Fellow hot wire foam cutters, please feel free to weigh in.

cyclone3350

Master member
so how do we do hinges on all foam hotwired planes? @cyclone3350

I have been using balsa with either nylon pin hinges or CA hinges for my foam core wings. On the Gee Bee, I removed 3/16" from the aileron cut out in the wing & the same for the leading edge of the aileron. I then cut that pattern out of the balsa & angle sand them before installation. I also mark a true to center for both pieces. this makes sure the hinges line up as perfect of a straight line as possible to avoid warps in the control surface. To get a good angle cut and maintain that straight line, I use tape. In this case, I used 1/16" pinstriping tape on the edge and painters tape along the center line. With this taped to to bench, I run a sanding block until the sand paper starts to touch both ends of the tape in a straight line. I mark the point for the hinges and carefully run an X-acto knife on the center line eyeballing it horizontal to the flying surface as I cut deeper. I start with # 11 and then make a few paces with a # 2. This will work for either CA hinges or pinned hinges. For the nylon plastic hinge, Formula 560 canopy glue holds them in place. Some folks prefer 30min epoxy. I've found either one to be rock solid. If U R using pink foam on a park flyer size, U might get a good hold with out the wood, hinged directly into the foam, but, I wouldn't do that with beaded foam.

Attachments

• IMG_5528.JPG
    IMG_5528.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5580.JPG
    IMG_5580.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5581.JPG
    IMG_5581.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5582.JPG
    IMG_5582.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5585.JPG
    IMG_5585.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5572.JPG
    IMG_5572.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5573.JPG
    IMG_5573.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5568.JPG
    IMG_5568.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 0

cyclone3350

Master member
If this is the rough cut box, I would leave it until the final shape has been hot wired. As long as there is a good glue joint to keep it together for cutting. That Is, I am assuming U R going to put formers on the ends & follow it around with the hot wire. Then U can fill with a light weight spackle like Dap Fast & Final or Hobby Lite filler & sand to finish. If U try to fill it first, it might interfere with the cutting.

Taildragger

Legendary member
If this is the rough cut box, I would leave it until the final shape has been hot wired. As long as there is a good glue joint to keep it together for cutting. That Is, I am assuming U R going to put formers on the ends & follow it around with the hot wire. Then U can fill with a light weight spackle like Dap Fast & Final or Hobby Lite filler & sand to finish. If U try to fill it first, it might interfere with the cutting.
No this is the final shape (nearly) It's looking pretty good for the most part
1648044656734.png

Taildragger

Legendary member
@cyclone3350 on the topic of sealing XPS foam, I've seen that you suggest Modge Podge Hardcoat, but I intend to use the cruiser as a floatplane and I was wondering if that would be a good idea as modege podge is not waterproof

cyclone3350

Master member
@cyclone3350 on the topic of sealing XPS foam, I've seen that you suggest Modge Podge Hardcoat, but I intend to use the cruiser as a floatplane and I was wondering if that would be a good idea as modege podge is not waterproof

I've only began to experiment with MP. I do like it for the protection and the initial quick dry time for handling & sanding. I have found it to allow foam take paints that attack like Krylon. I have tested it with positive results using light fiber glass cloth. If I was going to use it for water ops, I would allow it to cure for @ least 2 weeks ( 4 weeks is MFG recommendation ) & top with a Rust-Oleum or Krylon. Of course there is the tried method of epoxy & fiberglass. It's messy, but U wouldn't have to wait 2-4 weeks for painting. BTW, how is it coming along, the last pics I've seen look very promising.

Taildragger

Legendary member
I've only began to experiment with MP. I do like it for the protection and the initial quick dry time for handling & sanding. I have found it to allow foam take paints that attack like Krylon. I have tested it with positive results using light fiber glass cloth. If I was going to use it for water ops, I would allow it to cure for @ least 2 weeks ( 4 weeks is MFG recommendation ) & top with a Rust-Oleum or Krylon. Of course there is the tried method of epoxy & fiberglass. It's messy, but U wouldn't have to wait 2-4 weeks for painting. BTW, how is it coming along, the last pics I've seen look very promising.
pretty slow but steady. I don't have pics but I have started on the last tail section and cut the feathers out of dtfb
1648501901286.png

currently I'm working out how to attach the wing like the arrows husky for portability and a big hatch
1648501976294.png

Taildragger

Legendary member
amazon had some fast n final on sale so the 16oz was about the same price as 8oz. got that now! Haven't updated the forums in a bit, have been posting my progress on facebook. here's how the pa-12 currently sits with wire landing gear and small wheels
1649127418839.png

Taildragger

Legendary member
yo how long do I wait before I sand it?