the information RID puts out to the general public and its not good. It posts the phone number registered to the device.. anyone care to deal with Karens getting that off the app? Not worried over that how about people using it to track where you live and start stalking you or your children.

Lots of misinformation flying around about RID.

RID does NOT transmit your phone number.

Here is what is transmitted. Scroll down about 60% of the page.

The only thing thing attached to you that is broadcast is the serial number of your remote ID unit. No other personal info is transmitted.

Only law enforcement is allowed access to the FAA database with your personal information.

This whole situation is annoying enough without adding in stuff that is simply not true.

Thomas B

That sounds like an AMA talking point. Personally, I have never seen anyone misbehaving with a quad anywhere in my city of over 1 million.
Luckily for the FAA, idiots misbehaving with drones in urban areas and elsewhere have posted thousands of you tube videos that show their misbehavior, documenting the reasons which lead to the government making the FAA require RID.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Luckily for the FAA, idiots misbehaving with drones in urban areas and elsewhere have posted thousands of you tube videos that show their misbehavior, documenting the reasons which lead to the government making the FAA require RID.
AMA thinks that is what it is all about. It is about FAA power. Period.

I’ve canceled my AMA membership over how they have kowtowed to the FAA and not fought for anyone except their own AMA fields. Good luck with that. The FedMonster is coming for AMA too.

craigleach

AMA thinks that is what it is all about. It is about FAA power. Period.

I’ve canceled my AMA membership over how they have kowtowed to the FAA and not fought for anyone except their own AMA fields. Good luck with that. The FedMonster is coming for AMA too.
The AMA worked to protect their members and their flying sites and were successful. Why should the AMA work for rules outside of their model? In my view, the AMA was successful in protecting the hobby as is at AMA flying sites.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
The AMA worked to protect their members and their flying sites and were successful. Why should the AMA work for rules outside of their model? In my view, the AMA was successful in protecting the hobby as is at AMA flying sites.
Many feel as I do. We WERE AMA members. I suspect AMA membership will be greatly reduced next year. As for their “success” that has yet to be seen. Having FedMonster will eat them last isn’t really success.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
"Successful"? Maybe. But not at protecting the hobby. They were successful at protecting their business. But for how long?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I don't blame the AMA for RID. I DO wish they would have made a bigger effort to collaborate with other groups. They are just one organization who happens to have fields close to me, so I fly there. One is a mile from my house

I am also FTCA member #26. I plan to work with them on continuing the hobby and applying for a FRIA or so.

LB

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
really? last I checked there hasn't been any approved FRIAs (which seems to be AMA's end game - memberships via FRIAs)...

I don't see how that is protecting their members (not all AMA members fly exclusively at AMA sites) or the hobby (which is way more then AMA sites).

Captain Video

Good Afternoon Everyone. I am dissappointed by the AMA's limited response to the FAA's heavy handed rules. I jumped on the Drone Tag BS model that had an introductory price of $49 with a limit of three. The delivery has been delayed until mid August. They have included the plastic case for those who jumped early. I could not pass the lower price since they are going to sell them for $89. I will post my thoughts on it once I get them.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
The remote ID deadline is about 6 weeks away. September 16, 2023 is coming on very fast. Just a handful of modules available. FAA is slooow walking FRIA approvals.

Either they will delay the deadline or they will make all of us criminals.