Favorite Airplane

Johneames

Hi everyone,

Was just thinking about what my favorite airplane is and what others think........ did not find any threads on it.
In general, after 5 years in RC, my favorite plane tends to be the latest plane I have bought, and have been able to fly.
For me, this would currently be the VTOL that I got from Banggood. Although I have not been able to land it vertically yet, I like that I can get it to roll and loop quite well, and the "different" looks of it.
Note that I have over 50 planes, so have been through quite a few!
I do want to get into 3D more, but don't find I have the right plane or the right skills yet.
I guess a couple of past planes that got on my favorites list was the FliteTest FT Flyer and the Nutball, probably because of their different looks and actions.website builder software allows you to create your own responsive website without having any special technical skills.
I have several "wings", but don't think they got on my favorites list because of their speed - always felt like work to keep up with them.

BEEMANS

NEVER FLY WITHOUT IT
Favorite is hard to nail down I look at my "Hangar" as I do Pizza. Everyone makes a different slice and I like different ones for different reasons. I do however have one plane I take every time I fly & put at least three batteries through it every time. I got this design from somebody at Flite Fest 2016 thought it was something pretty unique until I held it up to a Bonsi it's pretty much the same thing only in foam board. However the really cool part is I put an F pack motor on it and it is as light as a feather compared to the FT Arrow and the Turnigy Bonsai. So it pretty much has an unlimited vertical climb and will cruise around at a 1/4 throttle also it glides really well. It is not a racing wing just a great little wing to bomb around the airfield with also handles wind pretty well too. It will also fit one of the small 25mW FPV cameras like a champ. I call it the FF DART
View attachment FF DART Pg-01.pdf
View attachment FF DART Pg-02.pdf

Last edited:

jaredstrees

I agree, hard to pick just one. The planes that sees the most airtime in my hanger though would probably be the das little stick. Flies like a dream and I take it just about everywhere. Certainly not the prettiest plane, but a great flier. I love the corsairs, but those can be a handful.

Geeto67

Posting Elsewhere
My favorite is the one I have yet to buy or build. It's usually the one I think about building/buying and think about flying when I am not doing either and I am just itching to get it in the air. Currently I am like that about E-flite's UMX Pitts and a ""swappable" Waco Cabin Biplane I want to try making out of foam sheet. I'm almost positive if I get the pitts, I'll fly it half a dozen times, crash it once, and then move on to something else since I consider foam kind of disposable, then maybe fix it a year later and either hang it or fly it till I crash it again. Seems to be the foam life cycle with me.

The plane I have been flying the most lately is my Sig Rascal Electric. It's not my favorite, but it's a workhorse and it keeps flying. This sunday I am using it to teach a neighbor's son basics of flight (he's building a foam ARF cub the same size but hasn't flown yet). It looks pretty in the air, it flies around the pattern easily at 50% throttle, and so far the only breakage I have had was a wheel pant in tall grass which forced me to put the tundra tires it needed on the plane anyway. I flew it with old futaba electrics years ago, then hung it for years in my daughter's bedroom, then the garage for another year, then took it out, fresh battery and new receiver to work with my dx6, and it's been flying every weekend since. It's a heavy airplane, and it throws its weight around the sky, but it's stable even in a decent wind, and I haven't even broken a prop with the couple nose over's it's had on grass landings. It's 3 channel, but still just a really satisfying airplane to see making a low flyby or to practice ground take offs and landings with.

Lancenlink

Personally my favorite aircraft would be my Ft Kraken edf. It isn't an actual edf, its a leaf blower motor that weighs two pounds and has little thrust. Yes you may think that it is severely underpowered and will never fly, Yes, and hopefully no but it is still my favorite plane. The Viggen is pretty cool but not as cool as a giant leaf blower powered kraken.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I have a number of favourite models!

There is my favourite model to look at, to fly in clam conditions, to fly in windy conditions, to land, to racket around the sky, to float on a lazy day, to provide the greatest challenge in keeping it aloft, and the list goes on!

Though I do have one, (FB design), which provided a special thrill long after I gave it away, (to make room in my hangar for my Dynam FW190). It was an early design I made based upon a crashed/failed model. After flying it for over 2 years I stripped it and gave it away. The chap who took it had a bad patch and crashed some expensive planes so he fitted electrics to the FB gift and planned to fly it while he waited for new parts to arrive for his other aircraft.

