Fellow hot wire foam cutters, please feel free to weigh in.

cyclone3350

Master member
Need to `build my hotwire. I found some fiberglassing things at my local hardware. Also need to choose a project.

Oh, that's gonna be a toughie. With the choices that can only be measured in light years, which one to pick? What ever U decide on, I will be looking forward to seeing your build. My $0 .02, Pick from a Golden Age Era.

Bo123

Elite member
Oh, that's gonna be a toughie. With the choices that can only be measured in light years, which one to pick? What ever U decide on, I will be looking forward to seeing your build. My $0 .02, Pick from a Golden Age Era.
I shall take a look.

Bo123

Elite member
OK so I have started my hotwire build.
I I found some hanging wire that wasnt being used, took a single strand, and cut it to length. I then found a power plug that wasnt being used, cut off the end, and stripped both ends. for a quick test, I hooked both ends up to the wire, and the other to a 2 cell battery. the first thing I noticed was that the wire started to glow very brightly. I think the voltage was too much. Does anyone know the right voltage for a hotwire, or is it supposed to glow?

I also started thinking about what plane to make first. I was thinking something like a Cessna 195 would be nice.

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
I I found some hanging wire that wasnt being used, took a single strand, and cut it to length. I then found a power plug that wasnt being used, cut off the end, and stripped both ends. for a quick test, I hooked both ends up to the wire, and the other to a 2 cell battery. the first thing I noticed was that the wire started to glow very brightly. I think the voltage was too much. Does anyone know the right voltage for a hotwire, or is it supposed to glow?

I also started thinking about what plane to make first. I was thinking something like a Cessna 195 would be nice.
i know @Taildragger used a brushed esc and a servo tester then hung it on the foam while turning up voltage

cyclone3350

Master member

A 195 is an excellent choice. For the volts required, it depends on the length, resistance and gauge of the wire. For nichrome 28 gauge, it is about .6 volts per inch. 7.4/.6=12.33". A 12" bow length. U can buy the nichrome 60 28 gauge here https://jacobs-online.biz/nichrome_wire.htm I have also used a heavy guitar E string (.012 dia.) with about the same results.

NM156

I have been cutting EPS and XPS for several years now and wanted to share what has worked for me.

If you are not electrically inclined DO NOT attempt this. The 24V supply requires connecting to mains AC voltage.

I have found that Rene cutting wire works best. I use 27 gauge.
You can find it at https://jacobs-online.biz/rene_wire.htm

The best way to maintain temperature of the wire is through constant current regulation.
I use the variable power supply listed below in constant current mode.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0861LGM15/?tag=lstir-20

It is connected a 24V 10A power supply

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QMLFMRH/?tag=lstir-20

Set the voltage upper limit on the UCTRONICS device to around 16V, and adjust the CURRENT until gravity cuts through the foam.
The display will show the Wattage. (Around 16-18W is normal cutting for my setup depending on the wire length)

NM156 aka Captain Foul

Last edited:

cyclone3350

Master member
Thanks @NM156. I have this set up I built from Jacobs Video tutorial using the 24v 9a transformer. I am controlling the power through a dimmer. Would it be better to use the regulator U listed? I am not very electrically smart and don't know much about it. I built this one from a monkey see and do using the video. As U stated, I wouldn't recommend doing it this way without doing some self education. Fortunately, my hair is still laying flat & didn't burn the house down in the process.

Attachments

• IMG_5444 (1).JPG
    IMG_5444 (1).JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0

NM156

cyclone3350,

LOL.

I have a background in electronics, so it was second nature for me to design it this way. Since your setup works for you, by all means keep using it!

I'm putting this info out there for anyone new that hasn't invested in their current setup.
PXL_20220212_204850145.jpg

cyclone3350

Master member
cyclone3350,

LOL.

I have a background in electronics, so it was second nature for me to design it this way. Since your setup works for you, by all means keep using it!

I'm putting this info out there for anyone new that hasn't invested in their current setup.
View attachment 218770

Thanks for weighing in. I am hoping that this thread ends as a source to go to for foam cutting.

danskis

Master member
I've been wanting to build a foam cutter for years - just never go around to it. I've got a project in mind where I want to cut either wing cores or ribs to put inside a foldover foam core wing to make a symmetrical airfoil. What I know about electricity I can write on my thumbnail. So....realizing that the following look all about the same (to me) which of the below power supplies should I use? thumbnail_IMG_0304.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0305.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0306.jpg

cyclone3350

Master member
For the above no wing half will be longer than 24"

Contact @NM156 & see what he has to offer. My electrical knowledge is not much more than a thumbnail either. Based on my experience, I would say that to cut a 24" wing panel, U would need a 30" bow. That would take about 18v-20v would be my guess. The Pwr+ with the 19.7v probably is the one. As far as setting it up, that I would not be able to tell U.

cyclone3350

Master member
Made good use of the table cutter this past week. I need these very large wing fillets & found this to be a challenge that was done very well with pink foam. I made a pattern of the side view that fitted perfectly to the top airfoil. Once I cut that out, it was rough carved using an X-Acto #26 long blade. Sanded to final shape & sheeted it with 1/16th balsa. Now I am working on the cowling. This is being done with 1/32" balsa which will be glassed. After making some poster board patterns, I dry fitted it & once satisfied, I made a pink foam core. This was then cover in wax paper using 3M-77 spray. I wrapped the cowl around that, glued it where the ends meet @ the bottom of the centerline & sanded that down smooth. This was dry fitted to the plane & the fit was perfect. slid it back over the form & 4oz FG clothed it. I used BSI 15min thinned down with rubbing alcohol. I did this as I wanted some structural strength out this. That is the theory any way. So far it is working as far as the application. The next step is to 1oz cloth with BSI finish cure . Brushing it on & credit card squeegee the excess worked out great. The nose block, also carved from pink foam, should finish this off.
IMG_5748.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5703.JPG
    IMG_5703.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5706.JPG
    IMG_5706.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5708.JPG
    IMG_5708.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5709.JPG
    IMG_5709.JPG
  • IMG_5717.JPG
    IMG_5717.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5753.JPG
    IMG_5753.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5759.JPG
    IMG_5759.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5760.JPG
    IMG_5760.JPG
  • IMG_5762.JPG
    IMG_5762.JPG

Off-topic jes

Elite member
well the way I do it I know you weren’t asking me but I’m gonna answer anyway is when you have a tail surface or ailerons, line the tail surface or aileron with a piece of balsa wood the thickness of the foam and sand it to be flush with the foam it’s just like hinging a Balsawood plane but only strips on the tail surfaces flush with the foam

FlyingTyger

Elite member
well the way I do it I know you weren’t asking me but I’m gonna answer anyway is when you have a tail surface or ailerons, line the tail surface or aileron with a piece of balsa wood the thickness of the foam and sand it to be flush with the foam it’s just like hinging a Balsawood plane but only strips on the tail surfaces flush with the foam

This is the best way I have heard of as well. Some of the old foam Byron Originals kits had you crimp a 2" piece of brass or aluminum tubing onto the ends of a Robart hinge point. Then glue that into the foam. The extra tubing extended the glueing area. I did it this way on my Byron T-34 and it worked. But I can't say I felt very confident with it.