Fellow hot wire foam cutters, please feel free to weigh in.

Taildragger

Legendary member
For a 12", that should work based on what I am using. But keep in mind, electrical knowledge is a big weak spot for me. I went with an AC power unit, because, that was the first thing I saw online. I have a dimmer switch, & with a volt meter I marked the volts in increments of 3 volts for output. For running my 36" 28 gauge wire, it takes about 23v @ around 8a. This also makes for a hot wire to run quick cuts which I find is open to to bad cut errors . I could use less to move more slowly & be more consistent with ensuring the wire doesn't drift off the pattern or if I am not consistent with speed, I find a hot wire can leave deep divots. My 18" bow, as U would guess, take half of that in volts. If U R using and ESC with a servo tester type power supply, try testing different settings even if your first cut goes well on one setting to have comparison to what works out best. For me it was a lot of testing with volts, pull speed and just trying to get the hang of it in general & still learning.
I'm just going to go with windestal's suggestion to hang it on the foam and slowly increase the current until it starts to cut.

Taildragger

Legendary member
How do these look?
Good cut:
1643939071686.png

Bad cut:
1643939139076.png

cyclone3350

Master member
Well done.(y) I think U R going to enjoy doing your next build with it. Warning, U may find this foam cutting addictive. I know that as soon as this Gee Bee is up to the point of covering, I think I am going to cut another wing.

Off-topic jes

Elite member
I’m getting my 140 plans tomorrow! Should have the wings done by next week! I want to post but I don’t know how to🙁😃

FlyingTyger

Elite member
I’m getting my 140 plans tomorrow! Should have the wings done by next week! I want to post but I don’t know how to🙁😃
To start a new thread, go to the forum you want to post in. For your build I would suggest either
Mad (Scratch) Builder's Corner if it is a foam model
or Balsa Builders and Breakers if its a balsa build.
Once your are in that forum, there will be a "Post Thread" button in the top box under the title of the forum.