Faa proposed Transponder rules and how/if they change what we do as hobbyists

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I'm slightly conflicted. In the "Wing" video FT staff appeared in really made them seem in favor of this sort of legislation. Then it seems like maybe not so much anymore? Even if it was just an app to "claim" an area to fly, I don't WANT to claim anything... a lot of the hobby is sharing the hobby. How would "claiming" the area work when you fly with someone? Similarly what happens when someone "claims" the park I want to fly at? Either way, I wish the best of luck to you (FT staff) with FTCA. Trying to get anything done with the federal government has got to be about as fun as subbing your toe in the dark on a broken glass covered bed post then bursting into flames randomly.

While it would be fun to say I will refuse to comply, all it would take is one time to ruin your life. Quite literally. I don't know about the rest of you but a potential fine of tens of thousands of dollars would certainly ruin things for me...That is why I am not going to even joke about it anymore. I have a feeling that not only will this legislation pass and become more restrictive over time, I feel like it would be too easy to tweak it to kill off those precious flying fields so many are still clinging to...I mean how hard would it be? All you have to do is decline an application renewal to continue to be recognized as a sanctioned AMA flying field. Ooops I guess you can try again next year... oh wait... how long can a flying field survive with no renewing memberships? Probably not very long.

Watch the above linked video. They address the part on flying fields. Its not only easy to do its built into the new laws to remove them for ever over a very short time period. the main focus is to remove all RC hobby level flight and leave only part 107 qualified pilots. They also have built in mandates to make self building illegal and possibly not only that but abolish the allowance of non FAA certified parts.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
I just had a weird epiphany. Not just all the things we like to fly but this child's
gui2000fe6.jpg
toy would be illegal off the reservation under this proposal!

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
shouldnt.. That looks like a free flight toy so its not remotely piloted.
That's my point, from the language we can be sure they only want to include piloted and autonomous (computer-controlled) unmanned aircraft but I can not find one place in the 300+ pages that exempts free flight.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You wont as there is no need for it in what they are regulating. You have a better chance at becoming a nun then tossing a free flight craft in the air and hitting a full scale plane. There are no controls so they do not fall under the ruling for a UAS. S meaning system IE radio + FPV + aircraft

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Based on current staffing and funding levels, unless you generate a complaint often, nothing much. When was the last time you heard of someone getting busted for running illegal on the CB band?

Did you read the restructure act for 2018 the FAA has an annual budget of 3.5 BILLION dollars every year out to 2025. they are gonna be serious in the tracking aspect. the big question is if towns will spend their limited resources chasing toys unless you are being a total moron.

The bigger concern for me (IF I had people that actually flew near me) is that someone reports said moron who is not registered, has no location device on their gear where I am flying and nanny ninny decide to report by phone and they go Oh theres only one craft in the air. it MUST be him... Welcome to the newest form of Swatting.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
What is there to prevent someone (totally not me) from continuing to fly the same way in the middle of nowhere?
@PsyBorg beat me to it. Very low risk of being caught/prosecuted, very expensive if you become the one that they make an example of for the rest of the outlaws to see.
In these parts, the county mounties just won't care unless they get a call. The FAA will not be cruising back roads looking for you/them. There are maybe 30 people who work at most FSDO's and an FSDO generally covers a state where the population is low. There is one for all of Alabama, one for Georgia, but three for Florida.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
it MUST be him...
That is my one concern with the phone app system. An encounter with the police that goes something like this.
POLICE: We just had an incident, two weeks ago, you said you were there, in the area.
ME: But officer that was two weeks ago and I was flying over three miles away from your incident.
POLICE: I don't care, prove you did not do it, who else could it have been.

How are we going to prove we did not do it. After we are known drone flyers.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That is my one concern with the phone app system. An encounter with the police that goes something like. We just had an incident, two weeks ago, you said you were there, in the area. But officer that was two weeks ago and I was flying over three miles away from your incident. I don't care prove you did not do it, who else could it have been.

and dont think this is gonna be gramma jane reporting someone. The typical kiddiots with nothing productive to do in their lives will be cranking the system cause they are bored. Hopefully there will be repercussions for that as well other wise the guy you had an arguement for letting his dog crap on your lawn and not picking up after him will be the one calling you in as well.

Which is why I record EVERY flight I do.

M

MCNC

If this is about cleaning up for comercial drone airspace and safety, I wonder when they will come after the dove and duck hunters. Drones can look like birds

Foam Folder

I still have to say this has nothing to do with safety I can't figure out why Gov is doing this, but they definitely want to shut down RC!
I live less than a block from the end of our local airfield. There is a river that crosses our valley within 1/4 mile of both ends of the runway. October, November, and December there are flocks of as many as 200 Canada Geese crossing the airfield. Nobody is worried about this.
Geese at 8lb. have a lot more chance of doing damage to aircraft than a 2lb. drone 3 miles from the airfield.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
That is my one concern with the phone app system. An encounter with the police that goes something like this.
POLICE: We just had an incident, two weeks ago, you said you were there, in the area.
ME: But officer that was two weeks ago and I was flying over three miles away from your incident.
POLICE: I don't care, prove you did not do it, who else could it have been.

How are we going to prove we did not do it. After we are known drone flyers.
ME: Sorry I don't speak with police without my attorney. Do you have a warrant or am I free to go?

NEVER talk to police.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
How many people called the police and FBI when NPR tweeted the text of the Declaration of Independence on July 4 2019???

"That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government "

Gonna end my 'rant' with this:

Last edited:

Captain Video

I will be contacting:
Ohio House Representative
Ohio House District 67
Delaware County, Ohio
Kris Jordan
614-644-6711 ph
614719-6990 fax

Rick Carfagna
District 68
Delaware County Ohio
614-466-1431 ph
614-719-6990 fax

Send faxes too. Stand up for your hobby and be counted. Be thoughtful, be concise, be polite but be firm and tell them your vote counts and we will vote out candidates who won't help their consituants kill this rediculous bill.