To cut the story short he followed my setup suggestions and now he loves it. So much so that he asked for a copy of the plans so he can build a new version, (mine had had a hard life). Seeing his joy revived my initial joy and love of the design and the way it flew.

Now, Where did I put the plans?:confused:

Have fun!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Hello John.
I like that question too. I started a thread (All-Star Aircraft) ealier this year on that same note with several responses. I couldn't narrow it down to one, not yet anyway so I have 12 listed as what I want as well as what I have. I need to update it to reflect some changes. Lately I've been in pursuit of my ideal glider. I thought it would be the Excalibut but it lacks in landing speed (too fast for my liking). I also have an Adagio glider which lands so sweetly but it lacks in power, plus I think vtails have a cooler look. Eventually I suppose I'll build something that's a combination of the 2.

Where in the world do you fly anyway? How about a photo of your favorite or some of your planes.

Weclome to the hobby.
—Jim

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I've got several aerial vehicles in my stable - my Conspiracy 220, a MIG-3, a Versa Wing, an Inductrix Pro...But my favorite plane to fly is the Sea Duck.

She's not painted; she's still that WR foam board from the kit. But that plane is the one I get the most smiles from, and the one I hear the most comments about at the field...Every time I put it up in the air, I hear comments from the pits, "Man! That thing just looks like it flies SO easy!" and "Who'd have thought something made out of cardboard could do aerobatics like that?" (I've told them numerous times it's foam board, but they don't see past the brown of the foam board, and so I don't bother anymore)

Between that, and comments of, "You need water to land that sucker!" (I glide it in and touch down every single time on the runway, and slide it along to the pit area; I've put packing tape across the bottom to protect it and that gets chewed up instead of the foam board), it's just so much fun. And to me, a plane that puts smiles on not only my face, but other people at the field? That's the best kind of plane. :)

John Patterson Sr

Tnx JimCR120;
First response to any of my posts.. now I know the've been posted! Fly in the Bootheal of Missouri, I'm goin to use my last FT build for my pic (Simple Cub) that turned out presentable☺. Rest of them are good, but the Cub's hold sum'n near/dear to me. Weather has been poor for flying or decent pic. Looks Iike I got a bum charger in witch my batteries have bad cells, so my P51 (mini) will have to wait. Working out some bugs that are trying my patience. Tnx for the reply. JP

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
My current favorite is a tie between an EPP Cuda from Laines Planes and an EVA Sport from Mountain Models. One for going fast, and one for floating.

DMC RC

DMC RC
It's a little easier for me because I have not been flying for that long but at the moment my favorites are:
Indoor: Hobbyzone sport cub s. the plane I learned to fly on. it flies like a dream indoors. really smooth if you turn off the SAFE system
Outdoor: My FT Super Storch, a performance variation on the FT Storch built to look more like an Aviat Husky or a similar plane. it flies really smooth even at extremely slow speeds. I have mine using the C pack with a 10x6 Carbon Aerostar prop. Im using separate flaps and ailerons with as much flap deflection as I could get.

I Also have a radian but I have yet to really maiden it. :applause:

Sport Cub:
IMG_4777.jpg
Storch:
IMG_6329.jpg

quorneng

Master member
As a designer/builder each plane has some specific characteristic that I have aimed for so all are different, however I do have one that makes me smile every time I fly it. It simply flies so well.
Complete3.JPG
Bags of power and with counter rotating props full throttle can safely be applied in any flight attitude!
It flew perfectly on its maiden 3 years ago and nothing has been altered or even adjusted since - how nice if every plane was like that!

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
As many others have said it's hard to get just one, but the one that sees the most airtime in my hangar is a tie between my mini scout and my ft flyer. But the plane I like flying most os my FT Guinea pig, its just too big for my current field. I really want my mini guinea back, that thing was great as well. Ugh so many good planes I just keep thinking of more.

epiper93

I would have to say anything in the four star series from SIG, or the super sportster from Great Planes. I have multiple 4 Stars from the .20 size with a rim fire. 25 to the 120 with an SK 130 in it. I also have 2 super sportsters 1 electric, 1 glow. Both are great planes

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
My favorite would definitely be the Freewing 80mm F-86 Sabre. It is just an all around good flier, fast or slow, and sounds fantastic in the air. Also is one of the most stable EDFs to land.
IMG_0816.JPG
IMG_6475.JPG