1/5 scale Gee Bee Model D (From foam to balsa)

cyclone3350

Master member
Wish Me Luck, I'm gonna need it! I'm about to DIY a glass cowl.

Spent the evening working on the patterns for the cowl. I still have a 2" thick nose block to carve out. For the first time, I can say that it is starting to look like a Sportster. The plan is to cut a plug from foam, use the poster board pattern to cut a 1/32" sheet balsa, wrap that around it & glass that. Then glass the nose block & glue it together. The goal is to have this thing ready to cover next weekend.
IMG_5748.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5745.JPG
    IMG_5745.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5746.JPG
    IMG_5746.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 0

Off-topic jes

Elite member
Wish Me Luck, I'm gonna need it! I'm about to DIY a glass cowl.

Spent the evening working on the patterns for the cowl. I still have a 2" thick nose block to carve out. For the first time, I can say that it is starting to look like a Sportster. The plan is to cut a plug from foam, use the poster board pattern to cut a 1/32" sheet balsa, wrap that around it & glass that. Then glass the nose block & glue it together. The goal is to have this thing ready to cover next weekend.
View attachment 220863
You’ll do grate!

cyclone3350

Master member
Well so far the glassing is working out. With the patterns of the front & rear former, I made a foam core. For the sheeting I'm experimenting with 1/32" balsa. I'd figure if I am going to glass it, this should be enough without it being too thick. To do this, I glued the edges of 6" wide balsa to meet the required length. I've also found that it is best to cut the same sheet as the thickness matches perfectly. I took some wax paper & sprayed some 3M 77 on one side & then wrapped it around the foam core. Next , the balsa gets wrapped around that and glued the 2 ends together where it meets @ the bottom centerline. Slid it out ( took some finessing, but with care, got it out ) & did a dry fit to make sure it works. Too tight, so I slit the bottom center & added a 3/32" wide strip to make it wider. Put that over the foam & proceeded to glassing. I like to use these circle blade fabric cutters for cutting the glass cloth. This is 2oz cloth as I intend to make @ least 2 layers. I want this to have some strength, so I will see if BSI 15 min epoxy will work. Thinned it out with rubbing alcohol, brushed it on & squeegee with a credit card as much excess as possible. This sets pretty quick, so I did it in sections mixing smaller amounts as needed. Trimmed & removed after letting it sit for about 3 hours. Looks like it worked & feels like it has some strength to it. Next, I cut 3 pieces of 1" foam to make the nose block. Did some carving & sanding but still need to take it down to make it narrower & more rounded in the front. I used the Haffke plans which is a little wider than scale to better accommodate the radio gear. Even with this, It still doesn't leave much room. I also added 3/4" to the wing chord to better handle the extra weight of the ignition & batt. This definitely classifies it as a stand off vs true scale. Still looks like a D model to me. Another layer of 2oz, maybe 2 more, applied this time with Finish Cure 20 min BSI epoxy should do it. More shaping on the nose block & I think I will see if this can be glassed using Mod Podge Hard Coat and Finish Cure over that for fuel proofing.

IMG_5768.JPG
IMG_5767.JPG
IMG_5766.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5753.JPG
    IMG_5753.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5756.JPG
    IMG_5756.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5757.JPG
    IMG_5757.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5759.JPG
    IMG_5759.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5760.JPG
    IMG_5760.JPG
  • IMG_5761.JPG
    IMG_5761.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5762.JPG
    IMG_5762.JPG
  • IMG_5764.JPG
    IMG_5764.JPG

Off-topic jes

Elite member
I second that I’m not building a GB but you are a huge inspiration to all my builds and your tips are the reason I’m building my fourth scale wings out of foam core because now I know how to do A good spar method thank you very much

cyclone3350

Master member
It's been 6 days & this is all I have? Well, I did lose 4 days going back to the Mayo, so 2 more days on this dang nose block I guess isn't too bad. I wish I saw the video where @wilmracer did his Pitts Challenger out of fiberglass. It would have made this a lot easier. If U haven't seen it. check it out. Anyway, made the form from pink foam & don't ask me why, but I thought scooping out the foam when done was a good idea. I got it to work, but that was a bassackwards way of doing it. Put a total of 3 layers of 2oz cloth on the balsa section & that turned out to the strength & thickness I wanted. For the nose block, 2 layers of 2oz, 1 8oz & finished it with 1 1oz cloth. For the 2oz & 8oz, I put a very LIGHT mist of 3m 77 on the foam to place the cloth & put the corner slits where I needed them. This allowed me to smooth it out flat especially on the overlap slits, & brushing on the epoxy went on without a hitch. I used a poker card for a squeegee & layered each one that way. For the final layer, I used a wide sponge brush as a squeegee leaving some epoxy to fill the weave. Scooped out the foam by cutting squares & and a chisel 'till I got close to the glass part. them I used lacquer thinner to melt out the rest. This risked softening up the epoxy, but as long as I blotted it up quickly, it worked out is all I can say.

IMG_5782.JPG
IMG_5783.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5772.JPG
    IMG_5772.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5777.JPG
    IMG_5777.JPG
  • IMG_5778.JPG
    IMG_5778.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5779.JPG
    IMG_5779.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5763.JPG
    IMG_5763.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5780.JPG
    IMG_5780.JPG

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Looks great! Whatever works, right? Nothing wrong with the lost-foam method (as long as the first part comes out right ;))

Really enjoying this build. VERY nice building.

cyclone3350

Master member
Been dealing with some minor drug side effects so I haven't been able to work on this thing until yesterday. Got the rudder pull pull system set up and the the two elevator servos installed. Tested out the movements & throws & looks like it should work out fine. Now I am trying to work on the bracing wires for the tail & seeing what I can do to make this a little more scale like as well as making it functional for adjusting. Experimenting with Dubro parts & some odds & ends from the jewelry section from Hobby Lobby. Shall see if my idea works.

IMG_5787.JPG
IMG_5789.JPG
IMG_5790.JPG

Off-topic jes

Elite member
Do you guys just think it’s amazing that you can take some wood some sandpaper and a knife with some glue and build a marvel of engineering with your own hands!