FAA Approved Remote ID List?

theSTOL-er

I was just looking at the pictures of spektrum sky id and the ft ezid and they both have the same chip on them, the big tan square with a metal middle that says "blox" on the top.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I was just looking at the pictures of spektrum sky id and the ft ezid and they both have the same chip on them, the big tan square with a metal middle that says "blox" on the top.
That is a GPS module which every RID must have. There is also an esp32 processor on the bottom of the FT EZ ID.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
That is a GPS module which every RID must have. There is also an esp32 processor on the bottom of the FT EZ ID.
You can easily make a RID spoofer with an esp32 that included Bluetooth 4 and 5. Blanket the sky with false locations of the pilot and/or UAS. It is a non-encrypyted protocol - and could simply use scraped and logged RID module numbers (remember, every time you power up a RID, your RID serial number is openly broadcast). It gives the old neighborhood “Wi-Fi war walking” practice a new target.

Not that I would do such a thing.

So, in essence, the FAA has setup a system that can be easily and very cheaply be used in a way that would be infinitely more disruptive to airspace. Seriously, imagine the 1980’s movie “War Games” but instead of ICBMs being faked, it is tens of thousands of drones.

They had an opportunity to confine us all below 400 AGL in Class G Airspace, knowing we would gladly comply, but instead they created a huge opportunity for malicious attacks. Short sighted and unimaginative.

synjin

Elite member
Is there an STL for an FT EZ ID module? Not that I've been able to fly of late, but it would be nice to get one printed to protect my module.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Gotta love Ken's antics!

Cheers!
LitterBug
I'm not part 107 but I've uploaded some (lots) of flight videos to YouTube. There are a few that have been viewed more than 2 or 3 times and YouTube has inserted some ads so my flights contributed to their business. Am I violating regs by not being part 107??? Hmmm......

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Yeah, I have never earned a cent off yewtoob, but one of my flying spider vids has over 156K views.... Hmmm. I wonder too.

Screenshot_20231101-143748.png

People really like flying spider videos. Who Knew?

Last edited:

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I ordered a Spektrum SkyID when they were on sale. They haven't shipped yet and I asked Horizon Hobby if they had a ship date yet. They answered quickly -

"The FAA has started rethinking this and pushed the have to use out date to march 16 next year.

We are in contact with them trying to make sure what we have made will cover their demands. And until we get their okay we are not going to release them. We hope they tell us soon if what we have created will cover there wishes,

This was supposed to be already released then the FAA put out the statement they were rethinking it all and extending its roll out sorry we hope soon ."

If the FAA changes the specs or does away with rid completely I wonder if they'll reimburse those who tried to comply with their original regs by purchasing an rid before their original deadline? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I ordered a Spektrum SkyID when they were on sale. They haven't shipped yet and I asked Horizon Hobby if they had a ship date yet. They answered quickly -

"The FAA has started rethinking this and pushed the have to use out date to march 16 next year.

We are in contact with them trying to make sure what we have made will cover their demands. And until we get their okay we are not going to release them. We hope they tell us soon if what we have created will cover there wishes,

This was supposed to be already released then the FAA put out the statement they were rethinking it all and extending its roll out sorry we hope soon ."

If the FAA changes the specs or does away with rid completely I wonder if they'll reimburse those who tried to comply with their original regs by purchasing an rid before their original deadline? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Spektrum seems to be a little deceptive on this. If the device has received a letter of compliance, it already meets the FAA requirements. The 2024 date only relates to enforcement, not to regulatory specs.

On the other hand, some manufacturers seem to be doing a wink and nod our direction. "See our letter of compliance - now all you need to be legal is to see the green light on our device." IOW: RID devices don't need to work very well as long as there is an FAA letter of compliance.

As Ken Heron has hilariously shown on his channel - a poorly working RID is a good RID.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Glad to see that this nonsense is going about how I thought it would.

I think spektrum is being smart by not releasing the product yet, letter of compliance or not. If the FAA changes its mind on some of the functions or parameters of how the device operates then anyone who tried to comply and bought the first devices will be either forced to update or replace them.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
The FAA is a massive bureaucracy. They are not “rethinking” RID. It is not high on their priority list right now, which is why they got caught with their pants down at each deadline of the RID and FRIA fiascos.

And no, they are not going to change the specs on RID for at least a few years. They are already moving on to their next big thing to justify their massive budget and very existence. When they start looking forward to their NEXT reauthorization in 5 years, that is when you will see them ramp up a new threat from airborne toys.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Oh, I have no hope of the momentum of a bloated bureaucracy being diverted. The alphabet soup side of our government isn't really here for the benefit of the American people by and large.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Meanwhile, the FAA can't even maintain their own house. They have a massive shortage of flight controllers who are overworked. This is leading to an increase in runway incursions, near misses etc.

Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
General Aviation is inherently dangerous. I lost my own father when he crashed his J3 when I was a boy. I know that some people believe tightening restrictions and making more rules for the will help reduce some of the risks. Having dealt with other alphabet soup agencies, i find the same well intended line of thinking only leads to burdensome rules that are hard for even good, law abiding people to keep up with. Some bureaucrat can make a person who has followed all the laws into a criminal with a wave of a pen. If they spend more time and money going after good people than they do finding real ways to mitigate the risks caused by potential bad actors I can't help but feel like, though the original thought was well intended, the actual plan implemented has very little to do with "bad actors."

Morning rant over 🤪

synjin

Elite member
Did my first flight with my FT EZ ID. I used my 30” wingspan Simple Cubbish (My design, one sheet foam board). Other than the green light was on, no big difference. Since I was just flying around a parking lot I didn’t even open the FT app. The weight and size need to come down, but that’s just my opinion.