FF2017 Int. Racers: Caudron C.460

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Based on earlier advice from wilmracer, I set my CG marks 3.5 inches (90mm) back from where the leading edge met the fuse. Then when I balanced her before flight I would make her about 5-10 degrees nose heavy. This isn't too far away from what the latest calcs are saying.

DamoRC

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Had a great set of maiden flights on Sunday! Video from myself and wilmracer coming as soon as we edit. Many thanks to wilmracer and Tung from my club for the launch and video work. (I don't know Tung's username on the forums, but he should be out here somewhere...)

This design and testing process has really turned into a team effort and I can't express how much I appreciate their help, and Psyborg and DammoRC for their design input and testing as well, and all the other folks who have added their encouragement and advice here on the forum. You're all true scholar's and gentlemen in my book :applause:

Back to the flight report. The 33" wingspan v3 had a succesful bungee launch, but I had the throws set too high and didn't give her enough gas on the first turn - she stalled and broke the motor shaft on the way down, and then stabbed her own propeller into the fuselage. Yes, there are pictures to prove it - will post tonight :) New motor with a little higher kv ordered this morning.

Next wilmracer had a great maiden flight, working out the throws and confirmed DammoRC's recommendation of hanging around the 3.5" mark on the CG. I'll let him fill in the rest of the details on that flight.

Last we went with a hand launch on my 44" wingspan v4 - this is the one I'll be officially racing as it's true to 1/6" scale. I was about 3.25" back from the LE on the CG, and she handled great until the voltage sag set in - with a lack of power she started handling really mushy, but the landing came in just fine. I was using the biggest battery I have at the moment - a 3s2200mah - and that's not enough for this plane. I'll be buying a 4s3000 like wilmracer used before FFE. :)

But I can confirm that at this point, it looks like we'll have three Caudron's in the air at FFE - at least for a little while :black_eyed:

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Here is the video from my maiden. Right after launch it cuts for a split second... which was unfortunately the most "exciting" second of the flight where she was basically veering out of control. Once dialed back and throttled way down she was a pretty sweet flyer. Just a few adjustments and I think she'll be rocking and rolling.

My notes:
  • She needed a lot of up trim
  • Needed a fair amount of right aileron trim
  • She was balanced just ahead of DamoRC's CG
  • Adding throttle caused her to pitch down

I went for a second attempt that isn't on this video. I dialed all the rates way back but I will probably need to leave myself a bit more elevator throw for takeoffs... She pancaked in and broke a prop on that attempt. VERY minor damage that will just take a squirt of GG and a strip of low-temp and she'll be good as new.

I might get out and do some more testing tomorrow morning if the weather, wife, and child cooperate. We'll see :cool:

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
WAHOOO!!!!! Go Team ROCKYBOY!!! That was AWESOME. Easy to see with that paint scheme even from my seat four states away. It didn't disappear in cloud background on outer legs of the pattern like most other planes do on video. Seems like it flew nicely once it was trimmed even though you said rates were on the hot side.

Congratz teammate on a great maiden. Now I wanna see it run low pass full throttle at FFE

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Video processing still in progress (slow human, slow PC)

But here's a picture of the self-inflicted wound the 33" one gave herself - motor shaft broke and prop stuck right in the fuselage.

2017-07-02 10.15.16.jpg

On the good side, I saw that motor shipped with a spare shaft in the package - and even more amazing I was able to find it in my junk drawer! So I should be able to get this repaired in plenty of time for FFE. :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Now that HAD to be some spectacular feat to put the prop into the fuse BEHIND the wing like that and not have any other damage on the way by. I hope you got that on video.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Yeah, that was pretty special. :black_eyed: The crash is on video, but as it's the other end of the field it's a little hard to see the action. I'll get that one processed next.

Here's the maiden flight for the 44" wingspan v4 - this is the one at 1/6 scale that will be my official race entry.

wilmracer

Mentor
So while replacing the prop on mine I noticed that the upper firewall was a touch loose and could be pulled slightly forward. While this could have happened when the prop broke I didn't see any indication of broken or loose glue joints. I'm suspicious that this could have been the cause of the nose pitching down so much when more throttle was applied. I'm securing it now with additional foam and GG on both sides so it won't happen again. I also added one extra set of washers on the left side of the motor mount for a touch more right thrust.

I won't be able to get out today to test the changes but we'll see about later this week.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Looks like CG has been worked out well now. she glided right in and slid nicely on that landing. I did't see any proposing at all on the launch either. I know you also mentioned programming some elevator in on a switch for take offs. Was that method used on that launch as it still dropped after a good toss but did not have any wing rock or bad tendencies that I saw.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I had the elevator flat on launch and just gently pulled back once she started to drop - a little bit up ahead of the launch might have smoothed that out.

She really behaved very well for the first two minutes - then she got mushy in the turns and I had to keep increasing the throttle, which I'm thinking was voltage loss - after landing it was at 3.7 volts per cell on a 3s. She should go much better on 4s :)

wilmracer

Mentor
I had meant to share this but forgot until just a moment ago... This is the fusion 360 file for the radiator I used on my model. It is far from scale and could be done much better, but if someone wants one and doesn't want to spend the time to do it better then they are welcome to mine. Scale to what you want and hit it with some metallic paint and you're good to go.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ec1k2ofu1hwbnw/Caudron radiator Plate v2.f3d?dl=0

Caudron_Radiaor.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I had the elevator flat on launch and just gently pulled back once she started to drop - a little bit up ahead of the launch might have smoothed that out.

She really behaved very well for the first two minutes - then she got mushy in the turns and I had to keep increasing the throttle, which I'm thinking was voltage loss - after landing it was at 3.7 volts per cell on a 3s. She should go much better on 4s :)

It must be love then. You set it free and it came back to you. This must be the right one for the race :p