FF2017 Int. Racers: Caudron C.460

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Will it maiden this weekend?

DamoRC

It doesn't look like it. Hopefully next weekend, or maybe one evening this week. I probably wont be able to get the camera girl out with me. I'll definitely want someone to hand launch her for me on the maiden, and hopefully someone to run the camera.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I won't be able to do Saturday, but I think I can make something on Sunday work if you want to have a multi-Caudron maiden day :)

wilmracer

Mentor
I won't be able to do Saturday, but I think I can make something on Sunday work if you want to have a multi-Caudron maiden day :)

That sounds like it could work for me too. I've got a BBQ to be at by about 1:00PM but I could be out there early AM. Let me know what you're thinking :cool:

micro_builder

Yeah hopefully it turns out good, this thread should help. No build thread yet, recording the process to make it a movie, taking pics along the way though...will start a thread once I have a good handful of pics to post.

Nick

wilmracer

Mentor
I wasn't going to do any more detailing on this until after this weekend, but I was watching paint and glue dry on two other repairs so I decided to go ahead and run off the decals for lucky number 13 :cool:

I'm happy with how it turned out so far. For the awesome design Rockyboy get's the prominent spot on the vertical :applause: Big numbers were cut from low temp covering and the rest are waterslide decals. I have a pair of small decals of the Flite Fest International Air Race logo that I'm still debating a good spot for. It would look good on the bottom of the rudder but I'm also thinking forward fuselage to break up all that black.

Eagerly awaiting Sunday. Fingers crossed for good weather.

Attachments

• 20170628_234314.jpg
    20170628_234314.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20170628_234745.jpg
    20170628_234745.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 0

HilldaFlyer

Carl - fantastic looking plane. Thanks for sharing.... been following intensely the both builds of this planes. I'm just amazed at your guys' talent. Looking forward to seeing these at FF17

wilmracer

Mentor
Carl - fantastic looking plane. Thanks for sharing.... been following intensely the both builds of this planes. I'm just amazed at your guys' talent. Looking forward to seeing these at FF17

Thanks! I can't wait to see everyone (and their projects) at FF17. Getting SO close now. :cool::cool::cool:

I'm hoping to get 2 or 3 flights in on her this Sunday so I can adjust everything and get her dialed in for the racing. I feel really good about her chances (on edit: chances to fly, not chances to win ;-)). Her wing loading is lower than the eflite rare bear and Nerdnic has more than proven the power system. I'll start with a hopefully nose-heavy CG and dial her in from there. That HUGE battery tray will allow me to stuff any 4s pack I have in. The 4s 3000 will be used for maiden and 4000 will also be tested.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Love it!! The decals especially, but I might be biased there :)

I actually bought a 12" vinyl cutter to try and do some nicer decal work myself, but haven't been able to spend enough time with it to start cutting yet. What process/tools are you using for the decals?

wilmracer

Mentor
Love it!! The decals especially, but I might be biased there :)

I actually bought a 12" vinyl cutter to try and do some nicer decal work myself, but haven't been able to spend enough time with it to start cutting yet. What process/tools are you using for the decals?

For the decals I use Testors Decal paper. You just print on them with an inkjet printer, seal them with a few layers of clear, and then apply them as water-slide decals. Works well. I always print extra because I'm never gentle enough applying them and I always ruin a few. They have clear and white-backed paper that helps colors pop against a dark background. The ones you see here are on the clear, and the little one of the air race logo not pictured is on white-backed.

For the larger ones cut from covering I just print a stencil on heavy card stock and cut it with an exacto. Then tape the stencil to some covering and cut. Then I apply the stencil to the model with tape and use it to align the covering film. Tack in place with an iron, pull the stencil, and seal it all down. Works well for larger blocky stuff but IMO it would be a HUGE pain to do the smaller stuff this way.

Still looking good for Sunday?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Sunday morning is good! I'll bring my bungee launcher as well as both my (currently in one piece) Caudrons. I was hoping to have the EPP Cuda ready for maiden as well, but that's looking a little iffy at this point. Just running out of time :)

wilmracer

Mentor
Sunday morning is good! I'll bring my bungee launcher as well as both my (currently in one piece) Caudrons. I was hoping to have the EPP Cuda ready for maiden as well, but that's looking a little iffy at this point. Just running out of time :)

Awesome. I'm going to shoot for being there by 9:00AM. May have a few to check out after repairs. :cool:

wilmracer

Mentor
HERE IS THE LINK to the CG calculations I did. Anyone is welcome to chime in. My gut tells me this is too far aft after watching Rockboy fly his... Could be the long nose and might need more on the static margin. Not sure...

AUW with the 4s 4000 mAh pack is 54oz, which puts the cube loading at 15.5. That isn't too bad for a warbird or a racer IMHO.

Can't wait for Sunday!

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Yikes! That's a long way behind where my glide testing on V1 put the CG - which was only 1/3 back from the LE, not half way! I'm balancing the next batch at 1/4 chord back from the LE leaving the shop. The grass should be plenty tall if we want to do some glide testing before powered flight though.

wilmracer

Mentor
Yikes! That's a long way behind where my glide testing on V1 put the CG - which was only 1/3 back from the LE, not half way! I'm balancing the next batch at 1/4 chord back from the LE leaving the shop. The grass should be plenty tall if we want to do some glide testing before powered flight though.

Yeah... I think it is off a fair amount. Redid some of the math to account for a "fat" fuselage ahead of the wing. There is a lot of surface area up there and in those situations the tool recommends starting with an extra 5% on the static margin. With the static margin at 25-20% the CG does show right around 1/3 MAC. I think your glide tests probably weren't far off.

HERE IS THE UPDATED CALC

We can definitely do some additional glide testing if the grass looks tall enough. We'll get it dialed in :cool: