FAA official confirms the delay of RID implementation

Tench745

Master member
An FAA official confirmed at a public conference that RID implementation will be delayed.

More details to come

Good news.
Cutting it close; 9 days before the deadline for compliance...

LitterBug

Techno Nut
It would be nice if they would list the approved FRIAs in the location they say they are listed....
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/remote_id/fria
Screenshot_20230908-140603.png

I have been checking the sub link "Where are FRIAs?"for MONTHS and still no list...

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
The title is a bit misleading, the FAA official only promised relief was coming. It's Sept 12, BUT the relief it's not here yet. How long are they going to wait?
What a dog's lunch they have made of this, they can't even decide to delay in a timely manner.

still waiting....

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Bruce make another good point. If the FAA postpones enforcement of RID, will your insurance provider aka AMA, say you are not covered berceuse you were not following the "rules".

...Still waiting...

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I emailed the AMA regarding Bruce's question regarding insurance. Here is their responce.

Good morning,

Thank you for your inquiry in regards to your insurance benefits. AMA membership benefits are not contingent upon remote ID or flying at a FRIA.

Have a great rest of your week,

Gerri

Gerri Fisher | Programs Coordinator
[ATTACH type="full" alt="Circle

Description automatically generated"]240022[/ATTACH]

Academy of Model Aeronautics
(800) 435-9262 ext. 256

Attachments

• 1694705361847.png
    1694705361847.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 0

Tench745

Master member
I emailed the AMA regarding Bruce's question regarding insurance. Here is their responce.

Good morning,

Thank you for your inquiry in regards to your insurance benefits. AMA membership benefits are not contingent upon remote ID or flying at a FRIA.

Gerri

(800) 435-9262 ext. 256
That's interesting... I seem to remember AMA insurance requiring you to follow AMA safety guidelines to apply. Don't those guidelines say something about complying with all applicable FAA regulations?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
That's interesting... I seem to remember AMA insurance requiring you to follow AMA safety guidelines to apply. Don't those guidelines say something about complying with all applicable FAA regulations?
Yes, I believe that is correct. I also think it said something about following FCC regulations.

But the email came straight from AMA headquarters.

ScottSteward

Good morning,

Gerri

(800) 435-9262 ext. 256

Here's my rebuttal to Bruce reasons why you should just ignore him.

ScottSteward

Compliance to R.I.D. is not a breach to AMA safety guidelines. If AMA had their way, this crap wouldn't even exist.

And for the record, the FAA (until recently) always allowed the AMA to have their own rules apart from the FAA. That was all part ot the "special rule for model aviation". For example, there was never a 400' altitude rule in the past. AMA's rule has always been "line of sight".

So, no. FAA regs are NOT written in the AMA safety guidelines.

ScottSteward

Yes, I believe that is correct. I also think it said something about following FCC regulations.

But the email came straight from AMA headquarters

FCC - yes (due ro FPV interest)
FAA - no.

As I said in my previous reply. The FAA always allowed the AMA to have their own rules and regs (until the special rule for model aviation was abolished).

So, no - there is nothing written in the AMA code about adhering to FAA regs.