FF2017 Int. Racers: Caudron C.460

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
I updated the card for this plane:
card_c460.JPG

It is one of 60!
cards.jpg

Free download & more informations via airc-pirates.com!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thank you!! That is awesome!!

I printed a big sized copy of the earlier version of the card to be part of the static display at FFE in a couple days! :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
So I had an AWESOME time flying these at Flite Fest East!

First up, I took the prototype v3 33" wingspan up with a new motor shaft in the only Keda motor. No luck - she tumbled and again broke the motor shaft. So that's two shafts down, and time to switch motors. I moved the CG a little more, put in new motor, and again she was a mess in the air. So I took out the electronics and gave the parts to random people. :black_eyed:

On to prototype v4 - the full 1/6 scale 44" wingspan. I had a new 4s3000mah battery, and with shaking hands, got a hand launch for the pylon race. And she flew!! A little bit of a hand full on the roll axis, so I kept her up high during the race. I was the last one to finish - but I did finish 11 circuits (one of them cut the pylon so I went around an extra time). Landing was perfect too! :applause:

So for the next day it was the endurance race, and I didn't want to try to balance her out or fly her with the prescribed 3s1300mah battery. So I went up for a fun flight with everyone else and had a blast doing big circuits up and down the field! After my timer beeped I called out for a landing approach, and felt I was a little high still so I should go out a little further before making the base leg turn. And that's when I lost orientation, came straight down from about 50 feet up, and almost hit the well :(

IMG_0412.JPG

Yep - almost a direct hit on the steel.
IMG_0413.JPG

Came down so straight that the prop and spinner survived just fine...
IMG_0414.JPG

Needs a new nose though... pretty funny that it unplugged the motor on impact :black_eyed:
IMG_0415.JPG

So I'll be replacing the nose and racing her around the local field this summer.

Thanks to everyone who has provided advice and encouragement for my first design effort, and especially you crazy few who took the time to build a copy yourselves. It's been a blast! :applause:

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thank YOU for doing all the work and keeping such an excellent record of all things Caudron here for us. Most of all thank you for allowing me to participate and all that you have done to aid me to learn and build. All the feedback and encouragement and friendship I have gotten from Team Rockyboy was huge for my mental state. Then to get to meet you all at FFE and build the relationships further like we did was even better. Looking forward to more Team Rockboy endeavors in the future. :applause: :applause: :applause:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Handsome blue Caudron - Check
Field at a Flite Fest Event - Check
Broken Nose - Check

Now why does that ring a bell?

1-crash.JPG

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Probably because you guys never follow Bills number one law on life...

DON'T Lead with yer face..

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Tuned up the Rockyboy-Rocket and patched up some rough spots on the covering. Also stepped the spinner down a size to get a bit more cooling air in over the motor. Right now she has a 9x9e prop for the test and tune flight. The 10x10 will go back on, or perhaps even a cut down 9x10 to see how much I can push the envelope. She is headed to SEFF in 2 weeks and I'm looking forward to seeing how fast I can get her there. Might even get a chance to run against Joshua's folkert!

Attachments

• 20190416_203811.jpg
    20190416_203811.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Tuned up the Rockyboy-Rocket and patched up some rough spots on the covering. Also stepped the spinner down a size to get a bit more cooling air in over the motor. Right now she has a 9x9e prop for the test and tune flight. The 10x10 will go back on, or perhaps even a cut down 9x10 to see how much I can push the envelope. She is headed to SEFF in 2 weeks and I'm looking forward to seeing how fast I can get her there. Might even get a chance to run against Joshua's folkert!

Rip it good mate. Avenge team Rockboy for the pylon event at ffo17

Silkyslim001

I am very interested in building this plane. The cauldron is one of my favorite birds from that Era. Yhe lines remind me of an old Mercedes roadster with the long engine bay and cockpit towards the rear. I can't find the build plans anywhere. Can someone please help?

Tench745

Master member
I am very interested in building this plane. The cauldron is one of my favorite birds from that Era. Yhe lines remind me of an old Mercedes roadster with the long engine bay and cockpit towards the rear. I can't find the build plans anywhere. Can someone please help?
Plans are in the first post on this thread.