Thanks for the inspiration everyone. I built my cutter and shaped my first part. Its not much but its a start. Its the belly pan for 13th squadron F6F. Since its a belly lander I thought this would be a better option than $Tree foam.
hows this one going friend?I have been using balsa with either nylon pin hinges or CA hinges for my foam core wings. On the Gee Bee, I removed 3/16" from the aileron cut out in the wing & the same for the leading edge of the aileron. I then cut that pattern out of the balsa & angle sand them before installation. I also mark a true to center for both pieces. this makes sure the hinges line up as perfect of a straight line as possible to avoid warps in the control surface. To get a good angle cut and maintain that straight line, I use tape. In this case, I used 1/16" pinstriping tape on the edge and painters tape along the center line. With this taped to to bench, I run a sanding block until the sand paper starts to touch both ends of the tape in a straight line. I mark the point for the hinges and carefully run an X-acto knife on the center line eyeballing it horizontal to the flying surface as I cut deeper. I start with # 11 and then make a few paces with a # 2. This will work for either CA hinges or pinned hinges. For the nylon plastic hinge, Formula 560 canopy glue holds them in place. Some folks prefer 30min epoxy. I've found either one to be rock solid. If U R using pink foam on a park flyer size, U might get a good hold with out the wood, hinged directly into the foam, but, I wouldn't do that with beaded foam.
Very good job on that cut. Yes, tails are essential to get a precise cut, yours is really good. Covering this with a 1mm basa sheat will make them strong as hellThis is my first really successful cut. I made the airfoil templates out of hobby sheet brass. I originally didn't put a "tail" on the templates but found that the "tails" are essential. I later epoxied some "T" pins to the back of the templates which worked well. They sure do help start the cut. I'm planning on covering the wing with 1.5 laminating film.
View attachment 231177
So what is it? A 60% Kwik Fly pattern ship.
windcatcherrc.com for the EPP.. might have to send them an email they are sold out. they also have depron which is basically a higher quality paper-off foam board suitable for more detailed or high performance indoor stuff. shipped very fast last time I ordered. practice with regular foam first (EPS) EPP is expensive stuff and usually difficult to obtain in small quantities
I didn’t notice you’ve been gone for a while good to have you back friendSorry... I've been off the forum for a bit. I use a light layer of gorilla glue. Go slowly with the bow and the wire will pass right through it without any issues. You can always go back and add additional glue to the joints in the panel if they feel flimsy after you cut the airfoil.
Finally got around to putting my bow together. I tried to keep it as simple as possible.
View attachment 234123
The wood pieces are yard sticks from Menards, 4 total. The tensioning cable is left over 1/4 scale flying wire cable and a 4" turnbuckle. I have small eyelets at the end of the arms for the cutting wire. The wire just loops through and is wound around itself. For cutting wire, I found some 26g nichrome wire on Amazon.
I still need to assemble the electronics. I am hoping to start test cutting some Wilmracer style box wings in the next week or two.